Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PRINT AND PLAY FILES ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE, PLEASE STOP ASKING. I WILL NO LONGER BE RESPONDING TO REQUESTS FOR THE PRINT AND PLAY FILES

Since the Steam version of DMD has updated a few things (which will hopefully make it to the iOS version sooner or later), TRB4 and I have started to tinker again.

There are higher resolution assets, so I will be re-doing the trait cards to correct for the slapdashy resolution of the ones from the first go around.

I will be making two file packs eventually. One with just the new / updated stuff for folks who may have already printed with the original file pack. A second will contain the new, v2 set of the game.

Another change that I am making is that we will be removing the rules cards and using a rules booklet instead. I will make two versions of the file: printer friendly, low color, and a full color one. Formatted so you can print at home and easily fold up to put with the cards. This makes it MUCH easier to update the rules for changes without requiring that people have to order new cards and the like.

Of course, new cards, means a new tuck box will be in order. Once they are all done and I get a set printed up, I'll re-do the tuckbox as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a preview of the change in the Trait cards. On the left is the v1 card for Captain's Hook, on the right is the v2, using the higher resolution assets (look, the gem isn't all tiny and kinda silly looking!).

The assets used for the v1 cards was pretty low, which is why the gems were so tiny on them. This brings the Trait cards more in line visually with the other cards in terms of layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Joe, thanks for the effort. I didn't yet order my cards from printshop but I made a pnp version at home. I like the left card (v1) more than the one with the larger token. Maybe the best size would be something in between. Just my 2 Cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's odd, really. Looking at them standalone, I've always liked the original ones (slightly pixely art aside), but what made me decide to do the gems larger was the print versions. The art assets on all of the other cards (suits and characters) are much larger and take up more of the body of the card than the v1 Trait card gems. So much so that, in print, I think my original Trait cards actually look a little funny. That's why I went ahead and made the v2 ones so much larger.

I will probably print out a couple of the new ones to see them side by side with the physical cards to see how they look. Again, the v1 cards looked fine in the digital format, but in meatspace, not so much, so I want to avoid the same issue to the opposite end of the scale with the v2 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Barnes
United States
San Jose
CA
flag msg tools
mb
For the "Upgrade Pack" you might want to make a V1 Trait Card for Sirens, for people who don't want to reprint the other 17 trait cards to match the V2 style Sirens card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TRB4 wrote:
For the "Upgrade Pack" you might want to make a V1 Trait Card for Sirens, for people who don't want to reprint the other 17 trait cards to match the V2 style Sirens card.

Definitely something to consider when putting it together. My plan is to first put together a v2 complete file pack, then pull out what's needed for a v1 -> v2 upgrade pack. The v1 Sirens card may simply be a file I upload here as a standalone thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, just an update.

This weekend was unfortunately an unproductive one on the V2 front. I still need to update the rulebook (we're moving to that instead of rules cards) and I have not yet gotten to print up a couple of the new traits to see how they look in meat space before finalizing their design.

I should be able to get to both some time this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks!

Life happened, so there were some delays. I finally got around to printing out a couple of the v2 traits and /boy/ were those way too big. I've reduced them to 85% of the new size and they are a much better match now for the other cards.

I'm working to finalize the v2 deck today (which should also mean the update pack of cards, too). The rulebook is still in progress and will come a little later (hopefully this week).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The v2 Deck and the v1-v2 Update pack are done. I'm waiting for Ted to give them a looksee before I start to distribute them. As before, the files may NOT be posted publicly, but can be distributed privately (as per Stardock's request). I will post here to let people know when they are ready to go out.

I have also uploaded the Rules Booklet for v1 to the files section (it should show up soonit's there now). I will post v2 there as well once it is complete.

I should also have an updated Tuckbox for the v2 deck soon (I just need to pile up cards and the update Rules Booklet to get the proper thickness). To keep from making multiple pages, I will have both the v1 and v2 versions of each of these files on those pages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And we're good to go.

The full V2 file as well as the V1-V2 upgrade file. PM me or TRB4 for the link.

The Rule Booklet is coming along. I'm monkeying with layout right now to make it easy and inexpensive for home printing (as well as a nice, full color version for people to print).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ramsey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey Joe, awesome work. However, the title of the card seems awfully close to the top for my tastes. Attached for your consideration are a couple of your trait cards from V1 that I played with to make them more consistent with the character cards that come with the game - what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Steve,

Nice edit on the cards. I can't actually recall why I did the layout on the traits the way I did originally (probably because I cannibalized the layout from the Rules Cards), but this is definitely something to consider.

I'll try playing with the v2 cards to see how they look rearranged like this with the larger trait gems. One caveat: I've got a midterm, two papers, and a pile of appointments over the next few weeks, so my priority is on the Rules Booklet for v2, so the revised Traits will probably be a few weeks out.

The Booklet is mostly done, I'm just playing with layout options to use as little paper as possible and not just be confusing as hell to put together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls