rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, for your Battlestar Galactica games using the Daybreak expansion, which elements from the previous expansions (Pegasus and Exodus) should be included? There are already several threads discussing this, but I thought it would be much more useful to collect the opinions in a poll.

Poll: Battlestar Galactica: Daybreak additions
Which elements from Pegasus and Exodus do you include in your games with Daybreak?
1. Which elements from Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Pegasus Expansion do you include?
  Yes No
Alternate Investigative Committee cards
Characters
Pegasus board
Skill cards
Destination cards
Quorum cards
Crisis cards
Super Crisis cards
Cylon Loyalty card
Treachery deck
New Caprica
2. Which elements from Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Exodus Expansion do you include?
  Yes No
Characters
Cylon Fleet Board and CAG
Skill cards
Destination cards
Quorum cards
Crisis cards
Conflicted Loyalty: Final Five
Conflicted Loyalty: Personal Goals
Ionian Nebula
      60 answers
Poll created by Rainstar

Poll
Somehow these options got cut out of the Exodus entry. Please answer them below.
Which of these additional elements from Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game – Exodus Expansion do you include?
  Yes No
Super Crisis cards
Cylon Loyalty cards
      30 answers
Poll created by Rainstar

Feel free to comment below if you would like other options added, or if you have more specific recommendations for a Daybreak game.

Edit: added missed elements as a second poll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot:
E Plastic Basestars

(MkVII Vipers and CAG go together with CFB.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
You forgot:
E Plastic Basestars

I'm pretty sure these are a necessary inclusion, if you've got Pegasus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PEGASUS
-Peg IC is now incorporated in ALL games of BSG, even just base game.
-Ellen is more fun to play now that Daybreak Treachery is more annoying to manage and discard. Kat also gets a boost having 4 and 5-str Treachery cards to feed her special
-Peggy, had one game where one vet just didn't feel like putting out another board on a relatively cramped table (with CFB and Demetrius). I think we could've made it work, but I just didn't feel like getting into an argument, so I let it go. Unless the cylons need a handicap, I keep it in since I tend to stick with the rules there.
-The new skill cards give variety to otherwise relatively boring characters, like Chief. Also, making Treachery positive or leaving out DD creates some new tactics... is it worth it to have such awful Day Treachery effects just to pass the check?
-Qcards, I felt even using a 10-Qcard hand limit rule in the base game wasn't enough. There were so few cards in the Qcard deck that cycling was still on the table. At minimum, an 8-Qcard hand limit, but with the 9 extra Qcards, it's much better.
-crisis... random executions can be too swingy for some, but it does create some unique situations. Also, the crisis cards that dole out Treachery are more deadly
-super crisis... too many games were reversed due to Massive Assault. Having 5 extra ones makes it less likely that the precursor to all the issues folks have with the Basestar Bridge is at least less likely to be drawn from revealing and Res. Ship action. Plus, it's the primary way to see Super Crisis cards in Event format (Exodus does has a CAG Chooses one), which also creates a twist when humans try to bulk up on skill cards in anticipation of doing a skill check one.
-loyalty card, again, now that Treachery can trigger more frequently (not necessarily hit harder), this is more fun to play with
-Treachery... I wouldn't leave Treachery out just for the heck of it... if Daybreak's not used, then break out the old browns.
-I wouldn't want to do NC all the time, but I do like variety

EXODUS
-chars, some of them seem to be OP or have spammable abilities, but for the moment, I have no reason to veto nor block any of them. Variety always ices my cake. Plus, Cultar and Cally can create some riotous situations
-I've had one game where humans managed to meta-game the CFB all the way to Earth, so no more than a few cylon ships ever made it to the MGB. If this gets worse, I may decide to borrow a houserule that the Pursuit track always goes up with a cylon ship icon. These days, it's harder to play CFB on account of still getting newbies every now and then, so I do jump on this when I can. I'll reach a point where I won't mind reverting back to CAC for more variety
-the 6-cost skill cards can be powerful, but it does add extra "oomph" to the game (and the game can already be random enough as is). Unlike Daybreak 0s, I like how the 0-str skill cards can be played AND resolved without soft-revealing yourself.
-Almost all of the Destinations take up at least one fuel, but again, add more variety. Lion's Head Nebula is also an extreme one that can eat up 4 Fuel, so the threat of that from a cylon admiral always makes things nice and tenser!
-Qcard, although only 3 of them, they do have their parts... mulligan your hand of Qcards for better ones, or force discard good ones Gain pop, or transfer Admiral/CAG
-Sure, why not with the crisis cards? Not likely to find any consequence ones, but the CAG Chooses ones add more flair with icons that now appear mid-card.
-PG and FF, despite some of its randomness, I do like a solid reason NOT to look at a player's loyalty card other than he's a cylon. And PG does encourage a cylon to stay unrevealed if nothing else.
-IN... same as NC, wouldn't want to play this all the time, but for more variety every now and then

a1bert wrote:
You forgot:
E Plastic Basestars

Eh... they're nice, but if I could've gotten a $15 discount option to not to include those, I'd gladly jump on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
a1bert wrote:
You forgot:
E Plastic Basestars

Eh... they're nice, but if I could've gotten a $15 discount option to not to include those, I'd gladly jump on that.

From this discussion about Race for the Galaxy: Alien Artifacts, it seems likely that removing the plastic pieces would not only have limited impact on the price, but it would also make the product commercially nonviable. In other words, fancy pieces sell boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainstar wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
a1bert wrote:
You forgot:
E Plastic Basestars

From this discussion about Race for the Galaxy: Alien Artifacts, it seems likely that removing the plastic pieces would not only have limited impact on the price, but it would also make the product commercially nonviable. In other words, fancy pieces sell boxes.
Indeed they're probably not worth that much, but that's been the going price around these forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I excludeteh CFB when going to Earth, but include it otherwise...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, I'd like to thank everyone sincerely for submitting their selections. It is nice to see the poll get a lot of attention, and I think that the results are useful.

I missed two options in the Exodus question (Super Crisis cards and Cylon Loyalty cards), and I have added them above as a second poll (inside the original post).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial observations:

1. The overall result seems to be to include "all the new options, except for the scenarios". The original treachery deck is not supposed to be used in Daybreak, so it is not surprising most people don't use it. Most groups are including everything else.

2. While they are used by most groups, a number of options are not universal: in particular, the Cylon Fleet Board and the Conflicted Loyalties cards. The Cylon Fleet Board drastically changes the game, so I can understand why it is not loved by all. It is interesting that Conflicted Loyalties is somewhat controversial. However, I am more surprised at the relative lack of popularity of the Cylon Loyalty card from Pegasus. It seems like an automatic inclusion to me. This could just be due to sampling, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, the poll is also missing a "sometimes" option. I said no to each of the scenarios because I wouldn't always play either with Daybreak, but they both make it into the rotation sometimes (though New Caprica less than the Nebula for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainstar wrote:
However, I am more surprised at the relative lack of popularity of the Cylon Loyalty card from Pegasus.
We used to leave it out (deals treachery, right?) with the "send to sickbay" Cylon Loyalty card before Daybreak. With Daybreak the treachery has more teeth, so now we include all.

(I expect we at some later time will still try with Allies/Ionian Nebula, so I left the answer out from both. Edit: Allies were used pre-Daybreak for 4-player games to give a bit of help for both humans and cylons. With Daybreak we can now play with Cylon Leaders if we only have 4 players.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rain
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
Well, the poll is also missing a "sometimes" option. I said no to each of the scenarios because I wouldn't always play either with Daybreak, but they both make it into the rotation sometimes (though New Caprica less than the Nebula for me).

The intention of the poll is to gather your general suggestion if someone asked you "What should I include?", so I didn't leave that option in. I am pressuring you to decide : ) Feel free to change your answer, or leave a line blank if you aren't sure. Of course, it may be a good idea to add a "it depends" option in a later version.

All that said, I'd really be interested to hear the specifics for everyone's "it depends" or "sometimes" options in the comments section here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Rainstar wrote:
However, I am more surprised at the relative lack of popularity of the Cylon Loyalty card from Pegasus.
We used to leave it out (deals treachery, right?) with the "send to sickbay" Cylon Loyalty card before Daybreak. With Daybreak the treachery has more teeth, so now we include all.

That's the gist of it, although making humans discard a random skill card can be sweet. And then you drawing 2 Treachery to start off a cylon turn with up to 5 cards can make a solid impact.
... each human player discards 1 random Skill Card and draws 1 Treachery Card. Then you draw 2 Treachery Cards (after you discard down to 3 skill cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rainstar wrote:
The intention of the poll is to gather your general suggestion if someone asked you "What should I include?", so I didn't leave that option in. I am pressuring you to decide : )

...but the question doesn't have an answer in the general sense. I suppose I could answer based on how I feel right now...but that would simply reflect what I've played recently (as I like to change things up from play to play), rather than some notion of "the perfect set-up".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls