Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergio Pernas
Spain
A Corunna
A Corunna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Finally I got my playgroup to try Mage Wars out. We're a group of former (the days of old, third edition) Magic players, so we'll like to start with a reasonable amount of cards to start constructing decks once we leave apprentice mode, and start doing a common buy to get the balance right as we learn the game.

There's four of us, so, what should we get? A couple of cores, and four tomes (2 of each)? I think we can leave the new mages behind for now. When the bug bites it will be different, but as for now, what should we buy?

Thanks a lot,
Sergio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're group will likely want their own stuff after a few plays. Instead of getting 2 of each of the tomes, just get 2 more core sets. It's not much more, you'll get more cards (the tomes have the exact same cards as the core, and each of the tomes have 110 cards, and each core set has 330), and you'll be glad in the long run.

I would either do that, or if you want more variety:
2 of you get a core + the Forcemaster vs Warlord expansion
and 2 of you get a core + Druid vs Necromancer expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Guytan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to need 2 Core Sets just for the action markers and spellbooks alone. If everyone still needs more copies of cards, then you hit the Core Spell Tomes.

If you've got more than 4 players, and don't want another Core Set, get spellbook packs and action marker packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, my vote is for a couple of pizzas and a keg of beer.

But yea, just buy one of everything, and an extra base set. You'll have more than you need for lots of variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Madd
United States
Statesboro
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post here provides a detailed break down between the advantages of getting spell tomes or core sets.

Basically one core set should be compared to getting two copies of spell tome 1 AND one copy of spell tome 2. These two options cost about the same and provide almost the same number of cards. The difference is in the distribution of spells, which is discussed in detail in the post I linked to.

The author of that post concludes that the spell tomes provide a better spread of spells but only slightly, and I agree with him. In contrast the core set has almost as good of a distribution, and provides you with a board, books, markers, tokens, and dice. When you take everything into account, the core set is obviously the better value for your money, but there's only so many of those extras you actually need.

I think if you are providing the resources for four people to play, getting two core sets is a no brainer, but you will probably want more cards in addition to that. I would personally buy a third core set, and then maybe one or two copies of spell tome 1. You may decide differently based on what spells and mages your group is interested in.

You can find a complete list of what spells are included in what products on the Arcane Wonders website. This may also help you make your decision. http://www.arcanewonders.com/resources-and-downloads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my buy order would be:
1)1st base game
2)2nd base game
3)extra action marker pack (yellow & green)
4)Wizard & priestess spellbooks (some people don't care which books they use, or even skip the books altogether, but I really enjoy matching each mage up with a thematically skinned spellbook)

At this point I would either start looking into expansions, or a 3rd base game. I would only grab a spell tome(s) after you've already started playing around with deck construction, and have identified some cards you think you'll need more of in your play group. Even then I would check some of the core game/spell tome comparison charts to see if you'd be better off getting another base game or one of the tomes to fill the need you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeramy Poulin
United States
San Digeo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Spell Tomes are first printing still (afaik) while the core set is in it's third printing. This only matters for a few cards but it might bother some people to have older versions that have received errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Pernas
Spain
A Corunna
A Corunna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks!

Right now, we're taking off with 2 cores. After apprentice mode and a couple of evenings, I'm quite sure we'll drift to a third core or expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually go straight for expansions for more card variety and just sub in for what people consider important wherever (obviously not playing competitively). 2x core set is okay too though, but you don't really need any of the spell tomes or spell books or markers with 2x core sets since at that point you'll have enough (the markers would be nice though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 4 players are you all using 2 boards? I was curious if so how crowded is it getting? Also are you going 2v2 or everyone for themselves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Madd
United States
Statesboro
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play team games (2v2) with four people. I use special variant rules I developed where each team has a shared life pool. The amount of life in this pool can be adjusted for game length, but we go with 75% of the two mages combined life total. My variant also utilizes Team Initiative rather than Individual Initiative. The full details can be found here.

When playing these types of team games, we play on a single board. It does get a little crowded, but it also keeps the action going. It is very hard to escape from two people on a single board. Getting separated from your team mate can be killer in a team game.

When I play FFA I prefer a larger board, but I actually don't like playing FFA because none of the board configurations allow all of the players to start equidistant as is. It requires a modification to the arena to allow for fair starting positions.

I'm looking forward to the Modular Boards that they've mentioned coming in the future. I have a suspicion that a 4x4 layout would be better for team games (giving just a little extra room), and 5x5 would be best for FFA games (allowing equidistant starting position for all players in 3 or 4 player games and allowing ample room for everyone).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls