Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to apologize right off the bat because this is all coming from memories of a game played over 20 years ago.

To give a little back story, we played this in my World History (or maybe U.S. History) class, and there are only sparse memories left from what this game was...if it was indeed a game at all. Here's what I know:

1. There were several nations that were involved in this game. The class was divided between these nations. I believe that while the nations had fictitious names, it was implied that they were fictional representatives of actual nations.

2. Every "round" we would have to talk as a nation about what we were looking for. If we needed to import goods we would have to talk to the nations that provided those goods and work out a trade. I distinctly remember each nation having a specific thing in which they excelled(agriculture, manufacturing, etc.).

3. Each nation had a "leader". While the group was supposed to talk about decisions in a democratic fashion, the leader could chose whatever orders he or she wanted and execute those.

4. And speaking of executing, one nation actually had a coup and disposed of their leader by assassination.

5. I seem to have a memory of each nation having a flag - and I'm pretty sure one of them kinda resembled the old Traffic album John Barleycorn Must Die:

6. I can say without a doubt that this was NOT Diplomacy. Unless, that is, some odd variant exists that I haven't seen before.

So hopefully the hivemind will have better luck than I have finding out what this was!

(BTW, I'm going to be very disappointed if Chapel doesn't at least have a guess.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
It's almost certainly a game designed specifically for classroom use, like Dangerous Parallel (but that probably isn't the one you're thinking of).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

Did it have cards or a board or any such thing that indicated it was a commercial product?
It may have been a teacher constructed simulation. This happened a lot in high schools, where the game played was completely created by the teachers involved.
Just saying you may not find an identifiable title to hang this one on.

edit: Like Dan said, just ahead of me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tanik wrote:

Did it have cards or a board or any such thing that indicated it was a commercial product?
It may have been a teacher constructed simulation. This happened a lot in high schools, where the game played was completely created by the teachers involved.
Just saying you may not find an identifiable title to hang this one on.

edit: Like Dan said, just ahead of me...

It could be an educational simulation which was a published product. There used to be a fair number of those. (And I don't recall ever playing something designed entirely by my teachers.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
It's almost certainly a game designed specifically for classroom use, like Dangerous Parallel (but that probably isn't the one you're thinking of).

Wow. I'm 99% sure that's it!!! I'm going to confirm with a friend that was in that class as well. But I think that's it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smith
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might as well go to 99.9 because Nordo (India) has the flag that you mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gough
United States
Lockport
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a similar game, if not the same one, that I played in Government class in High School as well. I remembered it being called Propaganda or something similar but assumed it was a game made up by my teacher. It seems it might have been a real game now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hartman
United States
Albion
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yah. I'm going to say that was it.

I remember the nations of Nordo, Transania and New Zenith being in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
tool wrote:

Wow. I'm 99% sure that's it!!! I'm going to confirm with a friend that was in that class as well. But I think that's it!

Wow, that flag really did look like the cover of that Traffic album.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh great! Now you've got Stevie Winwood in my head. I can't rest until I put on one of those old albums.
...not necessarily a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls