Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
I was excited about this game when I first came across it, but was quickly turned off when I learned that the retail version will be missing out on at least 11 characters that were exclusive to Kickstarter. I don't touch Kickstarter, and things like this are exactly why. To me 8 heroes and 3 villains is a huge deal to be left out for future fans of the game.

Now with the game a few days away from retail release, I'm taking one last look to see if there is any news on perhaps bringing those exclusives into retail at a later date. I don't mean any vague 'maybe, who knows we'll see' news, but actual plans to even things out for people who like buying at the brick and mortar level.

I'm fine passing on this if not, as I've passed on others, but with some fair play for retail buyers this could be good.

Getting your game funded is important, but it's a marathon, not a sprint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is far from arriving at retail, it hasn't even finished production yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
decaramas wrote:
This game is far from arriving at retail, it hasn't even finished production yet.

That is what I thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Ah, a week ago I was told February 15th. Regardless, the date or timing has nothing to do with my posting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, if they had produced the game without kickstarter and released it just as the retail version is going to be released now, would you have considered it a good buy?

If not, don't buy it. If you would have considered it a good buy under those circumstances, why allow the fact someone else (who took some risk in 'pre-ordering' via KS) gets more deter you from enjoying the retail version?

I guess I've never understood being jealous of what some one else has to the point that I deny myself something I would enjoy out of spite.

Could you imagine not buying a car you want because a few months ago the dealer offered free Limited Edition Deluxe Floor Mats but now does not? Can you imagine never buying a sausage and egg biscuit from McDonald's just because they had a 2 for 1 offer sometime in the past?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I went in for just the base game. Then again, I tend to do that pretty often with kickstarters.

I figure a game should be able to stand on its own merits. Sure I got a few extra figures to vary gameplay up, but I'm hoping there's enough there in the core box to keep me entertained.

(In full disclosure I couldn't pledge the full amount at the time due to other obligations.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
jakecarol wrote:
Just out of curiosity, if they had produced the game without kickstarter and released it just as the retail version is going to be released now, would you have considered it a good buy?

If not, don't buy it. If you would have considered it a good buy under those circumstances, why allow the fact someone else (who took some risk in 'pre-ordering' via KS) gets more deter you from enjoying the retail version?

I guess I've never understood being jealous of what some one else has to the point that I deny myself something I would enjoy out of spite.

Could you imagine not buying a car you want because a few months ago the dealer offered free Limited Edition Deluxe Floor Mats but now does not? Can you imagine never buying a sausage and egg biscuit from McDonald's just because they had a 2 for 1 offer sometime in the past?

Had there been no Kickstarter and no mention of any other heroes aside from the 4 in the base game, no I would not have bought it. That doesn't seem to me to be enough to work with after a few sessions. However the reason I was interested was that I had looked at the Kickstarter page and noticed other heroes and villains mentioned. Typically I browse the Kickstarter page for a game to see what future content the game will have, and to get a good read on what the base game comes with. If I see that all of the things mentioned are exclusives, I move on. The fact that some of the exclusives seemed to be vague in some of what I read made me curious to check again.

To be clear, my issue is with a huge gap in play options for the retail game, at least compared to what a 'preorder' customer would have. I have no problems with and no jealousy towards anyone who got the Kickstarter edition, that's great for you and I hope you enjoy it. That route is just not for me, and I'm not alone in that approach. The issue I have is with the game's longevity.

It is easy for someone to order a 'Kickstarter with the works' and be happy with what they bought and scoff at anyone for stating that the retail version is lacking, and make comparisons to McMuffin sales and cars. What you are not taking into consideration is that the customer base for the game will not be anywhere near what it could be if they close off the retail end. Do you want the game to do well, or do you just want the game for yourself, and you don't care what happens afterwards? Your attitude is the exact opposite of what crowdfunding was meant to be, and your 'preorder' mentality says it all. You do it for the shades.

Plenty of Kickstarters have offered exclusives that either did not have anything different (say, a different model of a miniature) than the retail version. There have also been plenty that did offer exclusives that you couldn't find anywhere else, but they held those exclusives to a minimum. Those exclusives won't hurt retail because the base game still came with plenty, and there weren't too many things left out.

But 11 exclusives, maybe more? That's a big gap, and anyone not wearing their fan goggles and interested in a game's growth instead of their own table would agree.

I can see that there are no actual answers to my legitimate question, so anyone hurt by my statement that the game's retail version looks lacking, just re-read this post. An internet forum is an internet forum is an internet forum, I see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoloBCD wrote:

I can see that there are no actual answers to my legitimate question, so anyone hurt by my statement that the game's retail version looks lacking, just re-read this post. An internet forum is an internet forum is an internet forum, I see.

I'm sorry, what was your question?

Looking at the topic title and the opening post, I see zero question marks, and instead a bunch of statements and opinions. The replies went along those lines too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot (if not all) of the heroes, and villains that are labelled 'exclusive' are actually not. Not really. The cards that many of them come with are exclusive, but the figures will be coming out at retail later. The only difference between the Kickstarter versions and the regular ones are the cards - the way they play.

I hope that answers your question. Most of the stuff will be coming out later, just slightly different game play elements for the retail versions.

At least this is what I recall from Iello saying during the Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope Both the base character and the rookie and veteran card sets are labeled KS exclusives on the main page! A lot of people would be pissed paying $20 for the set of each and then having iello change them to non exclusive!!
EDIT-This was the only comment by IELLO that I could find in the comments on KS:

@Don: yes, the following are NOT KS exclusive: Liberty Patrol, Villain Pack, Night Squad. Some minis might be released later with different poses and different stats on their ID card and powers.
I will work on the wording of the Rookie/Veteran packs

So they are exclusive but the characters may come out with new sclpts and stat cards. They are indeed KS exclusive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Ghool/necroloid123, thank you for your responses, that's not bad news at all. If it falls under the 'different sculpt, different power' style like the Sentinels of the Multiverse promos (different art/name/powers), no big deal.

It does still seem a bit vague, but I suppose some of it may be a translation thing, and some of it may be them not wanting to give backers the idea that they will be screwed down the road.

This information gets me interested again, so thanks very much for your posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I understand, the "character" may show up again, but in a totally new sculpt and different play mechanics. So although it is the same "character" the actual game piece should play quite differently than the KS exclusive version. So for all intents and purposes they will be different things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
As long as the characters are coming and there will be more options, I'm good with that. I'm fine with the character sculpts and mechanics being different, just as I don't think twice about buying up anything Sentinels of the Multiverse related. Their promos feature the characters with different art, names, and powers, but they are still represented in retail.

The reason I compare the two is that Sentinels offered a lot of variety out of the gate and has continued to do so, so my concern was that with only 4 characters in the base game of Guardians, it may never amount to any variety and you could be stuck with those exact 4 every game.

I'm still not sure if I'll buy it upon release, as I may wait until more characters are available to avoid any burnout after a few plays, but at least I'm now interested again.

Thanks again for posting the info and clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug LaVigne
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now if you don't mind waiting an undetermined amount of time, you can join the pledge manager again... Or buy a pledge off of someone who wants out. I am still waiting for my pledge. Hopefully not forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrawn 007
msg tools
At this point it's questionable whether any of those "exclusive" heroes will ever exist anyway (even if we assume the main game will come out) so I certainly wouldn't worry about making a retail purchase decision based on them.

I'd argue retail is vastly superior because:
1) It will be way cheaper
2) You can see exactly what you are getting when you buy it.
3) You can get it in your hands when you buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
While I appreciate the recent replies, the publishers/developers themselves have effectively made my mind up, because based on what I have seen in the other thread with regard to how supporters have been duped (changing the minis, lack of communication, huge delays, refusing to answer requests for refunds, etc.), I have completely lost interest in this and any other product from the same company.

It's another reason I refuse to Kickstart anything, but I had no interest in jumping in here with an 'I told you so' comment. I wish all the backers luck in either eventually getting something worthwhile out of your money or getting a refund.

I would strongly recommend anyone interested in this game to do some research, read the other threads on here, listen to what all of the angry backers are saying, decide what you want from companies you give your money to, and then make up your mind as I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have backed a lot of KS campaigns and when they finish I usually create a checklist for myself so that I can keep track of what I have or haven't gotten if things get sent in multiple shipments.

So here's the list of stuff I am supposed to receive with my $190 US (shipping to Canada) pledge. If anyone is interested that turns into about $216CAD. As far as I know this is complete and accurate. Whether those of us who are staying on board will ever receive it is another story entirely...

Villains Strike Back pledge level
---------------------------------
1 copy of the game "Guardians Chronicles" includes:
10 Androids miniatures
10 Gynoids miniatures
10 Arachnoids
4 Heroes miniatures (w/ sheet & 3 sets of cards: regular, rookie and veteran)
- Sgt Freedom
- Super Nova
- Golden Boy
- Adam Spell
1 Pr SKAROV miniature w/ character sheet
3 Kinoichi sister miniatures w/ character sheets
The Emissary (KS exclusive)
9 double-sided room tiles
20 Event cards
5 Heroes dice
5 Villains dice
5 Neutral dice