Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeved up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leah Waterworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, I've taken the plunge and brought enough sleeves for this game (mainly because I'm such a bad shuffler and feared cards splitting) and they arrived this morning. I went for standard mayday sleeves, despite all of the horrible thing I've read about them! I wanted a nice thin sleeve so I wouldn't have unstable high piles.......of cards (attempt at humour). My husband uses the Ultra Pro ones with the little hologram on them for LTOR card game which are really sturdy but to thick for me. Anyway, I put them all in their sleeves and everyone fitted perfectly and I'm really happy with them.

Played first game with the sleeves just now (solo go at King of Londinium, made it with one turn to spare and 6k left in my pocket!) and they've held up fine against my crap shuffling.

To get to the point, what I'm saying is I'm very happy with my Mayday sleeves plus they are loads cheaper than other makes. Just need to perfect my storage now!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used the MayDay penny sleeves for my LotR and my Star Wars LCG games, and I've been very happy with them. Mainly their cost to sleeve so many cards is quite good. Occasionally when I play, a sleeve might get mangled or ripped, and so I'll replace it, but what can you expect with penny sleeves? I don't mind replacing the few per year while I play.

Having said that, for most my other board games, I end to use FFG's sleeves. Very high quality, and for board games, there usually aren't as many cards. Firefly though has a lot of cards, so if I were to sleeve it, I'd probably go with MayDay's penny sleeves.

-shnar
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I used the standard Mayday sleeves as well and they work great, especially for the price.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Koenig
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am generally a "sleever", but I could not find a reason to sleeve this game. Too many cards, they don't get handled enough, and then don't get shuffled enough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSun wrote:
Played first game with the sleeves just now and they've held up fine against my crap shuffling.

And the fact that it is your "first" game with the sleeves is the key here. Maydays are good for about 6-8 plays before you start seeing issues. The microsleeves that came with Among the Stars were good for about three plays, but now they are starting to stick. I will be forced to replace with premium FFs before the year is out. A friend of mine bought them for Ascension and they started splitting in less than a week. Its really going to depend on how frequently you play and, sometimes, the temperature you store the game in.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
koenigcitizen wrote:
I am generally a "sleever", but I could not find a reason to sleeve this game. Too many cards, they don't get handled enough, and then don't get shuffled enough.

I would say, at the very least, the movement cards get handled and shuffled a TON.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sleeved my games chronically for years. However, with this game, as well as the Pathfinder Card Game, I deemed it too cumbersome. As I have been playing, I have come to enjoy the feel of the actual cards in my hands and am going to reconsider sleeving in the future. I know they may wear out faster, but sometimes the cost of sleeves can approach the cost of the game! I use Fantasy Flight only.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Baraiha wrote:
II know they may wear out faster, but sometimes the cost of sleeves can approach the cost of the game! I use Fantasy Flight only.

Well, speaking of Fantasy Flight sleeves, I can buy a pack of 500 online for about $30. So I'm not sure that argument totally based in reality.

If you are buying pack-by-pack from a local store for $5 a pop, then maybe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
Baraiha wrote:
II know they may wear out faster, but sometimes the cost of sleeves can approach the cost of the game! I use Fantasy Flight only.

Well, speaking of Fantasy Flight sleeves, I can buy a pack of 500 online for about $30. So I'm not sure that argument totally based in reality.

If you are buying pack-by-pack from a local store for $5 a pop, then maybe.

Yep, a bit of an exaggeration. However, I do buy all my items at my local game store.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leah Waterworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well I've just had to order some more as husband got me Breakin Atmo for Valentines!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Baraiha wrote:
MavericK96 wrote:
Baraiha wrote:
II know they may wear out faster, but sometimes the cost of sleeves can approach the cost of the game! I use Fantasy Flight only.

Well, speaking of Fantasy Flight sleeves, I can buy a pack of 500 online for about $30. So I'm not sure that argument totally based in reality.

If you are buying pack-by-pack from a local store for $5 a pop, then maybe.

Yep, a bit of an exaggeration. However, I do buy all my items at my local game store.

I usually do as well, but when it comes to sleeves and the quantity I need, I just can't justify the massive cost increase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
Baraiha wrote:
MavericK96 wrote:
Baraiha wrote:
II know they may wear out faster, but sometimes the cost of sleeves can approach the cost of the game! I use Fantasy Flight only.

Well, speaking of Fantasy Flight sleeves, I can buy a pack of 500 online for about $30. So I'm not sure that argument totally based in reality.

If you are buying pack-by-pack from a local store for $5 a pop, then maybe.

Yep, a bit of an exaggeration. However, I do buy all my items at my local game store.

I usually do as well, but when it comes to sleeves and the quantity I need, I just can't justify the massive cost increase.

For sleeves, Fantasy Flight are definitely top notch in my opinion. Good luck in the black!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls