Subject: Advance Your Set Up rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: X-wing [+] [View All]
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Recently on the FFG forums I inquired about using a custom starting templates. This template would be used to set up your position at the beginning of the game. Using a template would allow for quicker set up time as well as advanced formations. You can even use this template in a tournament setting.

I know you already hit the reply button to call out "cheater" right?

Let's look at the rules from the official SWXWM FFG TOurnament rule for set up:
The following steps must be performed before each game begins and may be performed before the start of the tournament round:

6. Players place their ships in ascending order of pilot skill as per standard X-Wing rules.

Ok set up according to the standard X-Wing rules:

5. place Forces: Place each ship in the play area in order of pilot skill (orange number), from lowest to highest (i.e. the ship with the lowest pilot skill is placed first; the ship with the highest pilot skill is placed last). If multiple ships have the same pilot skill value, the player with initiative places his ships with that pilot skill first (see “Initiative” on page 16).
To place a ship, its owner lays the range ruler straight out from his edge of the play area and places the ship anywhere that is entirely within the Range 1 section, facing any direction (see setup diagram on page 5).

I know some of you have a notion you're not allow to measure during the set up. You did read in the rule book where it mentions not being allowed to measure, let's have a look at that:

During the Planning phase, players cannot use maneuver templates in order to “test” where ships will end up. Instead, they must plan their maneuvers by estimating their ships’ movement in their heads.

Notice it points out certain phase that denies the use of measurement and it's not the setup. So because so many felt you couldn't measure during set up, I reached out to FFG to get the final word. Here is the response I got to this issue:

Hello Charles,

In response to your question:

Rule Question:
During the Set Up(placing the ships on the field), is it permitted to use movement templates or other forms of measurements to set spacing? This is not directly addressed in the rules. The only time it mentions not using a measurement is during the planning phase. Does this also mean I can measure out moves during the combat phase?

There are currently no rules that forbid using setup aids, so players can use movement templates or other devices to assist setup. Of course, the use of these aids should stay clearly within the bounds of good sportsmanship and shouldn’t delay the game. As with any tournament-affecting player behavior, we’ll monitor it for abuse; if players are bringing strange devices to gain a clear advantage over their opponents, we’ll forbid their use.

Thanks for playing!

James Kniffen
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games
jkniffen@fantasyflightgames.com

So that really clears things up.....now to make a template

The formation I'm after here is an offset formation, sometimes I've seen it called a star formation or Box Top formation. The set up is a little tricky as to have the right spacing the rear ship will be off the back edge of the map. So swinging this ship in is required during the first movement phase of the game.

Here we see the ships after the first movement set up in the Star formation.
This offset nature of this formation makes it possible to use the same turn or bank on all 4 ships with out bumping.

One of the great things about using a template is for setup is advanced formations. A side benefit is the setup time is drastically reduced as it only takes my 9 seconds to toss the template and ships down. Now that we know a custom template is allowed, what can you come up with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
(Note: use your own gallery for pictures that need to be available immediately.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brewer
Australia
DUNLOP
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I cannot see the images (I'm using an iPad, so maybe that's the issue).

As long as no advantage is gained by either player, I think the idea has some merit.

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Nestyr wrote:
As long as no advantage is gained by either player, I think the idea has some merit.

I think the idea has merit so long as you always want the same deployment strategy, and I can only see ever using something like that for swarms.

Most of the time my tournament setup gets tweaked slightly based on my opponent or how the asteroids get set up, so having a template for that particular squad wouldn't be especially helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
The pictures are now approved and you can see what I'm talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a pretty neat idea, and would definitely help in setting up a TIE swarm. The only problem is once you lay the template down, your opponent knows exactly where you are going to put all your ships.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
I would agree there is a level of telegraphing your moves with this template. The template would not be for every squad you run. In the case of a tie swarm you're placing all the ships of the same pilot skill at the same time. Your opponent is going to know anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could make a multi-piece template with one part for each PS you have to set up. Or one with just the most important measurement. (You could also improvise with movement templates and range rulers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
As the template is cut currently it's set for the one open move. The three facing forward move forward 2 and the one offset moves at a left turn 2. It would be easy to cut a slot to drop the offset one back and down to allow all 3 speed moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Sleep Operative wrote:
Thats a pretty neat idea, and would definitely help in setting up a TIE swarm. The only problem is once you lay the template down, your opponent knows exactly where you are going to put all your ships.blush

that's true, but when 6 of my 7 ships are pilot skill 1, there's not a lot of mystery to be had
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
The bases are narrower on the sides than from front to back, you can set it up sideways and turn the whole thing for move 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Have a closer look at this template.

The second ship form The left is the only ship that has the template on both sides. I've cut that slot slightly bigger to hold the ships base sideways. Since the others are not locked in they also can fit sideways. You may also flip the template over for holding tight to either edge of the play area. I will work on more advanced templates for the 7 and 8 ties.

I have taken two other pictures of deployments from this template. The pics are awaiting approval, once they are I'll post them here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
To show the template can be used at least 2 other viable ways.

Here the speed out of the gate is instead is increased. The two right side ships take off to the lead at speed 4. The center ship is to meet the speed at 3. The left ship turns into the rear of the formation. This formation spreads out a little more like a offset diamond. I would use this formation to place the named pilot in the rear, keeping him or her at longer range from attacks but still with in range one of the friendly's.

Again using a named pilot in the left slot( who would be a higher pilot skill) would be placed in that slot facing forward. Making a hard turn with all the ships. This could be used in your flying Tie Interceptors and you opponent lines up across from you. By placing that named pilot near the end of set up you could avoid showing your intent to draw their squad into the astroid field to give chase.

I should also point out that the template works from both edges of the map, just by flipping it over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new FAQ is out http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support..., looks like this is not allowed (at least in tournaments):

"Custom “setup” templates designed to aid players in ship deployment are not allowed."

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But you can still use movement dials and range rulers? So, it takes longer to set up?

I can't view the link, so if those are no longer allowed ignore me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Kline

Bakersfield
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new rules state:

Quote:
Asteroids and other obstacles may not be modified in any way. Custom “setup” templates designed to aid players in ship deployment are not allowed. However, players may use their range rulers and maneuver templates to help them set up formations during deployment.

So maneuver templates and range rules are a-ok
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Thisson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
They should just allow the templates, since they're allowing the use of range rulers anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how using a device exclusively to save time causes problems. Granted I don't use anything, I just drop my ships in a big block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
I can still accomplish the same set up with the range and movement templates. The time increase is significant verses the custom template. So on the shelf my template goes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
I don't think movement templates can be used when setting up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
I don't think movement templates can be used when setting up

They are specifically mentioned in the FFG revised tournament rules.
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/x-wing/support...
Rules wrote:
Custom “setup” templates designed to aid players in ship deployment are not allowed. However, players may use their range rulers and maneuver templates to help them set up formations during deployment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's a pretty silly ruling that has no effect except to increase setup time. If they're going to allow the use of the range ruler (and I don't really see how they'd forbid measuring, given the bases can be used just fine for measuring), there's no point in forbidding setup templates.

I mean, I wouldn't use one, but I'm a scrub. I have no problem with my more dedicated opponents using one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.