Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Rollings
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an avid frustrated pepper gardener for years now, I'm super excited to see a pepper growing themed game in the works, and even more so about one with excellent looking mechanics. Maybe my peppers will survive here!

I was wondering about the recipe names, as I noticed in the current PnP that the names mimic specific peppers, many of which ring a bell (e.g. Fatalii, Ghost Pepper, etc.) . I thought it was pretty neat to see some of these names make it into the game, but I can't tell if the backer generated names are meant to replace these, or if they are in addition to the ones shown in the PnP.

Also, I wasn't certain if the titles on the recipe cards represent fictitious peppers, fictitious recipes, or both. I think having some real pepper names mixed in would help drive the theme, especially if the cubes stay. While I think the pepper meeples would be awesome, I actually don't mind the cubes, but understandably TMG wants the card art and tokens to match. So if there are no pepper meeples, then I think there might be a lost opportunity for cool pepper visuals. Perhaps the names would, or are intended to, be a good middle ground.

Whatever the case, I can't wait to give this a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rollingsj wrote:
As an avid frustrated pepper gardener for years now, I'm super excited to see a pepper growing themed game in the works, and even more so about one with excellent looking mechanics. Maybe my peppers will survive here!

I was wondering about the recipe names, as I noticed in the current PnP that the names mimic specific peppers, many of which ring a bell (e.g. Fatalii, Ghost Pepper, etc.) . I thought it was pretty neat to see some of these names make it into the game, but I can't tell if the backer generated names are meant to replace these, or if they are in addition to the ones shown in the PnP.

Also, I wasn't certain if the titles on the recipe cards represent fictitious peppers, fictitious recipes, or both. I think having some real pepper names mixed in would help drive the theme, especially if the cubes stay. While I think the pepper meeples would be awesome, I actually don't mind the cubes, but understandably TMG wants the card art and tokens to match. So if there are no pepper meeples, then I think there might be a lost opportunity for cool pepper visuals. Perhaps the names would, or are intended to, be a good middle ground.

Whatever the case, I can't wait to give this a go!

Some of these pepper names are trademarked. Plus thematically, it doesn't make sense to score points for a pepper that is combined with a bunch of other peppers is the farming in the field is what gets you peppers.

So, in the final game, those will be chili recipes, and will be 100% made up.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rollings
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrMayhem wrote:
Plus thematically, it doesn't make sense to score points for a pepper that is combined with a bunch of other peppers is the farming in the field is what gets you peppers.

That makes sense, and thanks for the clarification! I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the PnP names were simply placeholders for the same reason, but was secretly hoping the names appeared elsewhere. However, that is an excellent point on the trademarks.

So, can we name the peppers too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rollingsj wrote:
DrMayhem wrote:
Plus thematically, it doesn't make sense to score points for a pepper that is combined with a bunch of other peppers is the farming in the field is what gets you peppers.

That makes sense, and thanks for the clarification! I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the PnP names were simply placeholders for the same reason, but was secretly hoping the names appeared elsewhere. However, that is an excellent point on the trademarks.

So, can we name the peppers too?

You can, but in the game, they will just be represented by colors and sizes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for

Green pepper
Red pepper
Orange pepper
Blue pepper

Etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rollings
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably should have elaborated in my original post, but the reason I asked this question is because there seems to be some confusion in the Kickstarter comments. Between that and the PnP, it made me wonder. I thought I'd ask in both venues to help clarify this for other folks. I was being facetious about naming the peppers in an official capacity, but I can't promise that I won't be planting Bhut Jolokia and Fatalii, whatever color they may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls