Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper B. Hansen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

After having tried some of tosx Custom decks and absolutely loving them, then I want more custom decks from the great users of this board!

I looked in the variants threads and found a few I eagerly want to print and keep and play with!

I want to get the new heroes printed with Printer Studios as I they look pretty good, and in sleeves it is almost like playing with the real cards.

But how do I make some good image files to use for Printing.

F. example I want complete deck of Alpha (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1091756/custom-hero-alpha-a-...) because he seems really cool.

The Images uploaded contains 6 cards per image. I want 1 card per image, so I can use them on printerstudios.

How do I go about that?

What I have done is save the big images and opening them in paint. Then in Paint cut out each of the 6 images and copy them one at a time into a new image to get 1 card per image. And then I have to add some ekstra bleeding area to each card.

That is alot of work (because I want all of FlatOnHisFace´s awesome decks 5 decks x 40 cards I have to cutout and add bleed area), and it is probably not getting me the best results (like with resulotion, and some of the cards being off-centered )

Is there a better, easier and faster way to getting all these awesome decks printet out via Printers Studio?

I hope my English is understandable.

Thanks for your time,
Shin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Himes
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the simple program Xnview to cut apart the card, then resize the card's canvas to add extra bleed area. Since you can save the size of your selection box, it's fairly quick and easy to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you don't have to do it for each of the 40 cards. There are many duplicates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus II
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also ask him to provide individual card files to print them out, since he should be able to edit his own cards easily.

With my new templates it's a simple matter of turning on the printing border, then saving the card as a 300 dpi jpg file. It makes getting them ready for print as simple as possible. After I started printing cards I added the print border into my templates to make it much easier for others to do the same.

Btw, this only works for my Illustrator templates, I'm still working on improving the Photoshop templates, recently got individual cards made and editable with layered items but not full sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper B. Hansen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I wrote FlatOnHisFace yesterday, and he has just replied back that the plan is to eventuelly release the individuel files, when he was done with all

So I think I will just wait it out ^_^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ImageMagick can do Magic. With Images. I'm just learning it, mainly so I can do exactly what you're hoping to do. Here's what I have so far. Let's take Alpha as the example.

First, download the image. Take the original size so you have it in its highest resolution. I've named image of the first six card faces "alpha1.jpg".

I'm Assuming you've already downloaded ImageMagick as soon as you saw my mention of it, and that the convert command is in your executable path. If it's not, fix that, but I can't give you solid advice on how to get that done.

With the convert tool, the first thing you want to do is remove the extraneous white space from the cards. Luckily the white / black boundary is quite distinct. For this, we bring down the Trim Hammer:

convert alpha1.jpg -fuzz 25% -trim +repage alpha-trimmed.jpg

25% is rather a lot for the fuzz, but since the only adjacent colour is black (or very black-ish) and we're trimming white (or very white-ish) we're not going to colide. Now we'll have the cards laid out 3x2, with no white edges.

Now, split the image into its constituent cards with

convert alpha-trimmed.jpg -crop 3x2@ alpha-card-%d.jpg

You will now have 6 images (alpha-card-0.jpg to alpha-card-5.jpg).

For each of these, you'll need to trim off the white space that was between the original cards. Again, the Trim Hammer is your friend:

convert alpha-card-0.jpg -fuzz 25% -trim +repage alpha-card-0-final.jpg

Some judicious use of looping, and you may be able to get everything done in an automated fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls