Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
In a game such as this, is there a reasonable number of men, cavalry and troops that we could assign to 1 CU? I understand abstract nature of the combat values but can we infer?

As a bit of fun I am looking at resolving the battle using the Great Battles of History - SPQR system.

Crazy yes?
Fun? - Sure.
I'll of course have to factor in the battle cards that would be eligible, and what impact they might have, impact of losses etc.

So as a mental exercise the starting point I have is :
What is the body of one CU?
I can then proportion Cav/missile/skirmisher/foot(Heavy, light) types based on Army mix standards of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Hedning
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say 1 CU equals 5000 men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe some have stated that a CU represent a legion and have cited the number 5,000, the average number per legion, as the number of troops per CU. While I personally think it should be a tad higher (since the present calculation would limit all moving armies to 50,000), 5,000 per CU is a reasonable number to go by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Gentlemen - Gold stars for both of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present.
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
As a bit of fun I am looking at resolving the battle using the Great Battles of History - SPQR system.

Great idea btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools

Some early thinking on conversions.
I took some battles and counted up Str Pts and workedout what % ages were of each main unit type.
Other bits:

Need to allow for Battle Card benefit/advantage
Leaders
Losses on retreat
a dozen other details

I'll be writing about this here:
www.bigboardgaming.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T G
United States
California
flag msg tools
MD1616 wrote:
I believe some have stated that a CU represent a legion and have cited the number 5,000, the average number per legion, as the number of troops per CU. While I personally think it should be a tad higher (since the present calculation would limit all moving armies to 50,000), 5,000 per CU is a reasonable number to go by.

I think the value is right where it should be. When you consider that a stack of 10 legions of 50,000 men per Consul, plus the auxiliaries of the extra battle cards for extra allies brings a consular Army in Italy to about 60,000, and potentially more outside of Italy(with a lot of foreign allies), this seems more then enough. Even at Cannae when the Armies were double size, it was two Consular armies together combining for 80,000 men.

70,000-80,000 men were not combined again during that war and armies of 30,000-50,000 seemed to be the norm. Any more then that was exceptional. A single Consul shouldn't be dragging around more men then that. I think the designers got it correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls