5 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Question about cluster missiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wilson
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello all, I recently picked up the starter set, an a-wing and a TIE Interceptor as I thought this was a good starting point to get into the game. So far I'm loving it.

My question is this.

While using the cluster missile weapon upgrade with the target lock and a focus action, can you essentially reroll up to 6 dice and focus any to all of them potentially scoring up to 6 hit/crits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most missiles require to spend the TL, so no rerolls for these. Cluster missiles do spend the TL.

Even if this would not be the case, you could use each token only on one of the attacks. Which is why the cluster missile has not been very popular until recently. It is good against AG 1 targets, though, and some pilots and crew have good abilities for secondary weapons which influence both rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
Canada
flag msg tools
So you can focus one set of 3 dice not both sets?

If using the Deadeye ability could you save the target lock, by spending the focus, if the first barrage was good and then reroll the 2nd set if it wasn't good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
HaYzE wrote:
So you can focus one set of 3 dice not both sets?

If using the Deadeye ability could you save the target lock, by spending the focus, if the first barrage was good and then reroll the 2nd set if it wasn't good?

Yes. If you want to be able to modify both attacks, consider using Marksmanship, or Captain Jonus' ability to allow rerolls if using a TIE Bomber.

Each cluster missile attack is a complete, separate attack and is rolled separately. The defender also rolls defense and/or spends their tokens for each attack. After spending a token to fire the missile, any focus or target lock tokens you have available during each attack can be used, but once you use them they are gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also stack actions* to give you more tokens. For example, you could fly a Green Squadron Pilot with Deadeye and Cluster Missiles, with Garven Dreis, Dutch Vander (Y-wing) and Kyle Katarn (HWK-290) at Range 1-2. The A-wing takes a Focus action, Garven and Kyle also Focus, and Dutch takes a Target Lock, giving one to the A-wing as well. At the start of combat, Kyle gives his Focus token to the A-wing. After Garven shoots, he spends his Focus token and gives that token to the A-wing. Now the A-wing has a target lock and 3 Focus tokens. He can spend one via Deadeye to launch the Clusters, and still has a Target Lock and 2 tokens to spend modifying the attacks!

* the only trick is a ship can't take the same "action" twice in a turn, so you have to read the cards carefully to make sure you aren't breaking any rules. The pilots I listed pass tokens around without the recipient taking an action. Compare this to Lando or the Squad Leader upgrade, which allow an action to be taken instead. This comes up with pilots like Tirr Phennir, who might want to Boost, then gets a free Boost or Barrel Roll action after shooting. He has to remember what he did earlier in the turn so as not to break the rules by doing the same action twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls