Luke Thulhu
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grabbed SE after playing my first game of TI3 with a group that absolutely loved it last Saturday. We had heard good things about the new strategy cards and the new races looked nice.

But dear god, between the base game and this there are so many variants and optional rules we don't even know where to begin. What ones do you all have to use when you play TI3 or find them to be amazing add ons to the experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Winter
Austria
Wien
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play all of them.

In the end, we play Twilight Imperium 3 to be overwhelmend, aren't we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nemeth wrote:
Play all of them.

In the end, we play Twilight Imperium 3 to be overwhelmend, aren't we?

"+1"..."Thumbs"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pun Fiend wrote:
Grabbed SE after playing my first game of TI3 with a group that absolutely loved it last Saturday. We had heard good things about the new strategy cards and the new races looked nice.

But dear god, between the base game and this there are so many variants and optional rules we don't even know where to begin. What ones do you all have to use when you play TI3 or find them to be amazing add ons to the experience?

Welcome to the addiction that is TI3-SE-SotT, "you have been absorbed" - your former life as you knew it is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Andersson Franke
Sweden
flag msg tools
Yes their are alot of new fun options with the SE expansion.

My group use almost all of them but one thing is that some change the game more than others. Here is mine and my groups thoughts about them

Variant strtegy cards: I think the ones in SE is a bit better than the ones in the orginal box except for the diplomacy card. We use the ones in the SE box but when you choose dipomacy you can take either the first or second one.

The new objective cards, tech and race tech is just added to the other ones and give you some more variable so why not use them.

shock troops, space mines sabotage runs barely get much use in our games but we still think it's fun to use.

Wormhole nexus makes wormholes a bit more fun and makes it possible to reach more areas in the galaxy. It also helps with those games where you have a single a, b or c wormhole somewhere.

Facilities might make it more confusing for new players with all the stuff you can buy but I think it's a fun add and gives players options to invest more in their current areas.

Tactical retrats is IMO how the rules should have been, since retreats was actually a bit difficult to set up before.

Custodians of mecatol rex helps to migate super early expansive races and It make sense that you can't just go up with a carrier and a single ground force and claim the capitol.

Voice of the council and artifacts does affect the game quite a bit and might speed the game up since you introduce more posssible victory points. We like them if we don't play with imperial 1 or 2 or age of empire.

Heroes is fun but the game works fine without them. They do give some races some fun strategies.

We don't use distant suns or simulated early turns since we don't think they add enough for the time/trouble it takes to use them.

These are my thoughts on the optional rules, take from it what you want and my advice from you is to test them all with your group and single out the ones you don't like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that mines, facilities, and sabotage runs just get ignored in most games.

I don't play with representatives because I don't like the political effects (Shards, I know).

Shock troops are fine. They just happen.

I play with Leaders, Distant Suns and Final Frontiers, a mix of objectives including Artifacts, and a lot of variant strategy card powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could I politely suggest you look at some old threads? This question has been asked a lot! (Especially in the TI3 base game forums.)

But, briefly;
It depends on your playgroup.
The biggest question is how long they are willing to play? More options add time, some of them significantly.

How much experience do they have? Some of the optional rules add quite a bit of complexity.

What are they interested in? My classic example is the base game Trench Sabotage Run. Some game groups just LOVE (kiss) the idea of playing Luke Skywalker on the Death Star War Sun. Definitely include that option with those player types!
(But give this a look to see when they are a good idea:[thread=1058773][/thread])

So, tell me about your playgroup, and I'll give you more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leifr wrote:
I find that mines, facilities, and sabotage runs just get ignored in most games.

I don't play with representatives because I don't like the political effects (Shards, I know).

I play with Leaders, Distant Suns and Final Frontiers, a mix of objectives including Artifacts, and a lot of variant strategy card powers.

We play with Artifacts, Leaders, Mines and Facilities which get used a fair bit. We theoretically play with sabotage runs, but they are almost never used - I'd drop all of these with a first time group, but then use them thereafter.

We always use seeded Domain Counters (Territorial Distant Suns) no matter what, and Larger Galaxy. We always use the two objective decks mixed, and the old Secret Objectives (never new) and deal these at the same time as Preliminary Objectives.

We mostly use the original Strategy Tiles, swapping for Trade III, Technology II, and Bureacracy.

We never ever play with Representatives as written, and most of us hate them. We occasionally play them houseruled (you still get your votes with a dead representative) but mostly don't use them at all. They essentially change the old (and good) political system based on Influence, to one based on Representatives, with Influence as a tie-breaker. Anyone without a bodyguard is hosed, and there's a bunch of things we don't like. I've come across a few groups of similar opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leifr wrote:

Interesting, our Facilities get bought up right away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:

We never ever play with Representatives as written, and most of us hate them. We occasionally play them houseruled (you still get your votes with a dead representative) but mostly don't use them at all. They essentially change the old (and good) political system based on Influence, to one based on Representatives, with Influence as a tie-breaker. Anyone without a bodyguard is hosed, and there's a bunch of things we don't like. I've come across a few groups of similar opinions.

"+1"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.