Subject: Bedtime Heroes - Play it now! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Bedtime Heroes is close to being finished, so I thought it was about time to literally lay my cards on the table (yours, to be precise) and upload a Print & Play version for everyone to try.

I've posted about the game a few times (you guys helped me pick the name!) but for those that don't know, it's a family-friendly card & dice game where you battle bedtime monsters with the aid of toys. Think Monsters Inc. VS Toy Story and you're half-way there.

I found this to be a really interesting design experience because I've spent 8 years making video games but never thought to try a board game until recently. There were many similarities in the process, but also some pretty big pitfalls; namely accounting for turn time and encouraging interaction between players (two things you usually don't have to worry about in the virtual world).

I have tested the game extensively with friends and it has even survived a blind test. I'm planning many more tests over the next few weeks and I hope if a few people here try the game I could get some invaluable feedback.

Bedtime Heroes is born out of my love for several board games like Ticket to Ride, Dominion, King of Tokyo and Catan, but I've kept the gameplay simple to make it more accessible.

Players have to balance their actions between fighting monsters, which earns you points, and building your collection of toys, which gives you a stronger presence. You also have to be aware of other player's situations because if they fail to defeat a monster it could end up coming your way!

So here's the game. I have submitted it for approval on BGG but for now it's available on our website:

http://taptowin.co.uk/BedTimeHeroes-PnP-v1.rar

For the art I have used a combination of sketches and dodgy photoshop mockups to make it printer-friendly. It's still quite presentable but nowhere near the quality of what the final product will be like. This is an example of one of the monsters our artist, Hannah, has done so far:

If you are interested you can follow our regular updates on these sites:

http://www.facebook.com/TapToWin
http://www.twitter.com/TapToWin

And the BGG entry is here, where you can see some of the almost-finished artwork:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/154487

I would really appreciate any feedback you guys have, we are very open to changes and I want to make Bedtime Heroes the best game it can possibly be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dug fromthearth
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am downloading it now. I hope to get to play soon, but am traveling in a few days and may not get to it.

It sounds like it will be fun to try with my family.

and I can't open a RAR file. I don't suppose you have a zipped version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Venezia
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you for your interest! I have uploaded a zip version for you here:

http://taptowin.co.uk/BedTimeHeroes-PnP-v1.zip

We put Bedtime Heroes through its toughest blind-test yet last night and got some really great feedback. One of the guys actually took a microscope to the rules. The general feeling was that it is currently more of a family game, which is OK, but it needs more interaction between players to be more of a gamer's game.

I still have my notes from when I started making this game and highlighted in bold is the phrase "indirect competition". Had I been more experienced I'd have realized this meant suffering a lack of competition between players; fine for the younger audience, but not so fine for older players.

My fear was that I'd have to make a very tough decision by taking Bedtime Heroes in one of two very different directions, potentially alienating a huge group of players. However this shouldn't be the case thanks to the Toys in the game - I can add 'direct competition' cards that let you target other players, but they can have a different colour or symbol so families know which ones to take out if they want a friendlier game.

These are some of the notes we got out of the session. We will be looking at these potential changes over the next few days:

Gameplay
- Remove +5 point bonus for sleeping Dreamer at end of game
- Remove free Toy at start of turn
- Action to restore 1 Toy from discard pile -> restores all Toys

Toys
- Rebalance amount so that 50-60% of them are re-roll cards
- Broom -> Action: Permanently discard another Toy
- Duck -> Cancel the effect of a Toy that has just been used
- New Toys that steal money, force players to fight monsters, and alter strength of monsters

Monsters
- Have a strength 5 Monster (maybe just 1, like a boss)
- Give some Monsters abilities like "Toys cannot be used on this Monster" and "If this Monster defeats you, discard a Toy/Money"

I know it's a big commitment to print & play an unpublished game but I'm looking forward to seeing more feedback from anyone brave enough to try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls