Paddy Bourbon

New Boston
New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game ends.
The winner is congratulated.
The game is packed up.
The discussion moves to what to play next.
Is that it?

I've been thinking about adding something to our group for the winner of a game. I've got a few ideas but I thought I would throw it out to the BGGs. Here's what I've got so far:

Winner picks next game.
Winner doesn't have to pack up.
Winner chooses where to order food from. (not a lot of choice where we live)
Winner wears a crown or hat that passes to the next winner.

Does anyone have any similar rules for their game groups?
Anyone think this is a bad idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about hoisting the winner on your shoulders and carrying them around the room while singing "For He is a Jolly Good Fellow!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about choosing a little action figure that the winner of the previous game gets to set in his or her area during the next game, a winner's mascot of sorts. I haven't ever acted on that yet, though. The closest thing I've got is a Piggly Wiggly supermarket coaster that goes to the first person to show up and request a drink. There's pretty fierce competition for the coveted Piggly Wiggly coaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mightypaco1 wrote:
The game ends.
The game is packed up.
Is that it?

I very much like that that's all there is and no more, but I'd usually like even more to skip the packing and the discussion and to instead play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Bingle
United States
ORLANDO
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our house the winner puts the game they won away AND gets to pick the next game to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a Twilight Imperium trophy. It's an old Colonel Sanders piggy bank I got from value village. The winner of the game puts in a small poker chip that they write their name, date and race they used on. Eventually the thing is going to be full and we'll crack it open and see who the best is!

I've also been keeping track of who wins games this year. Then at he end of the year, I'll weight all the wins by game and assign everyone a rank for the year. The winner will get a super sweet trophy or something at a year end game extravaganza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paddy Bourbon

New Boston
New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dekedagger wrote:

I've also been keeping track of who wins games this year. Then at he end of the year, I'll weight all the wins by game and assign everyone a rank for the year. The winner will get a super sweet trophy or something at a year end game extravaganza.

I love that! But how do you weight games and wins? How much more is Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) win worth over a win at Love Letter? Maybe just assign a degree of difficulty to each game like in Olympic diving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Breedveld
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group the winner gets to choose a kind of booze and he and the loser has to take a shot of it. It's not a thing we do every gaming night though. This tradition started around two years ago at a birthday party when we where playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attention! Chat lunatique!
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of ideas stolen from other venues:

* Buy some cheap brass chain and a big-ass house number "1" from a hardware store. Fashion a Winner's Pendant out of it, and it passes from winner to winner. Only downside is who keeps track of the chain in between sessions. If it travels with the winner, then if they can't make the session you're without your "#1" player.

* Find a cheap trophy base. Everyone gets to buy or pick out their favorite action figure, customizable at will. Winner gets to put their action figure on top of the trophy stand. Downside is that the figures can be so variable it can be tricky to fashion a base they can all fit on without falling over.

All of these are fun and can add color to a session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imyourskribe wrote:
I've thought about choosing a little action figure that the winner of the previous game gets to set in his or her area during the next game, a winner's mascot of sorts. I haven't ever acted on that yet, though. The closest thing I've got is a Piggly Wiggly supermarket coaster that goes to the first person to show up and request a drink. There's pretty fierce competition for the coveted Piggly Wiggly coaster.

Maybe you could have a custom figure of a design that is appealing to your group. Then for each game, if it is a game in which players have a primary meeple / playing token, the previous winner could use the custom figure as their meeple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Our local FLGS sells snack food.

Buddy of mine won't get himself a Rice Krispy treat unless he wins a game.

He calls them the "Sweet Meat of Champions".

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winner gets tarred and feathered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The losing team is beheaded, and the winning team gets all of the spectators' jewelry...

...our group likes to follow ancient Mayan traditions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't really figured it out yet, degree of difficulty makes the most sense. I'll probably just keep track of all the winners then sometime in december figure out the rest. Nobody knows I'm doing this right now, so if it fails miserably I can just keep it a secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shortly after our group formed about 14 years ago, I bought a dry-erase white board to hang up during game nights and record (a) the games that were played and (b) the winners. It was mainly to appreciate the variety of games we were playing. We didn't keep any records of winners week to week; we just noted them that night, posted them in the group Email, and erased the board before the next night.

We didn't realize it immediately, but new group members looked forward to the night when their names were written on the board, like some rite of passage.

So, we invited first time winners to write their names on the white board, and a tradition was born.

At our current meeting location, we haven't brought the board along because there's no place to put it. But if we get the opportunity one day, we'll resume the practice.

(Since we began recording the games played, our groups played 576 different titles at least once.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Madd
United States
Statesboro
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group does the tradition of the winner picks the next game. It started as a spur of the moment idea on my part because my group used to spend as much time arguing over what to play as actually playing. They have very different interests. However they are all my games, nobody else is so serious a gamer as to invest money in it even though they love playing. So during an argument one night I put my foot down and said winner decides and it has stuck.

When we play a coop or have a tied victory, all those involved have to have unanimous agreement on the next game, which often means a quick filler game so that one person can claim victory and pick what they really want.

This has worked really well overall. Not only does it give a big reward and incentive for winning, but it also eliminates arguments and makes game night go a lot faster.

We also experimented with the winner gets to go first in the next game, but that didn't really stick.

I like the idea of keeping track of games and figuring out a champion though. It would be more work, but you might track everyone's position each game and award points accordingly. Someone who comes in second every game might deserve the trophy more than someone who wins half the time and comes in last the other half.

The scale could be adjusted, but just for an example first place could be 5 points, second place 4 points, third 3 points, etc.

You might also think about having multiple awards rather than just one. That way you could divide games into different categories rather than having to compare them all to each other when they can be SO different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
Tacos, Tacos, Yum, Yum, Yum. Tacos, Tacos, something that rhymes with dumb.
badge
SHH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
We eat ours. Sore losers, all of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my groups always has a post-game postmortem. Strategies used, moves/turns that changed the tide of the game, opportunities lost. Then someone in the group records the scores of all the players for posterity's sake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Winner stands up, turns around and moons the other players while slapping buttocks with right hand.
Losing players accuse winner of cheating, insult his ancestry and walk away disgusted.
Winner cleans up table.

Is that weird?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The winner, if it isn't me, usually gets to clean up the mess I make of the room after I flip the table. Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barbarick
United States
Ashland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I use previous game winner to determine start player. We alternate picking games so we each get to play our favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Winner takes beating as if it was a gang initiation?

I think a nice celebratory drink or piece of pie would be nice. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm not the winner, the winner is usually referred to as "you cheating bastard".

Actually that seems to happen when I'm the winner too, but I don't really support it then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yao-ban Chan
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Winner picks the next game is always a good one. It's also a good way to up the competitiveness level a tiny amount.

If you have the opposite problem, i.e. the group is a wee bit too competitive, you can also go for loser picks the next game, as a consolation prize. Also the losers tend to pick games they're good at, so winning streaks are harder to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mbmbmbmbmb
mightypaco1 wrote:
The game ends.
The game is packed up.
Is that it?

Skip the congratulations and preform a post-mortem. Any game interesting
enough to play is interesting enough to dissect afterwards - to see what
it did well in terms of representation and new ideas, as well as (to a
more limited extent) what strategies worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |