Balen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are my first custom characters for PACG, they are original characters that I've used for other games, but this is the first time writing a background for them other than being sisters.
Overall I like the mechanics of them, but I still need to do more testing and adjustments with many of the numbers. I also am unsure of what to make Adina's second Role option.

Origin:
Their family outcast due to their mixed race heritage, the half-elf sisters Adina and Valisa were raised by their human father and elven mother in the wilds of Varisia. While not much is publicly known about their parents, it is said that they had ventured off to assist in a matter of great importance only never to return. Now their two teenage daughters set out to reunite their family.

Valisa Female Half-Elf Ranger

With a thin figure and pale complexion, Valisa takes after her Elven mother, though shorter and with less pronounced ears. Like her sister, she was taught to hunt and track at a young age and it quickly became evident that she had a keen eye and steady hand for archery. Her mother also took notice that she had a hidden potential for magics and decided to teach Valisa how to aid her sister as well as enhance the effectiveness of her archery using spells.
Valisa is a vocal and emotional individual with a thirst for knowledge and a great love for her sister. While intelligent and charismatic, the volatility of her moods seems to affect her focus in the mystic arts and can greatly impact her decisions.

Skills:
STR d8 [ ]+1 [ ]+2
DEX d10 [ ]+1 [ ]+2 [ ]+3 Ranged: +2
CON d4 [ ]+1
INT d8 [ ]+1 [ ]+2
WIS d6 [ ]+1 [ ]+2 [ ]+3 [ ]+4 Survival/Divine: +2
CHA d6 [ ]+1 [ ]+2 [ ]+3

Powers:
Hand Size – 5 [ ]6
Proficient With [ ] Light Armors [x] Weapons
Enchant – You may discard a card or recharge a spell to add 1d6 [ ]+1 [ ]+2 with the Magic trait to a combat check at your location or when playing a bow to add to a combat check at another location
Archery – When playing a weapon with the ‘Bow’ trait, you may recharge it instead of discarding.

Cards List:
Weapons – 3 [ ]4 [ ] 5
Spells – 3 [ ]4 [ ]5 [ ]6
Armor – 1 [ ]2
Item – 2 [ ]3
Ally – 2 [ ]3
Blessings – 4 [ ]5 [ ]6
Favorite Card: Weapon

Roles:
Divine Scout
Arcane Archer

Adina Female Half-Elf Fighter

Quiet, dark and a recluse, Adina has few friends and is always focused on the task at hand. She is an excellent hunter but unlike her sister, Adina seemingly has no talent for magic, and has focused all of her training on her swordsmanship and close combat abilities. What she lacks in stature, and magic, she makes up for in skill, agility and quick thinking.
Though not as outspoken as her sister, Adina has a clear bond with Valisa even when she is being difficult. Dedicated and focused on finding her parents, Adina makes her way across Varisia with her sister never far behind.

Skills:
STR d10 [ ]+1 [ ]+2 [ ]+3 Melee: +2
DEX d8 [ ]+1 [ ]+2 [ ]+3 [ ]+4 Acrobatics: +2
CON d6 [ ]+1 [ ]+2
INT d6 [ ]+1 [ ]+2
WIS d8 [ ]+1 [ ]+2 [ ]+3 Survival/Perception: +2
CHA d4 [ ]+1

Powers:
Hand Size – 5 [ ]6
Proficient With [x] Light Armors [x] Weapons
Shieldplay – You may recharge a shield to add 1d4 [ ]+1 [ ]+2 to your melee combat check or when playing a shield, discard it to reduce the damage by an additional 1 (counts as playing a shield)
CHOOSE 1 POWER IMMEDIATELY:
[ ] Dual Wield – When playing a 1-Handed Melee Weapon for a combat check, you may discard a weapon or recharge a 1-handed melee weapon to add 1d6 [ ]+1 to the check (counts as using a 2-handed weapon)
OR
[ ] Fencing – When using a weapon with the ‘Finesse’ and/or ‘Piercing’ trait for a combat check, add +1 [ ]+2 to the check. If the weapon is a 1-Handed Sword, add an additional +2.

Cards List:
Weapons – 5 [ ]6 [ ] 7
Spells – 0 [ ]1
Armor – 3 [ ]4 [ ]5 [ ]6
Item – 3 [ ]4 [ ]5
Ally – 1 [ ]2
Blessings – 3 [ ]4
Favorite Card:Weapon

Roles:
Duelist
Defender
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
PACG Playmat System with over 500 playmats
badge
Check out my free Premium PACG Playmats
mbmbmbmbmb
What are their role powers as we are now at adv. Deck 3 ...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Valisa:
Archery seems weak - there are few dex based weapons available, and only about half (maybe less) are bows (I don't think Xbows count - but I don't have cards with me). Maybe instead take a page from Harsk, and do ranged weapons?

Adina:
I really like the Shieldplay power - I've generally found shields to be fairly worthless, this makes them an option - even useful. Once again, you may find that there aren't enough shields to make this worthwhile though. However, since they are a Basic option (Wooden Shield) it is less of a problem than the bow issue noted above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryker1979 wrote:
Valisa:
Archery seems weak - there are few dex based weapons available, and only about half (maybe less) are bows (I don't think Xbows count - but I don't have cards with me). Maybe instead take a page from Harsk, and do ranged weapons?

Once again, you may find that there aren't enough shields to make this worthwhile though. However, since they are a Basic option (Wooden Shield) it is less of a problem than the bow issue noted above.

Regarding Valisa -
There are quite a bit of Dexterity based weapons. There are 15 bows (including crossbows) if you include the Character Add-On deck. There are also the throwing axes, daggers and darts.
The power, Archery, is meant to emphasize her character role and that she can be used as a support to add to checks from a different location, without discarding her bow.
I'v had no issues with the usefulness of her powers (I'm up to Adventure #2 with a 3 person party, Adina, Valisa and Seoni). When using bows as her own or as to add to another check, if Enchant is used, they become very significant attacks. Plus her dexterity/ranged skills still make having items like daggers, darts and other weapons useful and they can also add another die to her checks.

For Adina -
There are 11 shields with the Character Add-On, 12 if you include Adventure #2, I believe there are a few more in #3. I have her start with 2 shields, as not many people use them anyway. In addition, my first card feat was another armor so that I could hold another shield if I found one. Armors are scarce in general, but there are a significant ratio of shields in the armors pool.

Thoughts -
The idea behind these two was to create more options in terms of adding to checks and using cards. Not just having certain cards that do certain things or powers that add an extra d8 or d10 to your rolls.
I wanted there to be more risk and reward. None of the powers gives you a sure shot to winning your checks, but if you risk discarding or recharging two significant cards, you can swing the odds in your favor.

I've done extensive plays with them and so far they seem quite balanced.
- They still lack several Skills even together to acquire, defeat or close many cards
- They are strong combatants, but must recharge or discard several cards to get there.
- If they do not have a healer, they must choose to use items and armors wisely
- Allies are few, so they must utilize their blessings wisely as well and not just for either combat or exploring

I'm also glad you like the Shieldplay power, it seems to be the general highlight of Adina. It definitely took some thinking to come up with that within the confines of her character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stryker1979 wrote:
Valisa:

Crossbows do have the Bow trait. I remember because when making my Ninja, I wanted a power that gave bonuses for thrown weapons. There was no thrown trait, but both Bows and Crossbows have the Bow trait. Had to reword the power just a hair, but it worked out just the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myfly wrote:
What are their role powers as we are now at adv. Deck 3 ...?

I haven't played through Adventure #3 yet, I'm waiting to get a more consistent group together but I can give you the jist of what I had in mind.

Valisa:

- Divine Scout -
Intended to be a strong support, she would have more Wisdom skill feats, and a scouting power of something along the lines of:
[ ]"If you have not explored this turn, you may look at the top card of another location"
I would also add feats for increasing her Enchant power, adding:
"[ ]+3 [ ]+4, [ ] If the target is Undead, add an additional 1d6 [ ]+1 [ ]+2"

- Arcane Archer -
Turning her into more of an offensive character, Valisa would gain additional Charisma feats and the "Arcane: +2" Skill.
She would be able to add various traits like Fire, Poison and Electricity to her Enchant Power.
Maybe add an ability to "Add [ ]+1 [ ]+2 [ ]+3 to a check to acquire ([ ] or recharge) a card."

Adina:

- Duelist -
Would focus around being alone (like Merisiel).
I liked the idea of having the choice of being a Fencing or Dual Wielding Duelist.
The primary Power Feat addition would be to be able to boost your combat check with something like:
"[ ] If you are the only player at your location, you may recharge a card to add 1d6 [ ]+1 [ ]+2 [ ]+3 to your combat check"
in addition, to be able to be alone more often I would add a power like Amiri's:
"[ ] You may move at the end of your turn ([ ] and/or move another character out of the location where you end your turn)

- Defender -
I haven't put that much thought into Defender as of yet, but it would be something along the lines of Amiri's Juggernaut and Valeros' Guardian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls