Subject: How well is Star Trek: Attack Wing selling? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really having a hard time gauging whether or not this game is selling well and how popular it is.

Is there a top selling miniature game list out there? A top 100 list?

For a long time my FLGS didn't have any stock on anything, but now they have tons of product. I go to other stores and they tell me that they can't keep it out the shelves, other stores tell me that they can't give the game away.

Some tournaments have 16+ turnout, while other can't even get 4 players.

Is there an objective way, non-anecdotal way to find out how well this game is doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I assume it's doing well since Wizkids is willing to do another similar game (the D&D one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's doing very well. The ships are regularly sold out at numerous locations all over the country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it is doing well. Every location is going to be hit or miss, it all depends on the player base in the area, so it is hard to judge by looking just at them. When online retailers are regularly selling out of stock of things is when you know that it is generally popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only tell you what I see.

There are 3 places that sell Star Trek and they are all doing well.
Ironically the one place that claims they are not selling well is perpetually sold out...

Many of the online store are frequently out of stock for the ships as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The places I frequent which carry it are usually sold out of the releases people will buy in multiples like the Valdore/Excelsior/Koranak/etc and the Starter is usually sold out as well.

Online (since these FLGS are between 2-3 hours away) I've noticed it sell out of certain ships and the starter multiple times on www.coolstuffinc.com and www.miniaturemarket.com so it must be moving pretty well.

I would imagine some kind of organized play expansion would sell out very quickly online - hint hint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a little digging around to find some data that was a bit more empirical.

August 2013 Top 25 Games

September 2013 Top 25 Games

October 2013 Top 25 Games

November 2013 Top 25 Games

December 2013 Top 25 Games

Observations. August 2013 was a monster month for Heroclix and Wizkids. They had 8 of the top 10.

Attack Wing and expansions had five sports out of the top 25 with #6, 17, 22, 24 and 25 spots. But Attack Wing has not shown up in the top 25 since its initial release.

Even in October and December with the Wave 1 and Wave 2 releases, there’s no sign of Attack Wing. In fact, in October Star Trek Tactics shows up, but no Star Trek Attack Wing.

Heroclix products are a regular on the top 25. And who would’ve thunk, but Monopoly and its variants are consistently making a show. My Little Pony Monopoly at #7 in September and #20 in October.

There’s lots of Walking Dead stuff, but what’s up with Risk Legacy in the top 10 for 2 months in a row?

X-Wing expansions also make a consistent showing, albeit in the lower half.

From what I understand, the sales charts are based on what retailers buy from the distributor and not based on what is actually sold to customers. That said, it sounds like that retailers, went in big on Attack Wing in August, but didn’t continue their with equivalent orders in the subsequent waves. Any speculations? Anyone find any contrary information?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A more interesting question might be how long until attack wing burns out? With so many options pouring into the meta is the game going to be broken by the end of the year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
A more interesting question might be how long until attack wing burns out? With so many options pouring into the meta is the game going to be broken by the end of the year?

This. This is my biggest concern. Looking at the Borg and even this month’s Dominion battleship has me worried about power creep. And there are already some semi-broken cards and combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RequiemX wrote:
Norsehound wrote:

This. This is my biggest concern. Looking at the Borg and even this month’s Dominion battleship has me worried about power creep. And there are already some semi-broken cards and combos.

...power creep? Everything is pointed out in a way such that if you want to go bigger or use a stronger card, it will cost you during fleet building. If the Battleship were 26 points, then we could worry about power creep, but at 36, it prices the same way as everything else in the game.

I'm honestly worried the Borg and battleship will be UNDERpowered, lol. If I were making an ideal stat set for a ship, you like big attack, but after a certian point, more hull actually detracts from the 'potential' of a ship IMO. Yeah they are big, and yeah they have large attack values, but large shields and no defense makes then Projected Stasis Field and Energy Dissipator bait.

To the main question, there are 5 shops in my town that sell attack wing stuffs and all of them are selling out of ships and core sets. We don't necessarily see a huge base for weekly or OP play, but people are buying the ships somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. E. Freeman
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
patox wrote:

X-Wing expansions also make a consistent showing, albeit in the lower half.

I think you and I have a different definition of consistent. I saw the Lamda Shuttle in Nov 2013 and the Tie Fighter and X-Wing in Dec. 2013. From the data you presented I wouldn't call either of them consistent or selling well. Somehow, I don't think this data is giving us the full picture. Still, good job digging it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of those future waves that have been announced also imply to me that the game is selling well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question will be when they decide to do waves beyond what they've already designed/committed to. I can't recall the exact number but I think they designed ships through ~Dec next year with the initial design set.

Not sure if they've started on additional ships or not, but I'm sure we'll keep an eye out for some news on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RequiemX wrote:
Norsehound wrote:

I agree with you gents. One ship being able to one shot another ship is far too easily achievable now. The "game" is now less about moving neat minis around and more about creating card combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Durand
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_triangle_man wrote:
RequiemX wrote:
Norsehound wrote:

I agree with you gents. One ship being able to one shot another ship is far too easily achievable now. The "game" is now less about moving neat minis around and more about creating card combinations.

Agreed - it is devolving into the search for an unstoppable force combo to try and get past the unbeatable defense combo. Maneuvering and tactics matter less than they did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reldnahc
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
There was never really much defense in the game. Its mostly about offense and 1-shoting now. I wish there was more defense like in X-Wing, where you actually have a chance to avoid damage, but that's not what this game is. I love the concept and I support it. I just wish there was more balance between offense and defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_triangle_man wrote:
RequiemX wrote:
Norsehound wrote:

Very much this. The "perfect storm" of Flagships, upgrades, captains, and Admiral's Orders has really pushed the game to a place the Klingons were close to early on (and why everyone thought they were the most over-powered faction at the start): obliterating entire ships before they fire.

The biggest irony for me, now, is that it seems like it takes more attacks on average in X-Wing to kill a TIE Fighter than it does in Attack Wing to kill a ship. For the past few OPs I have routinely one-shotted ships (at the worst killed them in two attacks after crippling them with the first). Having played about two hundred games of X-Wing competitively and casually, I can probably count the number of times I've one-shotted a ship on my hands.

Couple that concern with an ever-snowballing FAQ and problematic rules issues and I worry ever more. At our OP last night, two guys spent more time trying to figure out if Worf (crew) could be used to reroll an Anti-Matter Mine attack than they did playing their game. They checked the BGG Wiki (looking at Worf, A-M Mines, similarish cards like Sisko, etc) and tried to search the FAQ. They're both super-nice guys, but they were both getting frustrated and upset. This isn't their fault, really, but results from sloppy imprecision in card texts and a bloated FAQ thread that makes the infamous LOST boardgame's rules look clear and transparent. I fear this will just keep spiraling out of control if WizKids keeps churning out more and more product at its terrifyingly fast rate, and this is their MO for all of their other licensed properties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
Couple that concern with an ever-snowballing FAQ
Hell, even the Special Rules for OP5 were poorly written. I have been a strong proponent of the game and have been defensive of the mini quality, but c'mon...
Anyway, the game is apparently doing well and there seems to be much excitement about the upcoming Borg-related releases. I would bet that the Voyager ship pack will be the top selling expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RequiemX wrote:
Norsehound wrote:

It really seems like the Borg are going to be strong but more of a "all your eggs in one basket or two" kind of faction. The sphere is 40 points so the huge Tactical Cube could be 70 or 80, heck it could even be 100 but able to divide fire between 4 targets or something to compensate for its complete lack of activations.

As for the Jem'Hadar Battle Ships, it is about as maneuverable as a house and has a small firing arc so it can be potentially scary or against a fast opponent not as big a factor. I am looking forward to this beast though as well as the Scimitar.

We have no idea what the Enterprise E will be stat-wise, likely 5 attack dice but who knows. If we ever get a "future" Enterprise D that main phaser cannon under the saucer would probably be 6 attack dice.

Either way, they've got a bunch of my money and more to come once the releases roll out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Romer
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drahga wrote:
There was never really much defense in the game. Its mostly about offense and 1-shoting now. I wish there was more defense like in X-Wing, where you actually have a chance to avoid damage, but that's not what this game is. I love the concept and I support it. I just wish there was more balance between offense and defense.

I think mastering maneuverability is the key to this game. However, it's very, very difficult to do. Romulan fleets especially really have to learn to use their maneuverability. The one thing I would like to see to balance out attack/defense is a change of the dice. Having 3 hits and a crit on the attack dice to just 3 evades on the defense dice is a real problem. If it was just 4 hits to 3 evades it wouldn't be so bad. However the crit has the potential to do so much more that it really makes attack unbalanced when there's a 12.5% less chance of rolling an evade than some type of hit. It just makes sense that there should be 4 evades on the defense dice. The evades would still take hits off before crits making the crits mean somethinb, but one-shots would go down dramatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls