Subject: Props where they're due. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be fair. A shout out to Mr. Speaker of the house John Boehner for having the good sense to bring a clean debt-ceiling limit bill up in the house. It's nice when conservative and good sense find each other, I miss it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just coulda left off the last sentence, there would have been a tip with the thumb.

That sounds so dirty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
If you just coulda left off the last sentence, there would have been a tip with the thumb.

That sounds so dirty.

I thought about it, but seriously I thought this was stand out and should be contrasted. Consider what happened *last* time around. It could have happened again, there were calls for it. He and at least 29 others(possibly more, with others able to comfortably vote 'no' once the critical umber for yes had been reached) knew that to attempt it would be political suicide and achieve nothing. They had the guts to stick with it and risk the ire of the super PACs. If I'd left the line out, I don't think the contrast would be as strong, but to each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
After storming out of the GOP's debt ceiling meeting and pacing furiously 100 yards down a hallway deep the bowels of the Capitol, South Carolina Republican Rep. Jeff Duncan wheeled around to face a couple reporters that had managed to keep up with him.

“Why don't you talk to my son?” Duncan asked, pointing angrily at his black iPhone. “Tell him about the debt that he's going to pay. $17.3 trillion right now. This is him on the phone. He's a Clemson student, I'd be glad for you to explain how he's going to pay that back,” Duncan added, his voice full of sarcasm.

Duncan was irate about the plan Speaker John Boehner and the House GOP leadership team had just unveiled to raise the debt ceiling. Rather than use the must-pass vote to tackle rampant deficits, Boehner's plan would actually increase spending now and theoretically “pay for” the new spending with more sequester cuts five election cycles from now.

Well, yeah, he does sound like an idiot - thanks for calling that out!

(I mean, he does realize the country isn't going to end in the next decade or so, right? His son doesn't ACTUALLY have to pay off that debt...or his son's son. Or his son's son's son. Or his...etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
After storming out of the GOP's debt ceiling meeting and pacing furiously 100 yards down a hallway deep the bowels of the Capitol, South Carolina Republican Rep. Jeff Duncan wheeled around to face a couple reporters that had managed to keep up with him.

“Why don't you talk to my son?” Duncan asked, pointing angrily at his black iPhone. “Tell him about the debt that he's going to pay. $17.3 trillion right now. This is him on the phone. He's a Clemson student, I'd be glad for you to explain how he's going to pay that back,” Duncan added, his voice full of sarcasm.

Duncan was irate about the plan Speaker John Boehner and the House GOP leadership team had just unveiled to raise the debt ceiling. Rather than use the must-pass vote to tackle rampant deficits, Boehner's plan would actually increase spending now and theoretically “pay for” the new spending with more sequester cuts five election cycles from now.

They voted to allow the president to spend the money they'd already voted to order him to spend. I'd call that reasonable. If they didn't want to spend it, they should have kept working on the budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Cruz did his little dance just so that he could force some Republicans to vote with the Democrats. I'm sure he supports their primary opponents over them and this was his little gift to the whack job fringe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
XanderF wrote:
(I mean, he does realize the country isn't going to end in the next decade or so, right? His son doesn't ACTUALLY have to pay off that debt...or his son's son. Or his son's son's son. Or his...etc.)

Oh, so who is?

No one. Ever. Because that is how countries work as opposed to People. Your personal creditor has little concern over what happens to you so fuck you he wants his money. Other countries have a vested interest in the continuation of countries they have a strong tie with, so they won't call due and cause collapse. If all else fails war and reset. This may sound like theft and exploitation by the borrower. If countries exploiting other countries is new to you, well I can't help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can't pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Over the past 5 years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion. That is "trillion" with a "T." That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers. And over the next 5 years, between now and 2011, the President’s budget will increase the debt by almost another $3.5 trillion."

Freshman Senator changes outlook as he gains experience. Shit that's almost like learning, must be a libtard elitist academic concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Iniguez
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can't pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies. Over the past 5 years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion. That is "trillion" with a "T." That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers. And over the next 5 years, between now and 2011, the President’s budget will increase the debt by almost another $3.5 trillion."

"I think that it's important to understand the vantage point of a senator versus the vantage point of a president. When you're a senator, traditionally what's happened is, this is always a lousy vote. Nobody likes to be tagged as having increased the debt limit — for the United States by a trillion dollars. As president, you start realizing, you know what, we, we can't play around with this stuff. This is the full faith and credit of the United States. And so that was just an example of a new senator making what is a political vote as opposed to doing what was important for the country. And I'm the first one to acknowledge it."

Both quotes are of course Obama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Oh, so who is?

No one. Ever.

You're in for a rude awakening.

The point you cut off from his post makes the valid point - in the extreme, but it's a sound point.

Obviously, if a nation piles up TOO much debt...to the point other countries have no faith they could ever pay any meaningful part of it off before they collapse...there will be a problem. Plainly.

But we are far, far away from that happening.

This histrionic "ZOMG, WE SHOULD RUN AN ENTIRE NATION WITH A 250 YEAR HISTORY AND HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE LIKE MY OWN HOUSEHOLD" nonsense has got to stop, though.

A balanced budget is great - I like those, on even the national level, and would rather have one than not. It's not the end of the world if we don't, though, and paying off "ALL THE DEBT TOMORROW, TOMORROW, TOMORROW!" is so completely meaningless a priority that I have a real problem taking seriously someone who advocates it and thinks they should be in a role of national responsibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Oh, so who is?

No one. Ever.

You're in for a rude awakening.

Oh? When?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-yay!" My, Oh My, Maybe It Ain't Such A Wonderful Day for House Speaker John Boehner After All!

Shadrach wrote:
Just to be fair. A shout out to Mr. Speaker of the house John Boehner for having the good sense to bring a clean debt-ceiling limit bill up in the house. It's nice when conservative and good sense find each other, I miss it.

Now, if only he'll clarify what he means by singing "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!"

> Excerpt from the C-Span Feed of the Boehner's February 10, 2014 Press Conference

> MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Puzzles Over Why John Boehner Was Singing "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!"

Analyzing The Possible Coded Meaning Behind John Boehner's Repeated Singing of "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!" At Critical Junctures Involving Partisan Stand-Offs

The first time that House Speaker John Boehner is reported to have launched into song with "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!" was in late July 2011 during the stand-off concerning the raising of the Debt Ceiling.

> Excerpt from the transcript of the July 21, 2011 PBS "News Hour" segment featuring interviewer Kwame Holman and a number of Congressmen:

KWAME HOLMAN: "Other Republicans said Cut, Cap and Balance was a take-it-or-leave it proposition."

SEN. MIKE LEE, R-Utah: "And we want to make very clear, this isn’t just the best plan on the table for addressing the debt limit; this is the only plan."

KWAME HOLMAN: "Still, Speaker Boehner said most Republicans would be willing to compromise for the right deal."

REP. JOHN BOEHNER: "Oh, I’m sure we have got some members who believe that, but I do not believe that would be anywhere close to the majority. At the end of the day, we have a responsibility to act."

KWAME HOLMAN: "And even with the Aug. 2 deadline closing in...."

REP. JOHN BOEHNER (singing): "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-yay!"

KWAME HOLMAN: "... the speaker appeared in an upbeat mood, despite the apparent lack of movement (toward resolution of the stand-off)."

Could John Boehner have been purposefully launched into "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!" as a prior-agreed-upon signal he was sending to an some as-of-yet undiscovered entity code-named "Uncle Remus" (someone whom John Boehner could not afford to be seen in public with)?

Let's face it: Those stand-offs and government shutdowns have been something of a tar baby for the Republicans to have gotten their mitts stuck in because they've yet to extricate themselves from them without soiling themselves good and proper.

Or could there be some other totally innocuous reason for Boehner's launching into the "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!" song?

I first consulted the Urban Dictionary Online to see if ""Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!" might be some form of slang -- and to my astonishment, I did indeed find a current entry for it at: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=zip-a-dee-doo...

"Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!" This is used as a highly ironic response to somebody's last statement in a long line of statements, usually full of boring detail, about things that are only to do with them.

Such things as the tiny little facts about their life, lover, job, achievements etc. that are only interesting to the person telling about them ... but to anybody else? Nope.

> Example of the slang use of "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah!" in everyday conversation:

Kevin: "Well I got this new bank account and no they don't charge me for checks but of course I had to personalize the checks so I got this photo of me brushing my teeth and photoshopped my name in my mouth K-E-V-I-N one letter on each tooth from left to right or from right to left so they are don't spell NIVEK of course so you know, right, so that everybody can see it's me by name but anyway of course I don't have the letters tattooed on my teeth in real life but who knows I might just do that because it's a statement about me and you know that's a good thing, anyway as I was saying I also managed to get that same photo on the Visa card that the bank gave me too which is really cool so then...."

Chuck: "Well, zip-a-dee-doo-dah! Life is wonderful, ain't it?"

Actually, this definition fits because I also learned that at the end of the press conference, John Boehner had been anticipating applause of appreciation from his fellow Republican Congressmen in attendance, but when that didn't happen, Boehner was visibly frustrated and thus couldn't help but let slip a chorus of "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-yay! / My, oh my, what a wonderful day!" as he strode stoically out of the room with a bit of smoldering anxiety written all over his face.

(Of course, that was before the Tea Party Republicans expressed their dissatisfaction with Boehner's performance and for coming up with that compromise. Even now, they're sharpening their pitchforks for Boehner.)

So, that's all there was to it.

So, if/when you ever hear of Boehner singing a chorus of "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!" again, you'll know that he ain't exactly bearing up well. And I suspect if you strained your ears real hard, you could possibly hear ole Brer Rabbit a-hummin' along with Boehner from a discreet distance in his hidey hole in that garden of that residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Thing is-
when the debt gets too high, we will pay for it.
In the form of higher interest rates on Treasury bills. This results in higher interest rates for all commercial debt.
So its not like 'we're not paying for it' - we will. And very soon.

But on the other hand, the debt hasn't created hyperinflation, like all the gold bugs expected, and raising the debt ceiling won't do it now either. But not raising the debt ceiling will cause a major financial crisis, a self inflicted one.

Long term, I think its important to pay down the debt if only to make it easier for individuals and small businesses to get the access to capital that they need to succeed. Large Federal debt gets in the way of that- there is only such more liquid capital out to loan at any given moment and the Federal government is sucking a large portion of it. But on the other hand, the global economy is a HUGE economy, our country is stable, and investing in T-bills is a safer investment for many than other investments.

So while more debt is not a 'good' thing, the reality is that we need to be spending money to get our economic house in order. We need more spending on unemployment insurance to get people back to work, we need to spend money on infrastructure to create the basis for future growth, we need to improve our schools in order to create the necessary human capital for future growth as well. So the issue isn't spending, per se- its whether or not the spending is being directed at necessary programs to build success in the future.

But we're not having that conversation. Instead, we just hear that 'All Government spending is bad' from one party, and the other party just flinches up because to even argue the point- to show any nuance or compromise- is just used as 'See- they agree with us, cut it ALL'.

I think that the Democrats are directionless, true, but at least they're not threatening to drive us over a cliff like some in the GOP would right now, like Ted Cruz.
Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These topics are always hilarious.

A realistic take on things here and in responses I thought:

http://econbrowser.com/archives/2014/02/cbo-deficit-projecti...

My upshot:

1. The deficit is coming down pretty well given the state of the US economy.

2. The interest cost of servicing debt is currently dirt cheap (although it can't be expected to stay that way forever).

3. Economic growth remains the best engine to deal with debt (although there is obviously a lot of debt to deal with).

4. The real danger is retiring baby boomers and their costly healthcare.

5. Whats badly needed is a rational conversation on tax increases, spending cuts (particularly for defense) and an effective way to bring down healthcare costs.... LOL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
XanderF wrote:

Oh, so who is?

Which person would you like to pay it and how soon do you think the check will clear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
He's just shifting his rhetoric to suit the political ends that he has.

Since it was instituted, has there ever been a sitting President that didn't advocate raising the debt ceiling when it was necessary to avoid default?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
bjlillo wrote:

Freshman Senator changes outlook as he gains experience. Shit that's almost like learning, must be a libtard elitist academic concept.

He's just shifting his rhetoric to suit the political ends that he has.

Once your interpretive filter on someone reaches the point where anything they say or do is evidence of bad behavior you're no longer actually interpreting the data.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Once your interpretive filter on someone reaches the point where anything they say or do is evidence of bad behavior you're no longer actually interpreting the data.

That's a nice analysis, Dr. Freud. Too bad it has no basis in reality.

Of course it does. It doesn't mean that you're wrong, it means that you're not actually reaching your conclusion about the new data from the new data.

If someone does something early in their career and then later says, "That was a mistake and I'm the first to admit it," and you conclude that they're just saying what suits their interest then the new data isn't where that conclusion is coming from. You've just reached a point where anything he says or does is going to be interpreted in that light.

Again, this doesn't mean you're wrong. I've reached similar conclusions about other people in the past. I just remind myself when I get there that I'm not actually looking at new data in any meaningful way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

It's important to attack anyone who dares question Dear Leader. We must never ever question our benevolent dictator.

Drew, I recognize that you see anything I say as an attack. That doesn't make it so; it just means that you've got the same sort of interpretive filter operating with me that BJ has with Obama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

It's important to attack anyone who dares question Dear Leader. We must never ever question our benevolent dictator.
And liberals are the ones who have thin skins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Drew, I recognize that you see anything I say as an attack. That doesn't make it so; it just means that you've got the same sort of interpretive filter operating with me that BJ has with Obama.

No Chad, that was a pretty obvious attack at my intellectual integrity.
Stop calling people out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Stop calling people out!

If you're going to call people out, make a new thread, as per usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Stop calling people out!

Is it wrong to call someone out, for calling someone out, for calling someone out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Jythier wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Stop calling people out!

Is it wrong to call someone out, for calling someone out, for calling someone out?

No, but you have to link all the preceding threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Jythier wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

Stop calling people out!

No, but you have to link all the preceding threads.

Is there a minimum requirement of embedded youtube videos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.