Popular Tags: [View All]
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note I have never played this game. But I love classic fantasy board games.

So I ordered the base game, and looking to pre-order some expansions. I don't wanna go crazy w/o having played it yet. So am looking at getting these, as they are the cheapest:

Defenders of the Realm - Global Effects Deck
Defenders of the Realm - Legendary Deck
Defenders of the Realm - Quests of the Realm Deck
Defenders of the Realm - Errant Paladin Card
Defenders of the Realm - Noble Dwarf
Defenders of the Realm - Relics of the Realm and the High Council deck
Defenders of the Realm: Dragon Expansion - Global Effects
Defenders of the Realm: Realm in Flames and Darkness Spreads

Please tell me if getting these will enhance the game, am I missing anything vital. I guess the Hero pack #1 is the most liked, gonna wait to play the game before I dish out $25 for it. Otherwise it would be on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest not getting any of the expansions before you play the game at least 3-4 times. Majority of them just add a few cards which makes things more difficult.

If anything the hero expansions [or the paladin/dwarf] give you more variety to play. Personally I have the heroes expansion but did not play using the global effects which came with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just have the base game and Barbarian expansion, and was also wondering which expansion should I go with next?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocalypse Dude wrote:
Just have the base game and Barbarian expansion, and was also wondering which expansion should I go with next?
Perhaps you could tell us what you would like from an expansion; what is it that you are trying to achieve in your game? Of course, if you are just buying expansions "'cos they're there" then I guess the answer is "whichever one/ones you can afford at the moment" - 'cos you're going to buy them all any way with that approach

Personally, I'd say hold off the expansions until you've at least played the base game a few times, so you'll notice the difference when you add the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions for this are all a little pricey, just was curious if any one expansion was head and shoulders above the others, a must have. If not, im more than happy to just play with what I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some expansions to some games which add depth and are considered almost needed. I am looking for that. I also am looking for expansions which make the game have more replayability and some games suffer without it.

That's the advice I am looking for. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero packs are the best IMO, you know how much replayability is in a game when one time you play as an aggressive Dwarf, next game as the Agile Eagle Rider, next game as the undead slaying Paladin? Well those hero packs each add 4 more heroes to the 8 in the base game. Go get them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Garcia
United States
Miami Lakes
Florida
flag msg tools
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you" ― Friedrich Nietzsche
badge
“We are a way for the universe to know itself.” ― Carl Sagan
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Packs add a lot of replayability to the game, since each time you play you can try to beat the game with a different character. Each character is unique, and certainly some are more difficult than others to master.
The Dragon Expansion add more Generals (Dragons) and Dark Lord Agents, as well as more cards. In my opinion, the more, the better, but it depends on how much do you want to spend. You can also download some print and play material from this link:
http://boardgamegeek.com/files/thing/65532
There are some sort of campaigns that alter the game dramatically.
Have fun! It is an awesome, yet difficult game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Franklin
United States
Clinton
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll pretty much just mimic what everyone else here has said. Play the base game first as the expansions just add more variety to the game and minor changes to what it already has, so none of the expansions add any DRASTIC changes.

Secondly, if you are looking for the most important "expansion" to pick up, I would recommend the hero packs as have more hero's to choose from add's the most to the game. After that, and you are firmly in love with the game like the rest of us, I would recommend the Dragon Expansion. It adds the most to the game (pretty much a little bit of everything. New generals, new cards, quests, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kepa Ahedo
Spain
bilbao
vizcaya. spain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
like said oscar garcia, more is better.
first use the P&P material from BGG and after try to find a dragons expansion. The better exoansion for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so yeah I am interested in getting the 1st hero pack since it has an overwhelming 63.6% best hero pack vote according to here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/995526/poll-best-hero-expans...

No one really commented on these:

Defenders of the Realm - Legendary Deck
Defenders of the Realm - Quests of the Realm Deck
Defenders of the Realm - Relics of the Realm and the High Council deck
Defenders of the Realm: Realm in Flames and Darkness Spreads

Wouldn't these add more depth at a low cost?

I also don't want to buy a Dragon or other big expansion later and discover one of these smaller ones was part of it.

And my other big concern is, if I don't pre-order I won't get them, or get them as cheap.

I am invested into the game. And believe this game will be enjoyed. I love classic fantasy game boards. The only time I felt disappointed is I recently bought Small World and a bunch of expansions and didn't like it a lot, its ok, but its definitely not classic fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't bother with decks that make the game harder just yet, until you feel like you need more of a challenge. The Relics deck is helpful to players (If I understood the description in the Minions KS page properly) so that might be the first to go for among the various decks for now.

I also wouldn't worry about the price for expansions going up. If that is a concern, just keep your eyes on the big OLGS like Cool Stuff Inc and Miniature Market - they will undoubtedly have stuff available at a discount once it is all released for retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK you eased my mind. I will wait. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Life is not a game - games are life.
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenLaborMike wrote:
I also wouldn't worry about the price for expansions going up. If that is a concern, just keep your eyes on the big OLGS like Cool Stuff Inc and Miniature Market - they will undoubtedly have stuff available at a discount once it is all released for retail.
Actually, I wouldn't count on any of the KS related stuff or Hero Expansion reprints showing up at the usual places. Eagle Games have informed me that, due to the relatively small number that are being produced, there will be a very limited retail distribution on these items. The current plan is that they will only be available at EagleGames.net and their Flagship stores.

King Richard has offered up a bunch of Official free content for his growing army of Defenders fans - I have compiled it HERE. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem is most of the expansions you mention were part of a Kickstarter that they are now allowing everyone to pre-order as well, but no one except for perhaps testers have even seen yet alone played them. Some of the new decks add new game play, while others are just adding extra cards to the existing decks. Then you have some chrome type additions. The word is that all the Kickstarter expansions are in extremely limited quantities and only can be bought direct from Eagle games.

I honestly find the whole Kickstarter and the buy now before they are all gone approach a bit heavy-handed for a known game. It would be nice to maybe see something of the product before feeling forced to buy them before they are all gone, not to mention the pricing is going to be high since you are buying direct from the manufacture.

You should be able to find retail later this year and at a better price:
* Hero Expansion #1, #2, #3 (I don't really think #1 was so much better than the others -- it did include a better sized Paladin mini, which is probably why it was voted higher)
* The Dragon expansion (not to be confused with the Dragon Minion or Dragonkin expansion)

More heroes are always nice. The Dragon expansion makes the game harder and best to wait on that.

Once you add any of the Hero or Dragon expansions, you also start getting the Global Effect cards (9 are fixed in the Dragon but each Hero pack contains 8 random cards). The BBG store also used to sell random packs as well -- not sure if they still do. Most of us were forced to trade on BBG to get a complete set (thanks to an excellent trading list) but now you can pre-order the complete set from Eagle -- the Global Effect Pre-order (28 cards).

If you buy the Dragon expansion or the Global Effect deck (pre-order) you do not need to buy "Defenders of the Realm: Dragon Expansion - Global Effects".

Everything else from here on is really only available directly from Eagle or being sold used.

The Barbarian expansion just adds a mini and hero card for the barbarian -- this was once a promo I believe. The Errant Paladin is only a new hero card with an extra ability.

Everything else is part of the Kickstarter and only for the KS backers or by pre-order.

The following all add new cards to the game and probably give the most bang for the buck -- but hard to know considering we are all being forced to buy without knowing much about them.
Realm in Flames and Darkness Spreads (2.99)
Relics and High Council Cards (4.99)
Legendary Deck (4.99)
Quest Deck (14.99)
The Noble Dwarf Hero (2.99) -- this is just the Dwarf hero card with 1 extra ability

Alternate General Pack (17.99) This adds three new harder generals -- minis and cards. The harder dragon general is in the Dragon expansion.

All the minions expansions add unique minis for each type as well as 5 elite minions at 24.99 for each expansion:
Demon Minion Expansion
Dragon Minion Expansion
Orc Minion Expansion
Undead Minion Expansion

Just a chrome expansion but 3d gates do look cool on the board.
Magic Gates (17.99)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrCrow wrote:
The current plan is that they will only be available at EagleGames.net and their Flagship stores.

What are their Flagship stores?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Life is not a game - games are life.
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
What are their Flagship stores?
I think there is a list of their Flagship stores on the Eagle Games website.

The Flagship stores have signed MAP agreements with Eagle Games. So while you MAY possibly find these items at a big OLGS at some point, it will not be at a deep discount.

After accounting for KS rewards, there will be less than 1000 of each of the KS items and Hero Expansions available for retail distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I decided to play the cautious route of balance. Not wanting to miss out, nor spending cash on expensive expansions I bought this:

Defenders of the Realm - Global Effects Deck *Preorder* $6.99
Defenders of the Realm - Legendary Deck *Preorder* $4.99
Defenders of the Realm: Realm in Flames and Darkness Spreads *Preorder* $2.99
Defenders of the Realm - Relics of the Realm and the High Council deck *Preorder* $4.99

This also saved me on shipping, it dropped from $15 to less than $6 when I removed Defenders of the Realm - Quests of the Realm Deck *Preorder*

So it only cost about $25.

A nice happy medium.

I will take a chance on the others if I want more later. Now I have no idea when this will be released. LoL But that's ok cause I still haven't even got the base game yet!

Thanks for the help everyone.

By the way, I watched about 4 video reviews of this today before making any decision.

Lots of references to Pandemic, a game I never played, but have heard about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:

No one really commented on these:

Each Hero pack game with 5 or 6 of the Global Effects Cards, and you can currently order a deck of 10? from the BGG store. There was a total of about 40 cards? These cards add flavor to the game, they might throw a wrench into your plans but don't really change the game. Cards are like "Heavy Rain" no horse movement while in effect. So it really hurts the Paladin and Captain of the Guard, and prohibits horse cards to move faster. Stuff like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might I ask how you actually found the game to buy?

It's OOS everywhere I can find with the exception of Eagle Games which is retail $. A few months ago it was readily available for ~$55.. There is no information about it being OOP or being reprinted.

Edit: $90 on Amazon is outrageous. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I did list it elsewhere but not here. I got it from CardHause.

I am a huge gamer, but hadn't bought games for a few years, and struck up my interest last fall. I also am a good Googler. I found this website:

http://www.boardgameprices.com/

and one almost as good:

http://boardgamesearch.com/index.html

Unfortunately they are now out of stock. I may have let the cat out of the bag in other threads. whistle

But those 2 websites help me find games.

And yes there is information about a reprint. This thread, another I started, and 1 or 2 more threads on this website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the linksarrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:

It's OOS everywhere I can find with the exception of Eagle Games which is retail $. A few months ago it was readily available for ~$55.. There is no information about it being OOP or being reprinted.

Even at 55 the publisher is pushing it for this game and the current price of 84 is absolutely ridiculous.
Games such as Caverna:The Cave Farmers get away with it as there are a truckload of wooden components.
At the end of the day this is simply an overpriced game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
humbleroots wrote:
alandric wrote:

Even at 55 the publisher is pushing it for this game and the current price of 84 is absolutely ridiculous.
Games such as Caverna:The Cave Farmers get away with it as there are a truckload of wooden components.
I don't think you understand how economics work. Anything is worth exactly what people are prepared to pay for it and not a penny more or less. You might find it too expensive for you to purchase it, but if it's being purchased at current prices, then that's what is worth. I accept that there is a difference between your price preference/subjective valuation and market prices, but that doesn't change the market value of the 'thing' being purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
humbleroots wrote:
alandric wrote:

I don't think you understand how economics work. Anything is worth exactly what people are prepared to pay for it and not a penny more or less. You might find it too expensive for you to purchase it, but if it's being purchased at current prices, then that's what is worth. I accept that there is a difference between your price preference/subjective valuation and market prices, but that doesn't change the market value of the 'thing' being purchased.
Every game in the top ten sells for around 50 dollars except for Eclipse. The attitude that any consumer item is worth what people are willing to pay for it is the root of bad business practice all aroundshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |