Hide
4 Posts

WARS Trading Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Deployment/Attrition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hythonia cruel
msg tools
I have a very basic question about deploying troops and then immediately causing attrition.

So from what I understand, you can deploy a character at any site where there is an energy symbol on your side. If your tactics total up to 4 or more, then you can immediately do attrition, possibly damaging and removing your opponent's characters at that site. Is this correct?

For example:

Let's say that one of the sites that my opponent has is Ganymede/Vantage Point. This is a site that provides him with 2 energy and provides me with 1 energy.

On that site, he only has the character Kujiko Torako, who has 4 tactics and a defense of 6. Assume that I do not have any characters at this site. Also assume for the purposes of this illustration that my opponent does not have the energy to activate Kujiko's ability.

During my turn, during the Control Phase I have enough energy and support to play Torrid Katal, who only has 1 tactic and 1 defense. Then during the Deploy Phase I immediately deploy him at the Ganymede Vantage point.

Torrid Katal has a unique ability that allows me to pay 2 energy to invert the card. I pay these two energy and invert the card. The inverted card has an additional ability that allows me to pay 2 energy to cause attrition here (regardless of tactic it seems.)

Then I pay 1 energy to declare battle at that location during the Battle Phase. Because my tactics total is not high enough (only 1 from Torrid Katal) I cannot a card for battle destiny during the Destiny Step. My opponent has a total of 4 tactics allowing him to reveal a card for battle destiny. Let's just say that the card he revealed had a destiny of 3.

Then during the Attrition Step I activate Torrid Katal's inverted ability. I pay 2 energy and cause attrition+1 until end of turn.

So my opponent is causing me an attrition of 3, while I am causing him an attrition of 1. As a result, both my character and my opponent's character are damaged (and rotated 90 degrees). Regardless of what happens for the rest of the battle phase, both characters are destroyed during the End of Battle Step.

Is the above example something that I can legally do? I specifically chose these two characters because it seemed like this mechanic allowed me to destroy my opponent's strong character (Kujiko Torako) with my own weak creature (Torrid Katal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is legal. Cards and abilities may affect attrition and battle destiny even if you don't actually draw a battle destiny card.

I think most players quickly learn not to deploy or leave a character alone at a battleground site. Unless you have some tricks up your sleeve you're just asking to get crushed.

However in this example while it's true the weaker card 'destroyed' the stronger, the added attrition is NOT added battle destiny. So it ends up with Kujiko Torako having power 6 (3 + 3 destiny) against power 3. Torrid Katal's defense is only 1. So you still lost and have to discard 2 energy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hythonia cruel
msg tools
atrox7 wrote:
This is legal. Cards and abilities may affect attrition and battle destiny even if you don't actually draw a battle destiny card.

I think most players quickly learn not to deploy or leave a character alone at a battleground site. Unless you have some tricks up your sleeve you're just asking to get crushed.

However in this example while it's true the weaker card 'destroyed' the stronger, the added attrition is NOT added battle destiny. So it ends up with Kujiko Torako having power 6 (3 + 3 destiny) against power 3. Torrid Katal's defense is only 1. So you still lost and have to discard 2 energy.

Hey thanks a lot for the fast reply.

Yea I realize that Torrid Katal is going to die, the idea was more of a suicide assassination run to get rid of Kujiko Torako. But I guess it is a good lesson to never leave Kujiko alone like that.

If my opponent had 2 open energy, that would Save Kujiko (while allowing her to kill Torrid) correct?

On that issue, what does it mean to be "immune" to attrition? Lets say that I had Kujiko, and two other creatures, each with defense 2. Let's say that my opponent forced me to take 5 damage in attrition. Could I assign all 5 to Kujiko and then have her shrug it off with the ability? Or am I forced to assign 4 to my other creatures first, and then leave the last point unassigned (because Kujiko is immune)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hythoniathecruel wrote:
If my opponent had 2 open energy, that would Save Kujiko (while allowing her to kill Torrid) correct?
Yes. Also note that Kujiko says lose 2 energy to make her immune. Those two energy could come from hand, used pile, reserve deck, anywhere its legal to lose energy. Your opponent wouldn't have to have two energy in their active pile in order to trigger this ability.

hythoniathecruel wrote:
On that issue, what does it mean to be "immune" to attrition? Lets say that I had Kujiko, and two other creatures, each with defense 2. Let's say that my opponent forced me to take 5 damage in attrition. Could I assign all 5 to Kujiko and then have her shrug it off with the ability? Or am I forced to assign 4 to my other creatures first, and then leave the last point unassigned (because Kujiko is immune)?
It is the latter. You must forfeit the units that are not immune. You could forfeit Kujiko instead to cover all the attrition, even though she is immune, if that made more strategic sense for you. In other words, immunity to attrition does not remove the option of forfeiting the immune unit to satisfy attrition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls