Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any forums for finding BGGers that may be on a cuise ship!? My wife and I will be taking a cruise in March in the Caribbean and I was wondering of anyone else will be on the boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
My wife and I will be taking a cruise in March in the Caribbean and I was wondering of anyone else will be on the boat.

Nope, probably just you two, hope you know how to Captain a HUGE ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone would have to go through the work (which is substantial) of organizing and publicizing a board game cruise.

I do know of Scrabble cruises (actual rated tournaments with prizes); there may be cruises for other games as well.

Granted, the recent publicity about mass illnesses on cruise ships doesn't help matters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried to drum up interest for a March Norwegian cruse out of New Orleans. Which are you going on and when?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ours leaves from San Juan, Puerto Rico and hits a few different islands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Barker
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
Ours leaves from San Juan, Puerto Rico and hits a few different islands.

Sailing Carnival liberty? Hits up Bahamas, us virgin islands, Puerto Rico, and Turks & cacos?

I just got home from that one on Saturday. I wish I had met a fellow boardgamer! Would have been some fun times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ours goes south: BVI, St Marten, St Kitts, Dominica and Barbados.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Pandemic for the theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wifey and I are on a different cruise in March. We're taking a Princess Cruise to the Panama Canal from Ft Lauderdale.

Not planning on taking any games. Kindles with lots of books and apps instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I went on a cruise a couple of years ago and took a few board games. Never found any other gamers, we just got a lot of people walking past, stopping, pointing at our games and talking animatedly to each other in Russian or Italian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the draw of cruises in warm places... of course I live in Las Vegas so I dream of cruises to the Antarctic. Or well, Alaska would do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
Are there any forums for finding BGGers that may be on a cuise ship!? My wife and I will be taking a cruise in March in the Caribbean and I was wondering of anyone else will be on the boat.

I'm going on a Pacific cruise mid year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first cruise my wife and I went on, we were playing chess in the library when some young-teen kids asked if they could play. By the end of the 4-day cruise, we had a round robin 'tournament' going with about 12 players.

Every ship I've been on had half a dozen of the more common board games in their library. If you took a couple, you could probably find players. Just take something you can play with your wife, and be ready to start a new game when people ask. That's the way to go, if you ask me.

Although, a BGG specific cruise would be very enticing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wylann wrote:
Although, a BGG specific cruise would be very enticing.

+1, Although likely it if were a gamer cruise no one would ever want to get off the boat. The shows would go unwatched, the swimming pools would sit empty, and all the restaurant tables would be too full of game components to serve food on!

We're heading on a Caribbean cruise in late May. We're planning on bringing a few "meatier" card and more portable board games (Race for the Galaxy, Fleet, Caylus Magna Carta, Spyrium)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We cruised the Carnival Magic last March.

There were copies of Settlers of Catan and Zooloretto in the library, I was shocked. Someone must have left them on board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cohen
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd re-open this and see if anyone had any suggestions of cruse forums or other places to find gamers before going on the cruise. That way I'll know if I should bring games or not.

Already looking to bring some party games for my non-gaming cruising partners like Anomia, one-night werewolf, exploding kittens.

Any suggetions of places to look and /or games to bring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now there is an annual BGG@Sea, which is a weeklong boardgame CON. I went on the first one and had a great time. Cool addition to a cruise with them offering a single price which covers the cruise, tips, taxes, and the con all for one price. Next one is out of Galveston over Memorial Day weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristi

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm...I just found a Gamer Adventures cruise.
There is a 2017 Alaskan cruise that is very tempting....
Has anyone gone on these cruises before?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
I don't understand the draw of cruises in warm places... of course I live in Las Vegas so I dream of cruises to the Antarctic. Or well, Alaska would do.

Well that is why. I am from Ohio and we like to cruise in February and March when it is between 70 degrees in the Caribbean. That is banana hammock weather in these parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Iachini
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The JoCo Cruise has been going on annually for the past six years, and board gaming is a huge part of it. My wife and I went in 2015, and we are goi g again in 2017, when the JoCo group will have the whole ship. I'm really looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Banta
United States
Coffeyville
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that is exactly what BGG@SEA 2016 and the one next is BBG's on a cruise playing games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/62330/royal-caribbean...

The game room had the usual "drivel" of mass market stuff, but I did see folks play "the good stuff", even though there were only 3 cases of them (as indicated in the geek list entries).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Price
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
[q="Wylann"]Although, a BGG specific cruise would be very enticing.

+1, Although likely it if were a gamer cruise no one would ever want to get off the boat. The shows would go unwatched, the swimming pools would sit empty, and all the restaurant tables would be too full of game components to serve food on!

There is the Dice Tower cruise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tumatan wrote:
cbazler wrote:
[q="Wylann"]Although, a BGG specific cruise would be very enticing.

There is the Dice Tower cruise...
heh... there was a bit of disdain from others on one cruise when a bunch of folks "commandeered" a few tables in the dining hall to play Mahjongg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that the Dice Tower were organising a gaming cruise. To be quite honest with you, however much I like gaming, and however nice you all are, I would rather have my nails pulled out / be force fed a thousand meeples / listen to Justin Bieber /kiss Donald Trump than go on a cruise. I have very bad sea sickness. I have to take a six hour long ferry trip to go home to Wales this weekend. That's all of the cruise I will be doing, I'm telling you.

If you do go, don't forget the ultimate game for a cruise : S.O.S Titanic !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |