4 Posts

Coup» Forums » Variants

Subject: Seven coins to kill variant [+ strategy, - random] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marc mad
Canada
flag msg tools
I feel like the 7 coins coup is very hard to avoid especially with a lot of players. Anyone can target you once they got their 7 coins . And you cant stop like 5 players from getting that amount of coins if they all choose to target you.

This variant do not increases the length of the game but reduces the randomness associated with the "I can kill anyone with 7 coins and there is no way to block it" when playing with a lot of players. I think it adds some strategy too.

Here it is:

When paying 7 coins to kill a character, you can only target one of the two players sitting next to you. When a player is eliminated (no more character), he is not considered around the table when looking for who sits next to you. The assassin can still target anyone (since you can block it)

That way each player only has 2 players to be careful about not getting 7 coins. And you can even create alliances with players that are not next to you. (And maybe betray them with the assassin ;p )

Well I like this variant

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or try Coup: Reformation. Each player is either Catholic or Protestant. You can't target your own religion unless everyone is the same religion. As your turn you can pay coins to change your own religion or the religion of another player.

Works well if you have that it's five against one feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Coup: Reformation is excellent. It gives you a new source of income (embezzlement from the almshouse), two new ways to spend money (converting yourself to a new faith, or converting someone else), and a belief (catholic or protestant) that can protect you from a coup, assassination, or extortion.

The bad news is that there were only 400 copies printed. That's for the original City State edition released at Essen next year. Given the game's popularity I'm sure it will be licensed and reprinted with new artwork for the various editions out there.

The good news is that you can easily make your own version. The belief cards stay face up on front of you, so you can use almost anything. And the almshouse is just a piece of paper that goes in the middle of the table. The components here are minimal. If you already have Coup you can easily rig your own version while you wait for the new printing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dye
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karlfast wrote:
Coup: Reformation is excellent.

The good news is that you can easily make your own version.

What he said. I think the expansion is much more fluid than locking you in to neighbors only. To me, that would take away as much of the fun of the game as it would "fix" anything. Part of the point of the unblockable coup is the inevitability of it. Reformation definitely addreses your concern, but in a way that still adds diplomacy and table-talk to it, instead of just who you happen to be sitting next beside.

I haven't played with it yet, but have yet to play Coup with more than 4. I am very intrigued by it though.

Other posts have statements from Indie Board & Cards that they are planning to release the expansion for the resistance version sometime this year. Until then, there is a PnP version in the files section, but as was mentioned, almost anything two-sided (coins, poker chips, pieces of paper, etc) will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls