Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Legendary, FF and Dark City. Can I go ahead and mix them all together in the base box or should I leave them separate and play the base game a few times first and then incorporate the expansions later on?

I'm not sure if the expansions introduce any new rules that might confuse things while just learning the game?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cptcanuck wrote:
I just got Legendary, FF and Dark City. Can I go ahead and mix them all together in the base box or should I leave them separate and play the base game a few times first and then incorporate the expansions later on?

I'm not sure if the expansions introduce any new rules that might confuse things while just learning the game?

Thanks

They introduce a few new keywords (like teleport, focus, and versatile for the heros and burrow and a few other for the villians) but they are easy to understand. I'd mix them together. If you have a question it's super easy to find the answer in the dinky rules sheets for the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
I would, however, stick with the Base Game schemes, masterminds, and villains, until you get a handle on the game. I'm finding some of the newer ones almost frustratingly impossible to beat.

Just IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the base set's masterminds and schemes first. Save Galactus and Apocalypse until you have a little experience under your belt. I'd say go ahead and mix in the heroes from the expansions though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Minor
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cptcanuck wrote:

Thanks

Welcome to the game, and to this section of BGG! I've only been here for a month and a half, but I have found this community to be supportive, insightful, creative, and fun!

I got the game for the holiday, and I mixed it all in. I would follow the advice of the others, though, on Masterminds and Schemes. Apocalypse is the stuff of nightmares, and Galactus, well I understand why he's a world-killer now...

Again, welcome to the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, welcome to the Legendary community!

Be sure to check out Jacovis' Unofficial FAQ and Card Errata:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92138/unofficial-collected...

And, after you've got your feet wet, try the Weekly Challenges:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1008529/weekly-challenge-sub...

If you enjoy playing Legendary solo, we have a solo league, the Legendary Online League! Season 2 is going on right now, so you'll have to wait until season 3 to join. Look for that to start in April.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice and links. I will go ahead and combine the sets which will make it much easier for me to organize and label dividers. I'll be sure to stick to the 'easier' villans for sure.

I'm guessing I will be playing a lot of solo games. My family is my gaming group and more often than not, the only time I have for games is when they have to go to bed. Once I get up to par with this game, I will look into the Weekly Challenges and Online League. Of course I'm terrible at games and rarely win so I don't want to embarras myself too much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, here's one last link I would recommend:

http://legendary.monkeyunion.net/

It's my favorite randomizer. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What timing. I was just going through video one of the Watch it Played series and was thinking...I should go find a randomizer and here it is. Thanks

DarthEd wrote:
Oh, here's one last link I would recommend:

http://legendary.monkeyunion.net/

It's my favorite randomizer. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also a couple of great apps for randomizing Legendary if you have iOS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first solo game tonight using just the core set and the randomizer and I defeated the Mastermind. I was surprised I won and it seemed rather simple as there was never much threat but I'm sure I got real lucky with the setup.

Mastermind - Dr Doom
Scheme - Legacy Virus
Villains - Skrulls
Henchmen - Savage Land Beasts (unless I played it wrong they were actually very helpful to me)
Heroes - Storm, Hulk and Hawkeye

Score 36vp - 21 (7 Scheme twists)
Total:15
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Minor
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! It looks like you are ready to start facing some of those Dark City masterminds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drach
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't know about that. This was my first play through and while I do believe I did things correctly, I need to play a few more times I think.

Now, looking at the weekly challenges they show 5 heroes in a 1 player game but the randomizer selected 3. What is the right amount to play with in a solo game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 heroes is correct when playing solo, unless the scheme setup says otherwise.

Except when fighting Galactus or Apocalypse, you're going to win most games. The challenge comes from trying to maximize your score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Payne
United States
Felton
California
flag msg tools
However you handle what cards to play with when, may I suggest the following for how to use the boxes? Put all of your heroes in one side of the dark city box, and all of your other cards in the main box, using the 'filler blocks' from dark city to take up some of the extra space. I've found this helps keep the cards organized and makes them easy to pull out, plus you have tons of room for expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls