Subject: Dr. Hume; a question for DoA I & II rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Koehn
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Invisible man from these games, based on the Invisible man from H.G. Wells' novel of the same name,
or is it based on the Invisible man from Ralph Waldo Ellison's book also of the same name?

My guess is that it is based on H.G. wells' version, just based on respect alone as in the story he is mostly insane.

also there is the third option that you (Brett Murrell) made this all your own. So which is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralph Ellison's invisible man is not physically invisible; he's socially invisible, what we today would call "off the grid".

Wells' protagonist is called "Griffin". I assume Mr. Murrell decided to create his own character, with many of Griffin's attributes.

Probably wise, as literary estates are often known to be unreasonable, litigious and none too deterred by the actual letter of copyright law.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Murrell
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. Hume is an original creation but with clear inspiration in Well's (not Ellison's) work. Dr. Hume and Dr. Memnar are intended as figures in the timeline of the Lostlight Society storyline (which starts in the Colonial Horizons setting with Marley Kenyon and Jolie).

The only real difference thematically is that H. G. Well's deepest concern is the advance of technology, and the emphasis for Dr. Hume is the lack of advance of human nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DuelistofAges wrote:
Is the Invisible man from these games, based on the Invisible man from H.G. Wells' novel of the same name,
or is it based on the Invisible man from Ralph Waldo Ellison Emerson?

Ralph Waldo Emerson was an American poet.

Ralph Ellison wrote, Invisible Man in 1952 dealing with racial prejudice in America.

H.G. Welles wrote, The Invisible Man in 1897 about a scientist whose discovery, and use on himself, of invisibility causes him to go nuts for power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Old Man wrote:
DuelistofAges wrote:

Ralph Ellison wrote, Invisible Man in 1952 dealing with racial prejudice in America.

H.G. Welles wrote, The Invisible Man in 1897 about a scientist whose discovery, and use on himself, of invisibility causes him to go nuts for power.

Ellison's middle name was also Waldo. Initially, I also thought the OP had made a mistake, but upon checking, found that Ellison was named for Emerson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
The Old Man wrote:
DuelistofAges wrote:

Ellison's middle name was also Waldo. Initially, I also thought the OP had made a mistake, but upon checking, found that Ellison was named for Emerson.
This is of interest, but he is always credited as "Ralph Ellison" on all of his writings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls