Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having recently gotten into STAW in a big way (26 starships currently in commission in my fleet), I'm curious about OP opportunities. Problem is, I can't detect any stores hosting events in the Pittsburgh, PA area. At least, the websites/Facebook pages of the four stores I'm most familiar with, Legions on Perry highway, Game Masters Realm in Hopewell, Gamemaster on Babcock Blvd, and Phantom of the Attic downtown, don't reference STAW OP events whatsoever.

Anyone know of any stores running events around here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Closest place I know of is Mansfield, but that's 3+ hours away. Check on the Wizkids Event System maybe you can find something closer. Unfortunately, not every store lists their events there though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raleigh of Borg
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there was a star wars attack wing event at Steel City Con. I thought there might be one at Legions in perry highway, but nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an opportunity for you to start a tournament and get a playing group going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that northeast Ohio isn't near, but if you're up for it, we're running an event Sunday in Mentor, OH. We're in Wizkids, but it's likely not worth it for the drive for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_triangle_man wrote:
Sounds like an opportunity for you to start a tournament and get a playing group going!

Ah, if this were perhaps 10 years ago I might go in this direction. However at this point in my life it's all I can do to find time to play games with my buddies. I don't have the time or desire to be an event organizer. I can get plenty of enjoyment out of casual play so it's no big deal to me personally. I am however somewhat surprised that a major metropolitan area like Pittsburgh with at least four or five strong FLGS doesn't have at least one store doing STAW Organized Play events!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The issue is that for each month, a store had to buy the previous month's OP kit. To buy the first one, the store had to place an order meeting certain requirements. We're on month 5 of 6 now for the Dominion War series of events. In April, it'll be a one-off event. Check with your local stores, see if they'll order one of those. I am not aware of any requirements to order them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
the_triangle_man wrote:

Ah, if this were perhaps 10 years ago I might go in this direction. However at this point in my life it's all I can do to find time to play games with my buddies. I don't have the time or desire to be an event organizer. I can get plenty of enjoyment out of casual play so it's no big deal to me personally. I am however somewhat surprised that a major metropolitan area like Pittsburgh with at least four or five strong FLGS doesn't have at least one store doing STAW Organized Play events!
I hear you. I just turned 41 and have a two year old son, so I don't get to game as much either. Stupid responsibilities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raleigh of Borg
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played warhammer there were some good guys from Mansfield who we played with some, not sure if these are the same guys or not. Im sure we could talk with someone about running an event around here. But if its too late to get into OP stuff for some reason then it just stinks. Perhaps the next season of events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls