Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Fox
United States
Cairo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight we finally had a chance to tart previewing our copy of Eternal Dynasty. I thought I would share our initial game, and our initial impressions of the game. Mind you, I am playing this with my other two board game writers, from Just Press Start.

When reading this session, you might want to have watched the first 10 minutes of play walk through. So that you have a decent idea of how the game is played.

It was a three player game, so we were only going to play through 3 generations, with 9 turns each generation. While there are 36 rulers in the game, we were only going to see 9 each. Having so many rulers at the start, leads to a lot of synergy, and already has use feeling like we have endless amount of replayability.

We were playing with the 3 player variant running, were we roll a d20 twice, and the two provinces that come up are "quarantined". More or less the leaders of those provinces are pulled out of the game, and influence markers can't be placed in either of them.

I can't remember who each person had in terms of rules, so I apologize for that. I do know our first generation was very interesting, as we started using the voting mechanic right away! We didn't waste any time pushing the rules to the absolute limit our first time one.

First generation, two votes were called. The first vote limited expansion into territories using military influence, and it passed. I remember thinking that it was a huge deal, as the character I was playing that generation had mostly military bonus influence. My dynasty cards helped with political influence though. It was the second vote that killed this generation though. The a "Trade Embargo" vote was called, which prevented expansion using political influence. The rest of the round was spent just bolstering up the few territories we already had, since you could continue adding influence.

From there on out, the three of us were no holds barred. If we weren't using the coins, the final scores would all be within a point or two of each other... but sadly the bonus coins flew my friend into the lead for the win.

Overall, the game was very simple to learn and easy to play. The amount of choice the game has to offer is immense, but it doesn't bog you down. In fact, a lot of great care seems to have been made to keep the players from having Analysis Paralysis. AP can kill games, but in this case, there was none, so things ran pretty smooth.

With the three of us, we played for about 60 minutes, and we all had a good time.

I know we only have a prototype right now, but my friends wife was remarking on how beautiful the art was on the cards, and I have to agree. Everything is very elegantly designed and I can't wait to see the final product.

I am going to bring this to the table during our weekly board game day and hopefully get a few more plays. Then I will more than likely write my full preview of the game. Also, hopefully I can keep track of everything so I can write a session report or two.

So far, I absolutely love it. Two thumbs up, or even
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very fired up about this game when I first heard of it. I love the period and the idea of generations and different rulers, but from what I've seen the gameplay looks a bit dry, so I want to get your opinion, since you've played it.

I'm guessing I'm oversimplifying by saying you pick a ruler, play a card, then play either military or political influence markers, and repeat, but that's the impression I got from the video, so drop some knowledge on me, please.

What is it about the game that makes it engrossing, or strategic or tense, and are there aspects of the gameplay that give it an "ancient China" feel?

I really want to like this game, so I'm searching for more info. Any help is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Craig:

I'm not sure if Luke is checking this forum, and I don't want to answer the question on behalf of my own game, but I'd invite you to check out David McMillan's review in another thread.

Here's a quote from that review which I think addresses your question:

Quote:
Eternal Dynasty has that simplistic looking quality that so many other games possess that belies the complexity that lies beneath. One of the things about this game that makes it so fascinating is the idea of your actions spanning across several generations. When you begin the game, you’ve hardly got anything to show for it. As the generations come and go, though, there are pieces everywhere so that this thing that you did 20 turns ago is having a direct effect on this other thing right now. I’ve never played a game like that before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Fox
United States
Cairo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas I am sorry for the slow reply. I have actually been spending most of my time, trying to get as money plays in as I can, so I can work on the full preview. (should be going up soon)

Craig, when you are telling someone the basic idea of how the game plays I am going to full admit, it sounds dry. It really does. And I know that isn't going to sell the game.

It's what happens that makes this game so rich. Every choice made, has an impact. Moves you do in the first generation have impact and influence much later on in the game. Also, the veying and the jockying of control... the constant back and forth between the players makes the game a full rich experience.

Straight up saying how it plays... sure sounds dry, but the more I play, the more I'm drawn in to figuring out how to get my Rulers to work together each generation, ie... how do I get their special abilities, or their number of Dynasty cards held to work more in my favor. How can I set myself off for the next generation? How am I going to fend off other players from eyeing up the different provinces that I am looking to keep control over etc.

There is a lot more depth than just how simple the mechanics are. As I said, I can't get enough. In fact, it is the show case at this weekends board game group meeting at my local FLGS.

Take a listen to our Interview: http://justpressstart.net/eternal-dynasty-interview/

Take a read of the full preview: http://justpressstart.net/eternal-dynasty-board-game-preview...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Yu
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb