Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Should I give a maybe-not-so-flgs another chance? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abraham Pak
msg tools
Hello, I'm new to this forum, although I've been a lurker for a while. I have a question for you guys as it has been bugging me for a while.

To explain the situation, here's a quick story. There's only one shop close by to where I live. I visited there before to check it out and went well before the posted closing time. But when I arrived there and tried to enter, I was told by one of the worker (not sure if it was an employee or owner) very blatantly that they were closing up and unless I knew what I wanted, I should leave. When I told them that I was there to just look around, he basically closed the door in my face. I didn't even get to take a step inside.

I was left speechless and swore that even should the mountains crumbles away and the seas dries up, I will NEVER shop there again! I have kept to this promise for about 3 years now and in that time, I bought most of it online. I slowly moved away from card/board gaming (I was really into MTG then), now, I'm coming back into board gaming.

The thing is, this place gets great reviews on yelp about how friendly the place is and what great environment it is. I started thinking, maybe the person was just having a bad day (it happens), maybe whoever it was got fired (it's possible), maybe I just misunderstood the situation at the time (kinda hard to justify the rudeness though).

Should I give them another chance and try and support a local game store? Or should I stick to my guns and not look back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gentleman Loser
msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, a lot could change in three years, so it might be worth giving them a shot. If you think that you would get added value out of an FLGS that actually was friendly, give it another shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were in your shoes I would give them another shot. As you said, the employee may have been having a bad day (which doesn't really excuse anything I suppose but we're all human and make mistakes; I could forgive someone being rude like that once). Or there is a chance that the guy was just a bad employee and had been counseled or let go since then.
If the place has really great reviews, I would imagine that kind of behavior being infrequent.

At least you have a game store near your location. I think you should hit them up at least one more time and feel them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Crawford
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say give them one more chance. Like you said, the employee could have been a jerk for any number of reasons (not that they excuse their behavior). With an attitude like that, I wouldn't be surprised if they got fired, unless they were the owner or something.

You could give them another shot, maybe spend some time in the store, browsing and asking questions to gauge the "friendliness" of the store before you drop any cash on them. If it turns out that your first impression was correct, you can leave without spending a dime and never have to come back. Their loss. On the other hand if the store turns out to be a nice place, great! You've found a FLGS to call your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say give it a go. The FLGS is pretty important to developing, perpetuating and growing the hobby. I don't necessarily feel that one must ALWAYS patronize the FLGS, but I think it's important to keep the industry and hobby healthy and alive for future generations.

Plus, much can change in that time and there may even be rational explanations for what happened (although I agree, explanations are not necessarily valid excuses).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Pak
msg tools
Yeah, you guys are right and it was probably the answer I wanted to hear, which was probably the reason why it was bugging me. I just needed a push to nudge my stubborn self in this direction. Three years of grudge is long enough and no harm in checking the place out again. If it turns out to be a good place, I would have gained a cool place to hang out at, and if it turns out to be rubbish, well it's back to the Cold War which just puts me back to the status quo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't have to be a "love them or hate them" relationship. It's perfectly fine to have a shop that you just pop in occasionally when they have something you want or to look around, but do most of your shopping elsewhere. That's pretty much my relationship with every games shop in London.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Discussing Retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
put down the guns .... just figure the guy is a magic player who opened a store ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still go to the local store that annoys the hell out of me. It gives me more stories to gripe about ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Edmonsds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a former (thank God) retail worker, I can testify that the worst person to see is a just-looking-browser as you're trying to close. How much do you enjoy having to stay late at work at the last minute?

But, on the other side, it sounds like the worker was unnecessarily rude. It's not hard to simply say "I'm sorry, but we're closed at this point. We'll reopen tomorrow - can you come back then?"

I would give the shop another chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hob "the Goblin" Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
You flinched!
badge
Now you have to marry your mother-in-law.
mbmbmbmbmb
On a different note,

welcome to BGG, former lurker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with everyone else. Give it another try. Three years is a long time. That employee may not even work their anymore - or maybe your first visit was on the day he got fired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow - I'm not sure I would have even left it three years.

There are so many possibilities why it happened - for instance, maybe there was an emergency meaning they had to close early that day and you caught them at the wrong time.

However, it's your money, spend it as you wish - if you're happy buying online then do so. If you want to give them another try then do so.

One thing I would add - rather than use Yelp, why don't you post on your local forums here, or even mention the name of the store in this thread. I'm sure you'll get a lot of quality information on whether that's 'normal' behaviour for the store, or whether "yeah they used to be like that but they are so much better now".

Personally, I'd give it another try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did it turn out second time around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Pak
msg tools
@Andy
I've worked retail before and knows how it feels to have a last minute browser come in, but I visited when it was a couple of hours before their posted closing time, which is what irked me.

@Family Gamer
What can I say? I hold a grudge. Once you cross the line, you're dead to me. lol. I thought about posting the name of the store on here to ask about bgg's opinion, but just in case it was an honest mistake, I didn't want to poop on their reputation.

@Dan the man
Here's an update. I went to visit the store this past weekend to check it out. Made sure to arrive around mid-day, so no issue with closing time. It was a night and day difference. They were really friendly and helpful. Came over a couple of times, introduced themselves (2 workers) and asked if I needed any help. I told them I was just browsing and they let me look on in peace.

After a few minutes of looking around, I asked them a few questions and recommendations. Was told about a game testing area in the back where they had several games that were either store test games or employee's personal game that they set so I could try out a few games that I'm interested in. Was also told about board game night that they have every week and other events they host as well.

It was such a different experience that I wondered if it was the same store that I tried to visit in the past. I didn't end up buying any games, but left with a set of dice and a few card sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lard Head
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear that worked out! Now you have your very own FLGS!

Happy Gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls