Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of the play testers on this project and thus far I'm very impressed with the game system. Straight forward, non-tedious rules get you into the action fast. The game play so far is rapid paced, tense, and leaving you with the feeling of wanting to see "what's going to happen next turn...?"

I'm also working on the rules editing to make sure it's is easy to read; easy to learn from; and easy to navigate when you need to find something. My play test buddy and I (amongst others) are pushing the system very hard to make sure this is a easy-to-learn, fast flowing game with high replay value (and minimal errata) that respects the history.

A personal aim for me would be for Ted's great design and all our efforts on this wonderful system help make this game join the ranks of great ACW war games on the WBC roster (the best competitive game tournament on Earth - IMHO)

I hope I've conveyed some of the dedication we feel towards this great project enough to convince any who haven't pre-ordered it yet to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I'm play testing this game the more I like it. The system is very "clean" (i.e. minimal tedious chrome) and we're working hard to improve that aspect even more. I've put my other play testing projects on hold because this one is so much fun to play. The mechanics are straight forward but player decisions are often challenging considering the multiple factors (like timing with imperfect knowledge)in the mix. Exactly how I like my war games.

I like that the Gettysburg battle has multiple paths to victory and I'm in the process now of trying to achieve it through a (for me) secondary plan as my 1st (rather ambitious) one is no longer an option.
I love witnessing how my operational strategy is evolving based on the situation on the ground.

This is going to be a real war gamer's game. The character of the history is all there - but beautifully and elegantly abstracted.

Always the mark of a classic for me. (I know I'm biased...but it's true!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kerstan
Australia
Sandy Bay
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great, thank you for sharing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really looking forward to this game. It is like 45 orders short of the P500 on GMT's site, almost there. I have played the WW I versions of this system and I am a big fan of the game system. It is very clean, combat is very attritionist, and it really feels like the player is running things, not the scenario or a designer's script. I mean you can plan and the grand tactics you use really drive the outcome.

The basis of the system is a combat system in which the conflicting sides in a local combat have to check quality to see whether they take losses, with the chance modified by the odds in that combat, and the number that have to roll on the stronger side sometimes limited. This has the effect that middling-odds combats just weaken both sides by a similar amount, with the more numerous side spreading that pain over more units, but a similar amount of losses overall, in expectation that is.

There are large portions of military history for which that is a much mroe accurate representation of typical combat outcomes than the "biggest stack wins", "fight lopsided then do it often" system of modern maneuver warfare periods. It is really hard to just fight with local odds and then do it a lot and string that together into a lopsided total kill ratio, when you are wearing out the edge of the men in each brush with the enemy.

Such attrition systems make it more important to employ ranks and reliefs and reserves, to deal with the way each individual formation has limited combat "wind", before it gets so worn down that it is ineffective and vulnerable. Managing combat under those conditions just uses a different set of military skills, and managing them is fun and realistic.

Can't wait to actually get this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rathburn
United States
Roseville
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JasonC wrote:
I am really looking forward to this game. It is like 45 orders short of the P500 on GMT's site, almost there. I have played the WW I versions of this system and I am a big fan of the game system. It is very clean, combat is very attritionist, and it really feels like the player is running things, not the scenario or a designer's script. I mean you can plan and the grand tactics you use really drive the outcome.

The basis of the system is a combat system in which the conflicting sides in a local combat have to check quality to see whether they take losses, with the chance modified by the odds in that combat, and the number that have to roll on the stronger side sometimes limited. This has the effect that middling-odds combats just weaken both sides by a similar amount, with the more numerous side spreading that pain over more units, but a similar amount of losses overall, in expectation that is.

There are large portions of military history for which that is a much mroe accurate representation of typical combat outcomes than the "biggest stack wins", "fight lopsided then do it often" system of modern maneuver warfare periods. It is really hard to just fight with local odds and then do it a lot and string that together into a lopsided total kill ratio, when you are wearing out the edge of the men in each brush with the enemy.

Such attrition systems make it more important to employ ranks and reliefs and reserves, to deal with the way each individual formation has limited combat "wind", before it gets so worn down that it is ineffective and vulnerable. Managing combat under those conditions just uses a different set of military skills, and managing them is fun and realistic.

Can't wait to actually get this one...

What's the name of the WWI game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Mark
United States
Citrus Heights
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clash of Giants and Clash of Giants II

Really looking forward to this one as the system is quite excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stalica
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
How does the game system play solitaire?

It will be highly possible for solitaire play as activation of the regiments/brigades is using chit-pull and a variable movement rate.

grunt101st wrote:
Clash of Giants and Clash of Giants II

Really looking forward to this one as the system is quite excellent.

Although I'm biased because I'm part of the crew...I think this iteration will be the best one yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been waiting forever for this title. On the GMT website, I now see it listed as shipping in August or September of 2016. That is an 7-8 month delay from the previously planned early 2016 release. Is something up? Is it just production queue stuff? Any insight from those closer to the process, playtesting or design side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls