7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Policy on reviving zombies and thread-jacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Abraham Pak
msg tools
Just a quick question on what the policy on this forum is in regards to:

Do you post questions with similar topic in an already existing thread? Some forum don't like it and consider it "thread jacking" and stealing the thread away from the OP. Other forum that I've been to encourages this in order to limit the number of similar threads from popping up.

When you have a question that's been covered ages ago, but not recently, do you revive the old thread and post on there? Or do you create a new thread with more or less the same question that was asked years ago? Some hates reviving zombies and others hates new thread with same question (even if popular opinion may have changed within the time period.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Youre screwed either way

Seriously though if you see an old thread and it didnt clear up your question then ask away. If you post a thread thats been beaten to death, ie puerto rico = racist?, you will get redirected to the already established posts. As far as hijacking goes, it happens to me all the time.

Edit: i have no idea what the official policy is, what ive stated is merely from observations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a more interesting question is why do my photos always get denied by geekmod. Discuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the question not already answered in the original thread? If it's the same question, it doesn't need a new thread. If it's different, a new thread would be fine. If it is a more complicated or specific follow on question as an axis ting post, feel free to post it in the original. Though, depending on how people view the site and/or use the subscription system, if you are necro-ing some old thread, people might not notice...

IANAM(oderator), so, just one user's opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maverickmage wrote:
Just a quick question on what the policy on this forum is in regards to:

Do you post questions with similar topic in an already existing thread? Some forum don't like it and consider it "thread jacking" and stealing the thread away from the OP. Other forum that I've been to encourages this in order to limit the number of similar threads from popping up.

When you have a question that's been covered ages ago, but not recently, do you revive the old thread and post on there? Or do you create a new thread with more or less the same question that was asked years ago? Some hates reviving zombies and others hates new thread with same question (even if popular opinion may have changed within the time period.)
The following is only my opinion, but...

The forums are all for discussion.

If you have a related point to make to someone else's post, go for it.

If an old post needs further looking in to, revive it.

If anyone tells you different, they don't know what they are talking about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This came up lat year and one of the moderators stated that posting in old threads for clarification was fine and sometimes preferrable to just creating another thread on the same subject.

De-railing a thread though is a no-no. Moderators can and will issue warnings if it gets out of hand. Slight thread divergence is ok. But totally off the tracks isnt. THEN you should make a new thread.

IE: We are talking about for example Express games and someone diverts the thread to roll-n-move. Or card games. whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pseudo Pserious
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!
badge
I dislike the Canadiens. (The hockey team, that is, not people from Canada in general.)
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, there's an amusing thread from about 2 years ago about this topic.

There's a good discussion about whether or not necromancy should be taboo on the first few pages, followed by some funny and ironic resurrections of the thread later on. Towards the end they started talking about designing a microbadge for thread necromancers.

Subscribe to it and enjoy the fun when someone resurrects it in 2015
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls