Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Effect of Kate's ability on Power Shutdown/Scavenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Roach
United States
California
flag msg tools
Just sent this to FFG for a ruling, but curious what folks here think. Kate's ability reduces the install cost of a program or piece of hardware by 1; power shutdown and scavenge have an effect based on the install cost of programs/hardware.

Do you think that if I install something with a discount, that the discount factors in when either of those cards is played? I kind of hope not, but I guess we'll see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I doubt it just because Netrunner effects don't have memory that spans across turns without an associated token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ibsen
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The install cost is still the same, even when using Kate's ability, you just don't have to pay all of it. So it shouldn't matter when power shutdown comes in to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Her ability reduces the cost to install, but the cost printed on the card remains the same for abilities like Scavenge and Power shut down.

However FFG is the final word of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not, since once it is installed, there is no real memory of that discount. Plus if you installed 2 things, on a turn (1 at discount and 1 not), you would have to track that discount. Messy, messy.

Edit: Wow, triple ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hall

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
For what it's worth, Kate's ability should work with Scavenge (given that it's the first install) because Scavenge reduces the cost of the install by the cost of the sacrificed card and her ability reduces the cost of the first install by 1. There is no rules reason why the two should not interact.

Power Shutdown on the other hand deals with only printed values. THis is due the the "lack of memory" that people have mentioned. So even if Kate's ability fired on Corroder, making it cost 1, the Corp would still need to mill 2 cards, as that is Corroder's cost.

(Edited for clarity)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Roach
United States
California
flag msg tools
Got a response. Looks like y'all got it right.

Quote:
The cost is only reduced while the program is being installed, and does not effect cards like Power Shutdown or Scavenge. Hope that helps,

I'm glad about the answer, but a little bummed that the language on the card is fairly ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oji4life wrote:
For what it's worth, Kate's ability should work with Scavenge (given that it's the first install) because Scavenge reduces the cost of the install by the cost of the sacrificed card and her ability reduces the cost of the first install by 1. There is no rules reason why the two should not interact.

I believe he was asking if you factor in the discount from when you previously installed the program Scavenge is trashing, not the one you're currently installing.

Edit: Which clearly doesn't work, but you already got an official ruling saying as much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls