Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I hated about using dice trays, was that sometimes the dice are obscured by the walls of the dice tray. So you, and other players have to sit up a lean over the table to see the results. Especially important in combat games like X-Wing or Omega Protocol.

So I made my own clear dice tray. Nothing special. Bought a clear acrylic box, and a small sheet a neoprene for the base. The neoprene give some really nice bounce, and cushions the sound.

Now things are easy for everyone to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me I use the dice tray to help buffer the noise from the dice because I have a sleeping baby.

I can see how that could be very useful though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine the dice hitting those plastic walls is noisier than the dice hitting the cardboard walls of a cardboard box lid... is that indeed the case?

We tend to throw the dice away from us, so they end up closer to the far side of the box. Thus visibility is not typically blocked by the wall between us and the dice. Perhaps that's why clear boxes are not more popular?

A couple nights ago we had the box on a chair beside the table (not enough room on the table), so viewing it from above made it even easier to see the dice with no problems of the box wall intervening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure it's not any louder than a normal wooden dice tray. The neoprene softens the sound, and when it hits the walls, it sounds like how you'd expect. Usually I just shake the dice then drop the dice in the tray, and the neoprene gives the dice some nice bounce to really get the dice rolling. Honestly noise is something that I never even thought about until it was mentioned here.

But I can understand it playing at night, and trying to keep noise down you might want to use something different. At first I made a full padded one, that was really quiet, but I disliked that the other players around the table couldn't clearly see my roll results.

When playing Bang! The dice game we just put the box in the middle, and its easy for everyone around to table to see and react to a players roll.

Personally I like the sound of dice being rolled in a tray, or rolling down a dice tower. But that's just me. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is the 'Dice Shield' that's all clear plastic and is meant to be placed on the board/table above the pieces

http://www.diceshield.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dezza wrote:
There is the 'Dice Shield' that's all clear plastic and is meant to be placed on the board/table above the pieces

http://www.diceshield.com/

Weird; that looks bizarrely inconvenient to me...

Even though it's clear plastic, I don't want something like that obscuring my view of the board and pieces under it.

You'd have to repeatedly move the thing to manipulate and move the pieces under it.

(And the occasional mis-thrown dice which miss the box will land on the board...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S.
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of like that Diceshield. We've always got more board and pieces than space to roll in it seems. Shouldn't be too much of a hardship to move the shield out of the way...
Looks like it would only work with certain types of games. Don't want too many tall pieces or figures, as that would render it useless. Neat idea, anyways.

I didn't really notice the extra tall legs...those would make it far more useful to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of making my own like the one pictured above. Have the base material now to find the right clear box. I really should get on this as when we play Catan-like games as the dice sometimes dance across the floor, rest in odd positions on the cards in front of us or send game pieces flying to remote areas of the board. Most of the games we play do not use d4 anyway so leaning over to look should not be a big problem. Also passing the tray at the end of one's turn would be helpful especially when there is non-game chit-chat happening with large groups of "youngin's."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's exactly what we do when we play Catan. The tray is small enough, and easy to pass around the table to hand each player. This prevents the dice from banging into each other and going flying across the table, knocking over settlements, roads, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a dice tray from a wooden box and lined the bottom and sides with sticky-backed felt (plus I put in a foam piece on the bottom, too). Cost $10 for everything at Michael's craft store. I found the info right here on BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SHAWN WHITE
United States
JANESVILLE
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Shut the fuck up
badge
Whatever
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have an oversized, acrylic card box that, I think, was originally intended for wide screen trading cards. I'll have to bust that out next time we game and see if it makes a suitable dice tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manalapan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I make these. I've sold a few, traded a few, and keep two for myself.

Base is felt-lined pine, and I've bent the acrylic around it. About 7 1/2" across, corner to corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duckster wrote:
I make these. I've sold a few, traded a few, and keep two for myself.

Base is felt-lined pine, and I've bent the acrylic around it. About 7 1/2" across, corner to corner.

Really nice! And very original. I used felt at first but now I only use neoprene. It's a little pricier (especially here in Japan, around $9 for a 30cm x 30cm x 2mm sheet) but I like the feel of the fabric side, and the bounce it gives to the dice. Makes it feel more random. Just have to be careful about bouncing them out of the tray!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Paton
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did try 1/16" craft foam for a while, at least in the dice towers I make, but I found the dice did bounce out of the tray, so I switched to felt. It's also quite quiet, which is nice, especially when I'm gaming with a friend while my wife is having a nap. I've never tried neoprene. Same stuff as a mouse pad, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hills
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dice Shield is an awesome idea, but the price is horrable at $80 - $100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duckster wrote:
I've never tried neoprene. Same stuff as a mouse pad, right?

Yeah. Thick stuff is a little too bouncy, but the 2mm seems to be ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think part of it is that the commercially available ones are IMO hugely overpriced considering their function - a little box to toss dice into.

I also think a good number of people probably aren't aware such a thing exists, or if they do don't understand why it'd be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
I think part of it is that the commercially available ones are IMO hugely overpriced considering their function - a little box to toss dice into.

I also think a good number of people probably aren't aware such a thing exists, or if they do don't understand why it'd be helpful.

I thought the one I bought from Amazon was very reasonably priced ($18) for the size and quality.

We use it so much on our kitchen-table family game nights that I'm thinking of buying a second one to keep in the basement game room. I'm always forgetting to grab it when I head to the game room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Cutner
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose being a tightwad meant not spending anything (or nearly) on a dice tray. The old Quality Street tin from Christmas and 2 sheets of self adhesive felt ($2) gave me just what I needed. The plus was that it had a lid that made it great to carry stuff in from place to place. Cheap, functional and durable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lcutner wrote:
I suppose being a tightwad meant not spending anything (or nearly) on a dice tray.

This is one reason I use the cardboard lid from an arbitrary cardboard game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Southgate
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally broke down and made my own tray.

I found this at Hobby Lobby:

Final results:

The top makes a nice dice tray. The bottom is an "extra deep" tray that's perfect for my 4 year old that ends up rolling all his dice off the table 1/2 the time.

I went for "tightwad on a spending spree" and spent about $11 but I effectively got 2 trays out of it and some storage so I consider it money well spent. If I skipped the cork layer on the bottom and just used the felt I could have had it down to ~$8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just use a beer mug (preferably empty...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Noetzel
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:

"I prefer an empty beer mug" is a phrase I've never used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Ford
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rickn99 wrote:
medlinke wrote:

"I prefer an empty beer mug" is a phrase I've never used.

I don't even understand what the phrase means. The individual words make sense, but when they're strung together like that... nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.