Subject: [Deck] Keyhole Resource Denial - Whizzard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Hey all! I've been playing around with a DLR resource denial whizzard deck and bringing it up to speed with the newer cards available. So far it's been going fairly well in the local meta, but I've got some concerns and am definitely trying to tweak it.

At the moment mediums have been replaced by Keyhole (guaranteed imp-like trash and avoids traps). So the goal is to dump agendas, scorches, jacksons, etc, etc in the garbage while keeping the corporation poor.

So far I've won a few games due to Keyhole, a few games due to DLR, and several as a combination stealing agendas by busting into servers.

I'll post the list up and provide a commentary afterwards. Any constructive criticism is much appreciated.

Whizzard: Master Gamer

Event (14)
3 Account Siphon ••••• ••••• ••
2 Deja Vu
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Quality Time •••
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
2 Grimoire
3 Plascrete Carapace

Resource (9)
3 Data Leak Reversal
3 Joshua B.
3 Kati Jones

Icebreaker (6)
2 Corroder
2 Mimic
2 Yog.0

Program (11)
3 Datasucker
2 Djinn
3 Keyhole
3 Parasite

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

Deck Building Thoughts

First of all are the econ cards. I was having a bit of trouble with this as I kept feeling like I didn't have enough. Sure Gamble, Dirty Laundry, and Kati Jones are pretty typical and do fairly well.

Account Siphon is there to deny valuable cash to the corp as well as self-tag myself on my turn for. I would have loved to fit Same Old Thing in here, but couldn't really justify it (besides, Deja Vu can bring it back if needed).

For the longest time I didn't have any way to tutor cards (specifically Keyhole) and was a bit annoyed. I figured a cheap way to do it was using Quality Time to get the cards I need. So far it's been a little hit-or-miss, but not too bad.

Deja Vu, as stated before, is to pull Parasites back and maybe snag an Account Siphon if needed.

As for hardware, I'm running Grimoire. As I don't really need it to make the deck work, I've only got two copies. Honestly it's there for the memory and help parasite eat annoying ice faster. Dyson Mem Chip would probably work better, but I really don't need the link and feel Grimoire is the better fit.

Plascrete is pretty self-explanatory, at some point I'm going for tags to use DLR so I need to guard against Scorch and PCS.

For resources, I have Joshua B. and DLR. DLR mills the corp and denies resources and agendas. Joshua B. gives me more clicks to use DLR and get other work done; it also is another way for me to self-tag. It's been very nice to have on hand.

For programs, I have the usual anarch breakers supported by parasites and datasuckers. It works fairly well, but I have run into some issues with bigger ice. I really would love something like Femme or (though I think knight would work fine too), but am having issues with deck space.

Keyhole replaces medium (I would like both, but on it's own, it's great) and has been amazing!

Djinn is weird. I have Grimoire for memory, but it's nice to host keyhole and a datasucker so I have memory space for parasites. I just added this and haven't quite figured out how well I like it.

Performance

So far the deck has gone 6 wins and 1 loss in the local meta. Usually I can get Joshua B. and DLR setup while hitting servers as normal. I usually wait for a good opportunity to use Joshua B., hit the corp with a siphon, and then mill for 4 credits.

The corp then has to click for credits to trash DLR or Joshua B. and leave R&D open for a Keyhole assault or any of the other servers open for regular attacks.

DLR has milled up to 10-12 cards and noises ability has helped trash other things like Jesus Howard, SanSan, or econ assets.

The trouble I've been having is with big-ice and a bit with Weyland. Usually I can get 2 plascretes up or keep Weyland / NBN poor and doing okayish there. Big Bioroids and other things have really been causing issues.

I haven't been hurting for cash yet, but games have been fairly short. I'm worried about longer running games.

Ideas for Improvement
Djinn is new and probably not needed, though it's been nice to have. In it's place I'm either considering more econ (Daily Casts or Liberated Accounts), some breaker assistance for bigger ice (Knight), or more resource denial (Imp or Vamp).

Daily Casts wouldn't be bad as I don't have to use clicks as on Liberated Accounts so I'd favor that. However I haven't had cash issues yet.

Knight would be great for big ice with 2-3 subroutines. It may also force the corp to trash their own ice which is always a bonus. Problem is the even with Grimoire, this makes memory pretty tight.

Imp would be great, but really only useful on HQ as I have Keyhole for R&D. Whizzard's ability works fine on remotes to trash assets and upgrades. Overall, not that keen on imp....plus it's just more precious memory that's already tight.

Vamp would be a great subsitute to AS provided I have money. Plus it's another way to tag myself on my turn to pull of the DLR combo.

Same Old thing is another consideration, but not as useful in this deck as I want the spare clicks to use DLR before it gets trashed.

Self-Modifying Code could be very nice, but I don't really have any influence to spare (thoughts on this?)

Grimoire may not even be needed. I could probably get away with Djinn alone, but that's a risky move.

And finally.......is Whizzard even worth it? I keep feeling like Reina or Noise would be better. Whizzard falls flat on his face against operation based econ, but the local meta has a decent number of people that love their assets and upgrades.

Even making SanSan and Jackson free to trash is nice.......but with Keyhole, maybe Reina or Noise are superior. Hell I really wouldn't have to change the deck that much.

So, overall thoughts?

EDIT: John Masaroni would also be great to self-tag as I don't need a successful run to tag myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Adecla
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Just wanted to give you a thought about whether or not you should keep Whizzard.

If you ever find yourself hurting for money to utilize for your overall strategy against decks that like to play trashable things, keep Whizzard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find a bit strange that you have 2 copies of each icebreaker....and only 3 quality times to speed draw. How do you get your rig on table fast enough? It seems to me that you are safe against Tag'n'bag decks, but anything with small ETR ice should give you a lot of trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Most games I've played so far, I've either had 0 or 1 breaker out. I usually end the game with only Keyhole and a Corroder or a Mimic. I think only one game I had corroder and mimic out.

In the last 4 games I think I installed maybe 2 or 3 breakers. I haven't felt the need for them. Parasite handled everything I needed it to until I could get the appropriate breaker.

Breakers are crutch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
You should try Knights in this deck. They are awesome.
Also I whould drop djinns and Kati Jones. Armitage and Liberated accounts perform well for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
gozik wrote:
You should try Knights in this deck. They are awesome.
Also I whould drop djinns and Kati Jones. Armitage and Liberated accounts perform well for me.

Pass on Armitage, but a possibility on Liberated. I prefer daily casts as I don't like spending clicks on money generation unless I get something else out of it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
In fact siphon makes enough money so I ussually do not use them a lot until corp plays closed accounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizzard is great if your meta runs lots of assets. Try a Reina deck. She is tons of fun if built right.

Adding in a. Knight or two would certainly help with big ice. Worth a try, especially if you aren't having economic problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any corp with a decent operation economy will be able to survive your 1 account siphon and trash Joshua B./DLR the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
It' s tempo question. Ussually I'm happy if corp wastes 2 clicks and 4 credits on doing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Zebadiah wrote:
Any corp with a decent operation economy will be able to survive your 1 account siphon and trash Joshua B./DLR the next turn.

Well, yeah. That's expected. Usually it's ht Joshua B. then AS / Vamp / fail a Masaroni and then mill for 4.

I fully expect DLR to get trashed the next turn. Maybe Joshua as well with a BABW beanstalk or a good sweeps week.

Even if the corp already has enough cash, two clicks and four credits is a decent tempo hit.

Freelancer is a pain, but I swear I'm one of the few people that actually uses that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Here is a slightly different take on the same deck:

Red Queen's Master Key

Reina Roja: Freedom Fighter (Mala Tempora)

Event (12)
3x Account Siphon (Core Set) ••••• ••••• ••
3x Déjà Vu (Core Set)
3x Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow) •••
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (5)
3x Grimoire (Core Set)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)

Resource (6)
3x Armitage Codebusting (Core Set)
3x Liberated Account (Trace Amount)

Icebreaker (8)
2x Corroder (Core Set)
2x Knight (Mala Tempora)
2x Mimic (Core Set)
2x Yog.0 (Core Set)

Program (14)
3x Datasucker (Core Set)
3x Djinn (Core Set)
3x Keyhole (True Colors)
1x Medium (Core Set)
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus)
3x Parasite (Core Set)

The nice thing about this deck is you kind of just play what you draw. You rarely really need to dig to find something you have to have. It doesn't have your DLR/Milling aspect, but it's fast and always has money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Dropped the Djinns for Knights and performed a little better. Memory is an issue, though. Any suggestions for the deck? Am I trying to do too many things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls