8 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is this cardgame telling the story of the books? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K L
msg tools
Hi!

I really have great fun playing this game, even though I didn't read the books (yet).
So my question is: Does this game (in chronological order of the expansions) tell the story as it is presented in the three books by tolkien?

If so, which "part" of which book is represented by which expansion?

Thank you very much for this information

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The saga expansions tell the story in the books. The Hobbit is finished and the Lord of the Rings just started with The Black Riders.

Everything else is FFG made fiction that predates the events in The Lord of the Rings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Boofus wrote:
The saga expansions tell the story in the books. The Hobbit is finished and the Lord of the Rings just started with The Black Riders.

Everything else is FFG made fiction that predates the events in The Lord of the Rings.

Although a lot of the stories are hinted at (or at times retold) in LotR. There's hardly anything in there, that seems invented just for the heck of it..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
Boofus wrote:

Although a lot of the stories are hinted at (or at times retold) in LotR. There's hardly anything in there, that seems invented just for the heck of it..

Yeah. My understanding is that much of the content was mentioned in appendices or The Silmarillion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
PasiMax wrote:
Boofus wrote:

Yeah. My understanding is that much of the content was mentioned in appendices or The Silmarillion.

Or even indirectly in The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings. Direct stories/plots from the Silmarillion would be a copyright violation b/c FFG doesn't have the rights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd say some of the scenarios come more from Unfinished Tales than the Silmarillion. I don't know the legal status of using UT, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Martin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FFG only has rights to stuff in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (and its appendices). Everything else is off-limits, as those are the only works that Tolkien Enterprises can give the rights to (the rest are owned by the Tolkien estate).

A lot of stuff is at least mentioned briefly, but FFG does create a lot of stuff from thin air more recently (the whole story of the Against the Shadow cycle pretty much), which isn't a bad thing in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Riehl
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In chronological order:

The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill tells the first half of the book The Hobbit.

The Hobbit: On the Doorstep tells the second half of the book The Hobbit.

The core set, and delux expansions and all the cycle packs all take place after the events of the Hobbit and before the Lord of the Rings. While they feature many characters and locations from these books, they are original stories. Some of the stories have striking similarities to the events in the books (the Watcher in the Water, for example, is close to identical to the scene in Lord of the Rings) while some are completely original. As we go on, they are tending towards being more original. They definitely have an eye on the plot progression. So for example, the upcoming delux set is about setting the groundwork for the events in Isenguard which take place in the books.

Black Riders covers the first 6th of the Lord of the Rings books - or to count another way, the first half of the first volume (The Fellowship of the Ring) which is also the first half of the first movie. So there are 5 more saga expansions expected which between them will cover the rest of the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls