5 Posts

World at War: Eisenbach Gap» Forums » General

Subject: Why should I use HE? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to this game series, which is basically my entry point in hex & counter wargaming.

After the first game and reading the rules now a second time I still wonder why I should use HE?
There are of course some units like the Shilka, choppers and some APCs that do not have AP available under some circumstances. Most AFVs, however, are free to choose. And I don't see the point to use an HE attack when I could also use an AP attack with higher firepower AND the ability to actually reduce the target rather than to 'merely' disrupt it.

Or is there something hidden somewhere that I miss, don't understand yet or just overlooked in the rules that makes HE a desirable option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to take a look here:

AP vs HE on light armored vehicles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Disruption is a powerful tool to slow the Soviet advance. Basically a Soviet advancing commander will be forced to abandon these disrupted units in order to achieve the objective (usually time and location based).

Once out of HQ range the units must roll for Command and then Morale to recover from the Disrupt.

Of course infantry are good targets in the open, with no to save roll. Those guys will need to dismount at some point to take the town or objective.

On the flip side disruption works to slow down the rate of fire on units to aid the Soviet rush across typically open ground. Just one unit disrupted and not taking two opportunity fire shots at a your Tanks Regiment could be the difference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
You might want to take a look here:

AP vs HE on light armored vehicles

GREAT!!! Now I have to go reread 1.3.4 and figure out what it was I finally wrapped my head around!

I'll go do that and be back in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Plymale
United States
Huddleston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing about HE is when it lands you get to go "BOOM! BOOM!" as you roll for the attack. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls