Popular Tags: [View All]
Genesyx

Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow gamers,

I'm currently looking for a push your luck-ish dice filler game, and after a quick search came up with these two choices :
-Dungeon Roll (which I'll be playing with the highly suggested -variant) or
-Skyline

My usual gaming group consist of 2, and occasionally 3 players, and I'm looking for a game that would at least offer some meaningful choices (ironic I know, given that these are filler games), a sense of "my choice of actions made a difference".

So any suggestions guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and nice to meet you,
I have not played Skyline so I can not give a valued opinion on this game.
I have however spent countless hours playing Dungeon Roll by Tasty Minstrel Games. This game started out as a filler game and became a game that we play back to back for about an hour each time. There is quite an added element with the character cards as they can be leveled up and given access to greater ability after you earn 5 xp which can usually be done after one Dungeon Delve. I'm amazed at the strategy added by these abilities. There are quite a few options to win the game rather than just luck. There is also an expansion out, one on the way, and an exclusive character and die that can be found in the Kickstarter version. Tasty Minstrel is a good developer, publishing such titles as Belfast and Eminent Domain as well as their current Kickstarter which looks top- notch SCOVILLE. I would definitely pick this up at some time. For less than 20 dollars this is one of the best gaming investments I've made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Games Are About Glory (Dave Refici)
United States
Penfield
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Based on this comment
Quote:
a sense of "my choice of actions made a difference"
Skyline might be a better choice. Dungeon Roll truly is multi-player solitaire. In Skyline, there is an abandoned dice area that's available to a player during his or her turn so you have to be aware of which dice your opponents are looking for. That said, neither really outshines the other for me. I rate both of them a 6.

Update: After reading the variant rules for Dungeon Roll I'd go with that. I'm not sold on the proposed changes, but it sounds a lot like what you're looking for.

You might be interested in either Pickomino or Sushizock im Gockelwok. I rate them a bit higher, but they don't play solo like Dungeon Roll and Skyline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra: The Dice Game is an oft overlooked game that is very good. I like it better than any of my other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know Skyline but I've played Dungeon Roll in Essen and found it to be an utterly plain and uninteresting experience. It adds a lot of mechanics on top of the push-your-luck without adding nearly enough gameplay.

The already suggested Pickomino is far superior to Dungeon Roll IMO. The rules are simple and elegant and the fact that you can steal tokens from your oponents when you hit the number exactly adds a nice additional layer of considerations and rivalry.

Another highly recommendable push your luck game is Shark Attacks!. It improves over the default "do I take what I have or risk another roll to get a bit more" scenario by constantly dangling the prospect of a large bonus in front of your nose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls