18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Varnishing/lacquering paper hexes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mohan Ganesalingam

Cambridge
msg tools
I've printed and cut out a large number of paper hexes for a game I designed. (Paper rather than card, because I have RSI.) It occurred to me that there might be some simple way of varnishing/lacquering the hexes to make them a little stronger... if anyone knows of anything easy to use I would be grateful for a pointer.

(NB I don't want to use anything with a strong smell; this is for a game to play with children.)

Thanks and best wishes,
Mohan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could try applying some white glue evenly to the backs with a brush. This might end up curling the paper; I'm not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if applying white glue would give the finish the OP wants, but a tip to reduce curling is to let the moisture evaporate from the glue a bit.

I spread it out on a glass sheet and wait until it gets really tacky before applying it to anything which might curl or wrinkle.

You get the same effect if you forget to put the top back on the jar/bottle!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
I don't know if applying white glue would give the finish the OP wants

That's why I said apply it to the backs of the tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
enoon wrote:
I don't know if applying white glue would give the finish the OP wants

That's why I said apply it to the backs of the tiles.
I still don't know if it'll give the OP the finish he wants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Mod Podge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohan Ganesalingam

Cambridge
msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions. Mod Podge sounds interesting (from Googling it) -- but it seems to have a strong smell?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
Maybe Mod Podge.

I was just going to suggest this! My wife uses it all the time for different projects and I've used it to preserve jigsaw puzzles before. Works great! Not sure how much of a "sheen" you'll get out of it, but will definitely protect the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:
SPBTooL wrote:
Maybe Mod Podge.

I was just going to suggest this! My wife uses it all the time for different projects and I've used it to preserve jigsaw puzzles before. Works great! Not sure how much of a "sheen" you'll get out of it, but will definitely protect the pieces.

I think there's a matte finish version. The smell's not that strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want heft you can buy some peel and stick floor tile from the hardware store. You can stick the tiles to the sticky side and cut with heavy scissors.

You can also get chip board and spray adhesive to stick the paper to that and you will have traditional feeling tiles.

If you want to protect the surface with the image you can use Krylon Clear Coat. It sprays on and comes in satin, gloss and matte finishes. It stinks when it goes on, but the smell dissipates after a few days.

If you want a nice glossy layer, you can't beat Envirotex, a two part pour on resin. You can get some nice thickness with this. It looks like smooth, clear glass. Applying to hexes might take some dexterity. There's lots of tutorials on how to use the stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neoshmengi wrote:
If you want heft you can buy some peel and stick floor tile from the hardware store. You can stick the tiles to the sticky side and cut with heavy scissors.

You can also get card stock and spray adhesive to stick the paper to that and you will have traditional feeling tiles.
Perhaps, but ...
burbly wrote:
(Paper rather than card, because I have RSI.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Falk
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Mod Podge. Definitely get the matte finish, the glossy is a little tacky, even after years of use. There is a smell (one I LOVE, don't judge me ) but only when it's wet. Also a good option with kids, as it's water-based and non-toxic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
neoshmengi wrote:

You can also get card stock and spray adhesive to stick the paper to that and you will have traditional feeling tiles.
Perhaps, but ...
burbly wrote:
(Paper rather than card, because I have RSI.)

If you finish my reply you'll see that I also list two non thick options.

The tile suggestion is for completeness for others who are interested in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burbly wrote:
RSI

Out of interest, have you tried a rotary cutter? It's a different hold to a knife, so there's the chance that it may not give you so much trouble - and you shouldn't press hard with one anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohan Ganesalingam

Cambridge
msg tools
Mod Podge ordered! Thanks, all.

Rotary cutter: no, never tried one. What kind of surfaces can you use them on w/o scratching the surface?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burbly wrote:

Rotary cutter: no, never tried one. What kind of surfaces can you use them on w/o scratching the surface?

I use a self-healing cutting mat with mine - more or less anything you'd be happy to use a knife on is fair game, though.

If you know anyone who does sewing/quilting, they're quite popular with that crowd, someone may have one you can try out to see if you get on with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: self-sticking floor tiles.
I've used these to make prototypes. Do NOT use a rotary cutter on these. The blades are expensive and one swipe will ruin it for anything else. Stick the paper on the sticky side, lining them up to share cut lines and making it so you can make long straight cuts with a box cutter and metal ruler. One light swipe on the paper side and you can snap/bend it on cut edge, then I freehand swipe on the back in the crotch of the fold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straight up self-sticking laminating sheets can help. I've done that with some paper pieces I've printed. You can get them in different thicknesses as well. You can laminate one side or both sides to tune in the thickness you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls