Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I am considering including a house rule (I don't like them usually) and I wanted to know the opinion of the hive mind.

One thing that strikes me as complicated is the way communication works when on the same card, on different covers and without a VOF.

I understand that if fire is coming at your area communication with people on the house next door might be complicated. But if the area is secured? Should I put everyone under the same cover just to make them able to communicate?

My house rule would be to allow communication directly between No Cover and Cover on the same card, as long as there is no VOF (or pending fire mission) on the card.

I am also thinking about the possibility of also allowing communication between covers when there is no VOF.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the communication rules make things even more complex than they already are.
Especially if the units are under different generic cover rather than in a structure such as a church, they should be able to communicate by hand signals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The communication rules add the dilemma of overstacking for acting faster versus better cover, especially against counterattacks. (Since counterattacks are rare, I usually overstack my covers.)

If you wish to maintain the balance of the game as written, you will have to make the counterattacks a bit more dangerous to compensate for your better cover, or reduce the turn limit to compensate your better communication. I am not sure how much would be necessary, perhaps a -1 to 50% of the counterattack VOFs or a max cap for the draw of 2 commands on the last turn of a scenario? It won't mattr much but could make a small difference.

Anyway, it is a solo game and cvertainly encourages you to find house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
... including a house rule (I don't like them usually) and I wanted to know the opinion of the hive mind.

...Thoughts?

I love this game, and pull it out every couple of months just to keep the sequence of play fresh in my mind. I regularly go through the forums here to better understand the rules, and see how others deal with issues related to game-play.

With that being said; and 139 (!) pages of forum articles, I think we can safely assume that ten different, veteran players placed side by side, would play the game ten slightly different ways.

And that's cool too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
oldbrownsfan wrote:
abendoso wrote:
... including a house rule (I don't like them usually) and I wanted to know the opinion of the hive mind.

...Thoughts?

I love this game, and pull it out every couple of months just to keep the sequence of play fresh in my mind. I regularly go through the forums here to better understand the rules, and see how others deal with issues related to game-play.

With that being said; and 139 (!) pages of forum articles, I think we can safely assume that ten different, veteran players placed side by side, would play the game ten slightly different ways.

And that's cool too.

I had to quote it for truth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that pyrotechnical signals are typically viewable on a card even with units under different cover. Also, the Korean and Vietnam missions make this less of a problem than in the WWII scenarios because of superior communications methods.

Even though trying to give orders to units in cover is a pain I believe it would be a different game with rules modifications such as you suggest as the game's point is mostly about the difficulties of command and control of an infantry company. Part of the risk/ reward of getting your troops into a bunch of nice cover - it takes longer to get them going again and may also represent the difficulty in getting soldiers pulled out of cover and back into danger again. As I understand it, usually once a solder is in cover, he doesn't tend to want to leave that cover... Makes sense to me as I know I wouldn't want to get up and start moving again either for several reasons...

Instead of modifying the rules maybe try the Korean or Vietnam missions instead to see if their communications work better? I am assuming you probably have just played the WWII scenarios but I am unsure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the intent Antonio, but actually don't mind in practice how the game works now. Because the scale/size of the terrain varies, I can't assume that even nearby folks on the same card could communicate knowing that there might be a hellish volume of fire, noise, etc on an adjacent card disrupting any attempt to communicate.

Though "My house rule would be to allow communication directly between No Cover and Cover on the same card, as long as there is no VOF (or pending fire mission) on the card" seems like a reasonable house tweak. If you wanted to play that, feel free to mod. I'm constantly tinkering with rules as written for almost all my wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Noonespecial wrote:
Don't forget that pyrotechnical signals are typically viewable on a card even with units under different cover. Also, the Korean and Vietnam missions make this less of a problem than in the WWII scenarios because of superior communications methods.

Even though trying to give orders to units in cover is a pain I believe it would be a different game with rules modifications such as you suggest as the game's point is mostly about the difficulties of command and control of an infantry company. Part of the risk/ reward of getting your troops into a bunch of nice cover - it takes longer to get them going again and may also represent the difficulty in getting soldiers pulled out of cover and back into danger again. As I understand it, usually once a solder is in cover, he doesn't tend to want to leave that cover... Makes sense to me as I know I wouldn't want to get up and start moving again either for several reasons...

Instead of modifying the rules maybe try the Korean or Vietnam missions instead to see if their communications work better? I am assuming you probably have just played the WWII scenarios but I am unsure.

Actually, I am currently playing Nam!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Noonespecial wrote:

Um. Ok, that answers that then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abendoso wrote:
Noonespecial wrote:

Doesn't Nam already allow it (squad personal radios)? I've considered this house rule, but ruled it out (because of what has been said above).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls