Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Lagasse
United States
Derry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I joined this website a little while back, I've been seriously boardgaming for less than a year now, but have amassed about 50 games thus far. I am in love with the hobby and have also converted my girlfriend to loving board games. We find it improves our communication and relationship, and heck, it's just plain fun.

The question I have for you all is; what game helped you to enter the hobby, but you have grown out of? Either it's mechanics or theme, etc. Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game was one of the first board games I bought, and I definitely enjoyed it at the time, but I have found other games that bring me more enjoyment because of different strategies and tactics as well as different themes. LNOE almost feels plain jane to me in some respects now.

That's not to say it's not a good game. In my opinion, it's decent, not something I'd bust out all the time, but for certain situations (i.e., if my friends a big zombie fan); but my preference is for other games, and I'd be more likely to bring out Carcassonne or Pandemic to introduce someone to board games. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldnt call Last Night on Earth a gateway game, and i still think its one of the best co-ops (with overlord) around and still THE definitive zombie game. But yeah, its not the type of game id play constantly anyway.

Settlers got me into the hobby, still love it. Its still one of the best gateway games, as is ticket to ride.

Ive never played Carcassonne, it just dosent appeal to me personally.

I guess what im trying to say is, i dont "grow out" of games. If i like them, i like them and my tastes are varied. I like everything from Ameritrash to euro, short or long games, complicated to simple.

The thing im maybe growing tired of is expansions. More and more im finding that i often prefer base games to games with expansions. Often i find expansions make a game lose focus or add to many fiddly rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious ones, Catan and Carcassonne - the latter probably because we got one expansion too many (the one with the fairy). Also Citadels, Ticket to Ride (though we still play this one with our parents, as it's easy to remember how to play even after quite a while).

Maybe not a gateway, but Puerto Rico wasn't nearly as much fun when we played it relatively recently, as I remember it being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I liked Catan, I just find myself wanting either more or less.

For example, Catan is playable with my 7 year old and wife, but my kiddo likes Takenoko more. Faster game, cute theme: winner winner!

When I get to choose the family game, 7 Wonders is one of my go to's. The kiddo knows how to play and it plays in half the time and I find equally enjoyable (actually more).

When I play with my regular playgroup, I like to bust out heavier Euro's: Tzolkin or Terra Mystica please!

Catan is a classic and despite the flogging it gets by some users, it's a wonderful replacement for Monopoly or any other "family classics"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the previous posters, Catan, Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride.

Don't get me wrong I'll still play them, but they are at the bottom of my to play list. Not because they are bad games, but I've played them to the degree where they pretty much play the same for me now (they are solved in as much as the randomness in them allows them to be).

I'm sure some of the newer gateways will eventually be added to this list, the only factor that jumps these ones ahead is how long I've been playing them for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip-Bo yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion

7 Wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride was my gateway game, and I rarely play it now, but if I ever find myself pulling it out, I am reminded of how good it is. It's easy to forget that just because something is called a "gateway game" doesn't mean it can't be very engaging, tense, and cutthroat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest one for me is Dominion.

I'm not sure if this is because we played it thousands of times and burnt out of it or if we've grown out of it. Then again Dominion is one of the few games you can play thousands of times. I'll always remember it fondly, but I'll rarely pull it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been years since I've felt like playing Advanced Squad Leader
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
War on Terror and Zombies!!!

Were two games that brought me back into the hobby - can't really imagine playing either of them now.

Carcassonne has also been relegated to the bench. It only ever gets played when my lover and I are on holiday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of them. The only "gateway games" that I really play anymore are with my kids. If I'm playing a game with gamers then I want it to make my brain hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know if I'd say that I've "grown out of" any gateway games, but I would say that I'd prefer to play the more complex games that are out there.

If someone wants to play one of the gateway games that I have, I'd happily play it with them but most of the gateway games in my collection are there now to play with my kids when they get older or if we have some "non-gamers" over and want to break something out that they might enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I answered the gateway game, it would be a little odd, as the first game I purchased was Caylus, followed by Tikal and Antike. Euros were new and exotic to me when I started playing. Descent was my first more americanized game followed by Fury of Dracula. I have never played a live game of settlers. So, with that being said, here are games that I have grown tired of even they are still good games:

Descent
Citadels
Base Alhambra
Base Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Dominion
Thunderstone
7 wonders

Of my three Gateway games, I still enjoy all of them. Although action point games like Tikal don't hit the table much because you can never predict when someone with serious AP will be at a game knight and it can kill one of these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still doing gateway games because I haven't gotten through the gateway games I bought early on that got shelved in favor of the harder stuff. Case in point: still haven't played Stone Age. Or Carcassone. I would like to at least learn them so I can leave them behind!

It's not easy to get to play some of these older classics. For example, I just learned how to play Dominion -- there's one where the gaming group says, "whaatt? you never played Dominion!?" No, because you guys think it's a gateway game and are bored with it now, so it never gets to the table!

On topic, though, I will say I am over Settlers probably for the rest of my life. TTR is still ok, but I don't rush to get it to the table. I agree, it's a really good game. It's popularity is well deserved, even if it isn't as sophisticated as some others in the cult of the new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb Larson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't burn out on as many gateway games as other people, in part because my group seemed to move directly from Catan into heavier games, only later coming back to Carcassone and TTR. I am pretty done with Catan (I don't even think I own a copy anymore), so it's the kind of game I play only when other people suggest it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say I've grown out of any gateway games, in fact, I'll still happily play Monopoly, Scrabble etc. with my family and friends if that's what they want to play. If anything, I find gateway games like Ticket To Ride, Carcassonne and Catan are dependable old favourites, always guaranteed a good time after the latest Hotness ends up disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy ryan
United States
Jamestown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started out with Agricolaof all things. My fiancee loved it and I watched Board Games with Scott several times to get everything right. We played our hearts out.

Second game was Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game. I figured Zombies would appeal to my love.. WRONG! She hates, hates, hates this game! I, on the other hand, am a big fan of all Flying Frog games so we have agreed to disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am from Taiwan.
badge
This is my wife.
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to have 1 play per $1 spent on my games so the ones that reached the goal come out a lot less than the newer games that I've got, but that doesn't mean I won't play them or grew out of them. I will still play them when the mood/time constrain/group is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B.
United States
Groton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started out with RPG's and Warhammer 40k. I picked up a copy of Munchkin at a video game convention, just to kill time at the hotel. I thought it was the greatest game ever! I was getting friends that had zero interest in gaming to play and enjoy it. Then I joined a local boardgame group and discovered SOOO many wonderful board games. Now my copy of Munchkin is off in the lower corner of a bookshelf covered in dust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree that a game like ticket to ride you might get tired or want to play heavier games. But as many have stated it is a great game to come back because it is an easy game to remember how to play. If you have different maps they play different.

It is alot harder to play a game such as Tzolkin after a long while because you have to rereead the rules and might even forget a rule or two when replaying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My tastes don't change that much usually. This goes for food, music and board games too. Once I like something I'll usually keep on liking it though the intensitivy of the liking does vary. So no, I haven't outgrown any of my gateway games although I must admit that I haven't actually played Arkham Horror in a long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play Dominion much these days... mostly on PC or Android vs. AI. It's quicker this way, more convenient, and frees up f2f time for other board games

TtR I've grown out of that I don't even play on my Ipod Touch anymore, let alone IRL, and I bought those apps and their IAP pretty much day one, that's how sick I got of them. I will play the later maps (Marklin, Asia, India, Africa, the one after that) for better variety, but otherwise, plenty of other games to go with

Settlers... I enjoyed this that I got in dozens of IRL games, and 300+ online via Sea3d. Like with TtR, I'll try out new spinoffs like Settlers Of Nurnberg, or Star Trek Catan, but there's just more to do with luck of the dice than I'd care to take in. Plus, I suck at trading/negotiation games anyways. I was moreso in it for the building and resources part

The Resistance gets played a lot, so I'm finding myself playing it no more than once a week, as opposed to some venues that play up to 4 games back to back, with each game taking up to an hour!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers I used to love and now mainly use as a gateway only.

TTR I wanted to like, but have just never had any fun playing. I understand why most popular games are popular, but not this one.

I started with the Hunters and Gatherers version of Carcassonne. I still don't mind playing it, but there is many newer heavier games that I want to play first.

MTG and RFTG were my gateway games and I still enjoy them immensely.

My newest go-to gateways are King of Tokyo and Chicago Express(maybe not technically gateway, but it sure is easy to teach and appeases all types of gamers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Department store games: Quelf, Moods, Apples to Apples. I will take them out upon a non-gamer's request. Mexican Train felt like a joke last time I played it. Shame too, I used to love that game. Playing Monopoly or Risk seems like a weird idea as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |