fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Or, as someone commented:
"it'll be like Hitler and Stalin vs Poland as the customer..."

Reuters wrote:
Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable for $45.2 billion

Comcast Corp said on Thursday it would buy Time Warner Cable Inc for $45.2 billion in an all-stock deal that combines the two largest U.S. cable operators.

The friendly takeover comes as a surprise after months of public pursuit of Time Warner Cable by smaller rival Charter Communications Inc, and immediately raised questions as to whether it would pass the scrutiny of anti-trust regulators.

Comcast will pay $158.82 per share, which is roughly what Time Warner Cable demanded from Charter.

The combined company would divest 3 million subscribers, about a quarter of Time Warner's 12 million customers. Together with Comcast's 22 million video subscribers, the roughly 30 million total would represent just under 30 percent of the U.S. pay television video market.

The new cable giant would tower over its closest video competitor, DirecTV, which has about 20 million video customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Or, as someone commented:
"it'll be like Hitler and Stalin vs Poland as the customer..."

Reuters wrote:
Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable for $45.2 billion

Comcast Corp said on Thursday it would buy Time Warner Cable Inc for $45.2 billion in an all-stock deal that combines the two largest U.S. cable operators.

The friendly takeover comes as a surprise after months of public pursuit of Time Warner Cable by smaller rival Charter Communications Inc, and immediately raised questions as to whether it would pass the scrutiny of anti-trust regulators.

Comcast will pay $158.82 per share, which is roughly what Time Warner Cable demanded from Charter.

The combined company would divest 3 million subscribers, about a quarter of Time Warner's 12 million customers. Together with Comcast's 22 million video subscribers, the roughly 30 million total would represent just under 30 percent of the U.S. pay television video market.

The new cable giant would tower over its closest video competitor, DirecTV, which has about 20 million video customers.

I'm wondering if this is even legal.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and Time Warner Cable sucks eggs.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is gona suck. TWC bought out Insight, my cable provider for years, last year. My sons live in a Comcast area and they hate them.

If I get a letter or email that starts with, "In order to better serve you,...", I'll know it's going down the tubes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Cooper
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What? There are still people who $PAY$ for cable television? I thought that is what the internet is for.

cue Avenue Q reference in 3 2 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been without cable for a few years now. I use Century Link for cable internet, so I still get access to Netflix and Hulu via my Xbox and Amazon Prime via my laptop. All of the TV shows I would want to watch (like Sherlock or anything on Comedy Central) can be watched through the broadcasters' websites. All in all, I don't miss it.

Except...

Comcast owns sports. One used to be able to watch local teams at the very least by using rabbit ears, but even college sports has been packaged up into the Big Ten Network or the Pac 12 Network. ESPN gobbled up all of the best games in any sport. Any temptation I've had over the past few years of returning to a cable provider has been directly linked to a desire to watch sports. But, much like the idea of slinking back to Facebook so I can keep up with friends who only do social media that way, I consider the perverse extent to which these companies have dominated their respective markets, and the contempt with which they hold their customers, and the angry old man rises up inside me and takes a ball bat to those temptations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Cooper
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
But, much like the idea of slinking back to Facebook so I can keep up with friends who only do social media that way, I consider the perverse extent to which these companies have dominated their respective markets, and the contempt with which they hold their customers, and the angry old man rises up inside me and takes a ball bat to those temptations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
I have been without cable for a few years now. I use Century Link for cable internet, so I still get access to Netflix and Hulu via my Xbox and Amazon Prime via my laptop. All of the TV shows I would want to watch (like Sherlock or anything on Comedy Central) can be watched through the broadcasters' websites. All in all, I don't miss it.

Centurylink is DSL/fiber here. I'm paying for 40 Mbps through them.

I have never had a TV or internet subscription with a cable company. I always preferred either DirecTV or Dish Network for TV and DSL/fiber is more reliable than cable internet is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
slowcorner wrote:
Except... sports.
Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
More monopolies. Made even worse by the fact these are also the internet providers for many, not just cable TV.

Personally if I were running DOJ and the FTC, I would not allow this transaction to go thru. But nobody's asking me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
Except... sports.
Exactly.

Same for me. I just go to the games live. Or for road games, I go to a bar or just listen to the radio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, if I was running the DOJ and/or FTC, I would probably be swayed by truckloads of $$$. Just sayin'.

In some ways, I think that yes, it's evil, and no way should they let it happen. In others, I think each cable company is a monopoly in it's coverage area anyway, so the effect on consumers doesn't seem like it would be much.

But, I'm sure the effect will be in the pull they have with the content they buy, do the can tell various channels to lower prices or take a flying leap, etc. I suspect those things would be bad for us (and lower prices in content I know will result in better profits, not lower cable bills).

I would certainly be happy for at least internet to be a government utility - so far, that's worked out pretty well for the municipalities that have set it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
Except... sports.
Exactly.

If we leave, they come to us.

They need us more than we need them.

Rise up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Cooper
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:

I would certainly be happy for at least internet to be a government utility - so far, that's worked out pretty well for the municipalities that have set it up.

Except in states where Big Cable lobbied government to outlaw municipalities that try to set up and share their own cable/internet or even limit free market competition!

http://savencbb.wordpress.com/
http://www.fastcompany.com/1273423/time-warners-antics-wilso...
http://roisforyou.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/state-legislators...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
Except... sports.
Exactly.
If we leave, they come to us.

They need us more than we need them.

Rise up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:

Except...

Comcast owns sports. One used to be able to watch local teams at the very least by using rabbit ears, but even college sports has been packaged up into the Big Ten Network or the Pac 12 Network. ESPN gobbled up all of the best games in any sport. Any temptation I've had over the past few years of returning to a cable provider has been directly linked to a desire to watch sports. But, much like the idea of slinking back to Facebook so I can keep up with friends who only do social media that way, I consider the perverse extent to which these companies have dominated their respective markets, and the contempt with which they hold their customers, and the angry old man rises up inside me and takes a ball bat to those temptations.

ditto to much of the above.

many of the options plus an antenna will make up some of the difference.
to add to the above, my mom has a digital cable package (bunches of channels etc) so much of it is fluff during off peak hours. You pay so much for hours of unwatchable programs.
Sports is an area that they have us over a barrel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:

And is being viciously fought by the politicians (both parties, this is a nonpartisan screed) who get $$$ from Time Warner and Comcast and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Kansas City we have a variety of cable providers and the situation gives a perfect example of why this is a bad idea for consumers. Three years ago my wife and I lived on the west side of the city. We had our choice of Time Warner, Comcast or Surewest (a small cable company that only serves KC and Sacramento). We generally got a good price for Internet and Cable.

Then we moved to the east side of town where we had one choice only and that was Comcast. They had a monopoly in this area and as such they charged us something like 50% more for the same services. Plus the DVRs which were available on the west side of town were not available on the east. We got DVRs with much smaller hard drives that could only hold 12 hours of television programs.

Needless to say Comcast is hated here and I mean seriously hated. Their customer service is notoriously bad. Mind you it's now coming back to haunt them because Google Fiber is now spreading across the city and people are switching to it over Comcast by the truck loads. My wife and I will be saying goodbye and good riddance to Comcast in March. As a matter of fact as I write this Google Fiber is installing the main trunk line for this area the next street over. Can't wait. Counting the days now.

This is why Comcast and Time Warner should not be allowed to merge. On the west side of town you have competition and thus better equipment offered and lower prices. Here it's just Comcast and you get the old DVRs which aren't even offered to the folks where there is competition and pay a premium price to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dowdy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have high hopes for the FTC blocking this. After they allowed Sirius and XM to merge when those were the only two companies in their industry, it's hard to imagine what would be monopolistic enough for them to block on antitrust grounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Don't have cable, but do have AT&T for Internet. In this area we have the choice between AT&T and Comcast. I'm thankful that we at least have a choice, but they're not great choices. Wish we had more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
This was all set up by deregulation about 10 years ago. I'd explain, but it'd get the thread sent to RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the recent court ruling on net neutrality this seems like a very bad thing indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
You can certainly try.
mbmbmb
I don't get the big deal. Everyone is already being robbed by cable companies. Maybe this will open their eyes. The old model of buying bundled content through the cable company is archaic and overpriced.

The cable companies already have monopolies. I mean right now, TWC is my only option if I wanted to buy it (or DirecTV if I want satellite). It's not like there was competition at all with Cox or Comcast or whomever. They have geographic monopolies.

I currently liberally purchase shows I want to watch a la carte via iTunes and still saved about $800 last year by not having a cable contract. I still have to do some hunting and gathering for some things (some sports, award shows... that's about it, I guess).

I see all the concerns as everyone saying, the guy who mugs me every week just killed the other town mugger.

Actually, that's not a great analogy because the cable companies are not taking money from everyone. Everyone is giving their money to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do they not see the subscriber model changing?

if I was Time Warner I'd be giggling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls