Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia
flag msg tools
designer
Esse quam videri.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! My name is Stefan and I have couple of designs I want to test-run. These are all games that I already tested with groups at my local gaming store and small events, but were never released to the general public (that is to say where I'm not always present to clarify some issue with the rules). I guess the time has come for them to meet the best audience possible, here at the geek. Please, be harsh!

So, this is Yūgen. Yūgen is one of my games I consider practically finished, but still in need of some stress-testing before the final release: We have played it for a long time, but in (relatively) small testing group. I'm a bit concerned about parts of the concept that worked very well virtually from the start and are now almost unchanged - there may be another, better balance point that I haven't tried. However, I don't want to sway your first opinions with those issues, so for now the questions are only two:
E Are the rules well explained?
E Do you enjoy playing Yūgen?

Please, report any issues with the rules, as well as any general anxiety caused
Yūgen should be fast, semi-casual game for two players, with each game about 20 to 30 minutes long.

Yūgen 1.3 Full PnP package (High-Res, ~47MB file)
Yūgen 1.3 Rules only (Low-Res, ~3 MB file)
Yūgen 1.3 Board and tiles only (Low-Res, ~8 MB file)
Yūgen 1.3 Rules only (Google Docs, download for non-ugly)

The print-and-play package contains one A3 high resolution image of the board (with two alternative overlapping images if you use A4 printing), one A4 image with all the tiles (I recommend gluing that one on thicker surface before cutting) and 3-pages PDF file with all the rules needed. You'll also need three small interchangeable figures and a bag or a flat surface for shuffling the tiles during the game.

edit:low-res links added.
edit:all links updated to version 1.3. Yūgen now has a BGG entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vonamarak wrote:
Yugen PnP Package 1.2

The print-and-play package contains one A3 high resolution image of the board (with two alternative overlapping images if you use A4 printing), one A4 image with all the tiles (I recommend gluing that one on thicker surface before cutting) and 3-pages PDF file with all the rules needed. You'll also need three small interchangeable figures and a bag or a flat surface for shuffling the tiles during the game.
?

You need to warn people that this is a 50Mb file. Also, I suggest you provide a simple Google docs version, or a low-res PDF, of the rules. Many of us like to skim those before committing to the "full PnP experience"!

Edit: Looking at the tiles, I am fairly sure you can make a low-res version of these two that will be more than acceptable for playtesting. (Ditto for the board.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Karamanov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia
flag msg tools
designer
Esse quam videri.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems only logical.
Thank you, We'll have the low-res rules here shortly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider me a volunteer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vonamarak wrote:
Seems only logical.
Thank you, We'll have the low-res rules here shortly
Cool See above edit on a "ditto" for the board & tiles...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here are my initial reactions, my thoughts for the rule book, and some thoughts from the first few play tests. It's too much to put in a post but you should easily be able to grab the PDF from this dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1m8kn3w4ydunw65/Yugen%20Playtest%2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Karamanov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia
flag msg tools
designer
Esse quam videri.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Thank you for the input, Ron. It's great for me to see in such detail how someone whom I didn't explain the concept personally to experiences the rules and the game flow. I will try to address everything you said here

Yugen is a Japanese aesthetics concept, generally concerning the elusive and profound beauty in nature. I consider establishing this with a definition on the title page of the final rules and (maybe) this will be as close as I'll get to a “theme”. I want it to be vague, as the name suggest.

I don’t know why the tiffs behaved this way either – I'll try several printings as soon as possible and change the files if needed. As for the symbols – both Water and Fire sides being triangular – I have two reasons for keeping them that way. First – I wanted to keep the design space, eventually using quarter circle and squares for special tiles in future expansions. Secondly, I still wonder if I should change the bland triangular shape with a simple symbol of the element in that same shape (left-triangle stylized flame, right-triangle stylized wave, big triangular stylized cloud, blank side with vague stone plates). Actually, let me know what you think of the idea if you have the time.

Most text clarifications I can easily add to the 1.3 version. Thanks again!

I have not calculated all the exact probabilities on an empty or half-used board, but leaving an open push pointing towards the opponent's side should always be the riskier move, because the Air sides also have the innate protection from pulls and you'll badly need that one Earth side to "plus" it, even later. I changed the balance of Earth/Air sides couple of times – in the first drafts, there were more Earth sides and walling up was too easy. The present Earth/Air ratio is one of the things I want to ask the testers about later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacock
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The colors looked right on my monitor. It could be just my printer but it usually works right. I don't know anything about color spaces; Adobe versus others. Who knows...

I like the idea of the stylized element symbols. Even just a broader color swatch on them would help barring printer issues.

I'll keep an eye out for earth / air balance. I can see where it would make a big difference. I'll take Yugen to our next game night and see if we can get some more plays into it. Not sure what your testing window is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Karamanov
Bulgaria
Sofia
Sofia
flag msg tools
designer
Esse quam videri.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!

There is no deadline - Right now I have no plans of publishing Yugen in cardboard and will keep the PnP versions here updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls