Subject: Grenzers close combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip Makówka
Poland
Lublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolebook says that Grenzers hits on 3-6. Is it true? They weren't so good I suppose. In this rules summary(by Mr McDougall) Grenzers hits only on 5-6. Where is the truth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was asked a similar question. He is what I wrote in refrence to C&C; Napoleonics.

Pandurs and Grenzers

Pandurs were skirmishing units feared for their ferocity. They mostly used pistols, swords, and daggers. As such they were good in close combat but not at shooting. In my game the scale is such to where they are less useful for they are not made for pitched battles. Their morale is low, they cannot shoot as well as line troops, and unlike the Highlanders there are not enough of them. I see their close combat attack as being more like them attacking your skirmish line or hitting an isolated regiment as opposed to a full blooded charge. They were also feared as fighters, so there is that aspect of their close combat abilities. I wanted them to be good at this, but that it would cost 2 CAP to use them effectively, since they are poorly disciplined and unwieldy.

Grenzers in the Napoleonic Wars were good fighters, but often misused by the Austrians. They were also a dedicated unit of skirmishers and sharpshooters, and no longer used as irregulars in the Pandur or old Grenzer tradition of the Seven Years War. I do question their good shooting rating in C&C Napoleonics but I also have not played the game all that much to really comment further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S McDougall
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Filip

No idea why I've put Grenzers hit on only 5-6: rules are quite clear on this point (hit on 3-6) and I'll change the summary accordingly. Must have had a slight brain-fade.

Thanks for the spot

Cheers
Steven
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls