Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Hero Party Poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Tondl
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last polls on the forum are a bit outdated and I was curious about the overall impression of the new heroes and classes compared to the old ones. I included every available hero and class including Nerekhall even though it is no in stores yet, but it will soon be.
In addition, since there are updates in coming expansions like Oath of the Outcast on some first edition heroes, I would suggest to vote for the latest update of the hero.

Poll: Favorite Warrior
1. Who is your favorite Warrior?
Orkell the Swift
Pathfinder Durik
Reynhart the Worthy
Syndrael
Grisban the Thirsty
Corbin
Eliam
Hugo the Glorious
Karnon
Krutzbeck
Laughin Buldar
Lord Hawthorne
Mordrog
Nanok of the Blade
Nara the Fang
One Fist
Sir Valadir
Steelhorns
Tahlia
Trenloe the Strong
Varikas the Dead
2. Who is your favorite Healer?
Rendiel
Serena
Augur Grisom
Ulma Grimstone
Avric Albright
Ashrian
Brother Gherinn
Brother Glyr
Elder Mok
Ispher
Jonas the Kind
Okaluk and Rakash
Sahla
Aurim
Andira Runehand
3. Who is your favorite Mage?
Ravaella Lightfoot
Dezra the Vile
High Mage Quellen
Leoric of the Book
Widow Tarha
Challara
Jaes the Exile
Landrec the Wise
Lyssa
Mad Carthos
Master Thorn
Shiver
Truthseer Kel
Zyla
Astarra
4. Who is your favorite Scout?
Tinashi the Wanderer
Raythen
Roganna the Shade
Logan Lashley
Tomble Burrowell
Jain Fairwood
Bogran the Shadow
Grey Ker
Kirga
Laurel of Bloodwood
Lindel
Red Scorpion
Ronan of the Wild
Silhouette
Tatianna
Tetherys
Tobin Farslayer
Vyrah the Falconer
Arvel Worldwalker
      70 answers
Poll created by Pathor

Poll
1. What is your favorite Warrior class?
Skirmisher
Beastmaster
Champion
Berserker
Knight
2. What is your favorite Healer class?
Bard
Prophet
Apothecary
Disciple
Spiritspeaker
3. What is your favorite Mage class?
Conjurer
Hexer
Geomancer
Runemaster
Necromancer
4. What is your favorite Scout class?
Shadow Walker
Stalker
Treasure Hunter
Wildlander
Thief
      70 answers
Poll created by Pathor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T.
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might also be a good idea to poll people about which expansions, if any, they own or have knowledge of. Otherwise you may get a bias towards the bog standard heroes and classes simply because people don't know of the alternatives.

Edit: typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
5hrike wrote:
Might also be a good idea to poll people about which expansions, if any, they own or have knowledge of. Otherwise you may get a bias towards the bog standard heroes and classes simply because people don't know of the alternatives.

Edit: typos
I was thinking the same thing.

Though, the base-game Warriors are the only characters that suck.

For Scout/Mage/Healer, at least 1 of the base game characters are virtually in everyone's Top 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Are you asking about who/what our favorites are, or who/what we think are the most powerful? They're not necessarily the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tondl
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My intention was that you complete the poll thinking what party you would choose if you could make the decision right now. I know that not everybody has every expansion but it still gives out some information. I was also interested what heroes and classes were generally considered as weak, for instance the Stalker and Ulma Grimstone seem to get no votes ( and rightfully so, IMHO ).
Thanks for all the answers! You can look up heroes and classes you do not own on www.descentinthedark.com and Serena and Raythen are on the FFG site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My take on the classes.

Warrior classes: I chose Berserker but all are useful. I'd like to try Grisban as a Beastmaster. I could bump him up to 20 Health and since it's a low fatigue class, could make up for his lack of speed with fatigue moves.

Healer classes: I think Apothecary/Disciple are the best. Apothecary is a great damage dealer while Disciple is a true healer. Prophet is pretty good too with the ability to "heal" fatigue as well as damage. Spiritseeker is the obvious last choice.

Mage classes: Runemaster I think is easily the best, Quellen+Runeplate+Ring of Power+Act II Rune Weapon is maybe the single most powerful hero in the game. Necromancer is a not too distant second. Geomancer and Hexer, meh.

Scout classes: Treasure Hunter/Thief I believe fill the scout role the best, that is to gather loot and achieve non-combat objectives. Wildlander, well, I'd rather take a warrior class, especially the new Skirmisher class. Stalker is meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
msg tools
mb
I think people are REALLY underestimating Geomancer here. The campaign I'm currently overlording in includes Landric as a Geomancer, and it is INSANE. I get the feeling people are looking at the cards, saying "meh" and never actually playing the class; in the hands of a top-tier player it is MUCH stronger than Runemaster. (Especially for a slow-as-dirt mage like Landric.) For 1 stamina, his normal attacks get +5 range, and his feat ALWAYS procs, without a single piece of equipment or any skills other than his basic skill. With a few skills you can guarantee three surges per attack, which is insane, and there have been adventures where the setup has allowed him to stay in safety at the entrance and send his stones out to do the dirty work with no risk to himself.

I think the question the OP posed later on - which heroes would you choose if playing now - is a much more complicated one than which was posted, "favorites". For example, Silhouette polled even with Logan Lashley. But Logan is much, MUCH easier to place in a party. If you're playing a treasure hunter and don't mind being a cheeseball, you're choosing Logan, period end. When would you choose Silhouette? She's clearly MASSIVELY inferior to Logan as a Treasure Hunter (Or Thief, but who cares, now that Treasure Hunter exists,) nobody likes Stalker, and if you're playing Wildlander there are several heroes that make great archers, and she's not one of them. There's value to throwing her search abilities onto a Wildlander, I guess, but again, it's a much harder fit. (I think Sir Hugo is in the reverse position - I agree with the poll that he's not a favorite, but he is REALLY easy to place in a party. Need some Real Ultimate Tankiness? Sir Hugo as a Knight. Done.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Flumontanus
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sau gut! merci für die aktuelle Umfrage kiss
Greetz from Munich
 Thumb up