Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Where to start with veterans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Lippert
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey fellow gamers

I would like to ask for a recommendation for our first game this Saturday.
For background info it is important to know that I did rent this game for the weekend to determine if it fits for us. We are all veteran Descent 1. Edition player s with lots of experience under our belt.

We usually play around 5-7 hours per evening and I am not sure to play base, some of the epic variants or head right into campaign mode.
(If it we like it, I will purchase it so we could continue with the campaign)

What would you think?
Shall we do epic with a specific scenario (and which one)? Or shall we just start with the campaign and go as far as we can get?

Thanks for your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just start a campaign. That's the best way to get a sense of the progression, and even though you are First Edition veterans, it will be good to play First Blood so you all get a feel for what is different in Second Edition (because there is A LOT that is different).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion: just start playing the campaign. Second edition is very different from first edition. It will take some time for your group to recalibrate. The main thing to remember is to focus on the objective for each encounter. Killing your opponent is often not the best course of action to take - which is a big difference from first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign, First Blood, Nuff said
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, do a campaign! With that amount of time you should be able to play the intro (First Blood) and two scenarios. (I'm jealous!)

BTW, don't worry about the intro being easier for the heroes. Neither side gets an extra reward for winning and the scenarios are more balanced between heroes and overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lippert
Germany
flag msg tools

Thank you guys for the clear statement - exactly what I wanted
We will right head into first blood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lippert
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey guys

For any interested players I will just give a short follow up of our first Descent 2nd Edition gameplay.

Like suggested we started with campaign mode and were able to play First Blood, A fat goblin and Scene 1 from Castle Daerion on that evening.

I started with a quick rules overview and changes between 1st and 2nd edition.
So first blood was warming up and took about 45 minutes. I just managed to escape two goblins and the minion ettin fell quite quick. But it was a fun match at all.

In ‘A fat goblin’ I just managed to escape with one of the quest items. That sounds boring and not very balanced – totally wrong.
It was a close race and either the heroes or I have seen going a clear breakthrough slipping through the hands several times – very cool.

In scene 2 I had ultra luck with picking Frederik at the very beginning.
Unfortunately my cave spiders fell almost all in turn 1 of the heroes, just leaving the elite monster with 2 health. Also my dragons did not manage to last very long (bad luck in rolling defense) and I saw my chances dropping to zero.
In that moment I drew dash and saw a chance to make a gap and flee with 2 standing goblins and Splig – what a surprise for the heroes!
They got me with the last hit because I never managed to get an attack redirected to surrounding goblins.
Anyway this was a close and intense one too.
Yes I did lose but it was a hell of a fun ride.

Scene 1 of castle daerion was also highly interesting. In the end I managed to kill 3 villagers before they lighted up all signal fires. I manged to distract them a few times from the objectives hahha

In general we did like the game. The quests tend to be more fun than in Descent 1 and due to the shortened length it just happens more on one gaming session.
And, at least at our group, quests have not been as fast as expected so very well suited for us.

Line of sight was a little bit weird if you come from descent 1 but we had no situation where it felt wrong.

That’s a little bit different with movement. Shrinking large monsters to pass around a small hallway or around corners? It did not broke the game but was some kind of funny.
What we did not like at all was the movement around corners. I am pretty sure it is because of what we are used to due to first edition.
However, if it does not break the game we may house rule it to the old version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls