Subject: Which do you prefer: American or Hong Kong OS? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly new to Mahjong but have become a bit obsessive about it since receiving a rather nice set as a Christmas present from my mother-in-law, who plays American (NMJL) Mah Jongg exclusively. Since then, I've played a few live rounds of American Mah Jongg with friends plus a few on the computer and then went on to learn Hong Kong Old Style (HKOS) and have played a few games that way as well, but exclusively online.

My question is to those of you who have played quite a bit of both styles, American and HKOS. Of the two, which do you prefer, i.e. if you had to choose just one version to play from now on, which would it be of the two?

I have a game night coming up and want to introduce Mahjong, and am waffling between the two. So, maybe this is a slightly different question: which of the two do you think makes for a better experience to the Mahjong virgin, American or HKOS?

Please note that I am only asking about these two styles. Don't bother responding with a Riichi or Chinese Official answer. I just have not yet been able to wrap my head around these styles. Even though Riichi looks very interesting, I can't get over the completely different set of vocabulary it uses just after finally understanding chows, pungs, and kongs!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.