Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
badge
What a productive day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like a few suggestions for some games that would fit into the categories I have. I already have some ideas, I thought I would ask here incase there might be something I've missed and would be worth a look.

I'm relatively new to board gaming, but I've managed to get my girlfriend and a couple of other friends into it as well. In terms of complexity we're comfortable with 7 Wonders and Cosmic Encounter so anything around that level (or even a step up) would be considered.

First up, I would like to add a co-operative game to my collection. I know Pandemic is the usual go-to suggestion, but I've had my eye instead on Flash Point: Fire Rescue. I've tried Pandemic and the theme didn't really grab me (I didn't get much of a feeling of tension or drama from it), but everything I've read about Flash Point makes me want it more.

Secondly I'm thinking of something ideal for 2 players that's quick to set-up that the girlfriend and I can play. I was thinking about Carcassone for this (and it can accomodate more players) or Lost Cities.

Finally is a game suitable as an after-dinner game. Something light on rules, plays quickly and suitable for my "we don't really like board games" parents. They can (just about) cope with The Resistance: Avalon but find it really enjoyable, so something similar would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor is my favourite co-op I have tried.

Carcassonne, lost cities, Ra the dice game,agricola all creatures big and small for 2 player games.

Love Letter or Augustus for after dinner quickie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For your co-op, look at these:

Ghost Stories - Hard, but truly unique in the category.
Hanabi - Quick and easy, but still fun.
Gears of War: The Board Game - Dice fest.

For a quick, 2p game:
(First of all, forget about Lost Cities. It's pure luck-of-the-draw, IMO.)

Battle Line
Innovation
Carcassonne is best with 2 players, IMO.

After-Dinner Special

I've had success getting my mom--who doesn't like to "build things"--with China. It's a card game that scores with area-control mechanics on a map of ancient China. It plays in about 20 minutes.
Dixit is another good idea. It's more of a fun activity that invokes creativity and good laughs. The artwork alone makes for an entertaining evening, without feeling gamey at all.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

+1 Battle Line

The theme has been shoehorned into the game, so don't let that deter you. Women who aren't typically into nerdy things really seem to enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.