Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in about a month there will be a small "Game Festival" happening in my area. Right now the organizers are accepting events. Id love to do something with Legendary. The problem I have is that I only have 1 base set (like most I assume) so is it even possible to run a kind of tournament or should I just set up to do some Demos? I have nothing for prize support as well. If I do demos what would be the best way to handle it. Do I set up a game thats already in progress or do should I just use the initial setup in the rulebook? Any tips or suggestions are welcome. I need to confirm what Im doing ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
When I became introduced to Legendary, it was at a con where someone just ran a game with some people. As an introduction. It had all the expansions and was randomly chosen (so ended up being really hard and something we didn't beat) but it was a nice introduction to the possibilities of the game.

It would probably be best just to run some demos with people. It could be a relatively quick game, with an easy scheme, and powerful heroes. The intro set-up is probably best.

IMHO.

Edit: Your intent is to generate interest in the game, and hopefully gain more players in your area, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intent is purely to gain interest in the game. It would cost nothing to participate no matter how I run it. Demos are most likely the best way to handle this event. So running through a full game is better than running a timed event?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
Hmm. I'm not sure. Since a lot of the game depends on building your deck and figuring out how the cards works with each other, I would think a timed event might not have the same impact. I would be afraid the people wouldn't get to see how their deck grows in power over time. Of course, establishing a pre-made hand/deck ahead of time would solve that problem.

Then again, I don't think I've ever participated in a timed event (unless you count a 4-hour time slot "timed") to demonstrate/be introduced to a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just looking to gain interest, I'd go for a demo with pre-picked heroes/scheme/mastermind. Make it simple and fun. I know that at a festival/con if I didn't know the game I wouldn't participate in a tournament, but I would be willing to try a game demo.

If you want a little more personalization, you might let the players choose their heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls