Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Love the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded a player aid to the file area. It's organized around desired end results, rather than the turn sequence (e.g., how do I get more shares?). It's here:

How Do I Do Things in Wildcatters?

I think that organizational approach is helpful in a game like this, where there are lots of interconnected actions and two types of currency flowing around. (I did something similar for Power Struggle.)

If you're interested, take a look. I would greatly appreciate getting feedback on any errors I've made, so I can uploaded a corrected file.

I've already spotted three mistakes, which I'll correct in the next version of the file:

(1) I forgot to enter the number of shares that constitute the minimum bid for a wildcatter token. Oops.

(2) I said that full refineries get emptied at the end of each round. Based on clarifications here in the rules forum, I should have said that full refineries are emptied after each player turn.

(3) I said that players can build in the area shown on their chosen card and in white continents. I should have said that they can only build in ONE white continent per turn.

Anything else?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Love the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just spotted another mistake. I had misunderstood the VP awarded for wildcatter chips. I didn't realize that they were cumulative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're going to be playing our first game of WC tomorrow. Any chance at a revision before then?

Either way, thanks for this and I really appreciate the effort you guys go through to make player aides! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Worth mentioning that a way to lose shares (and the only way to lose shares of companies other than your own) is that when you buy something for cash, you can substitute 3 shares of any mixture of any kinds for each dollar.

Also probably worth mentioning that the only time you spend money is on your own turn. This seems to be helpful for new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Love the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
eapeas wrote:
We're going to be playing our first game of WC tomorrow. Any chance at a revision before then?

Either way, thanks for this and I really appreciate the effort you guys go through to make player aides! thumbsup

I doubt I'll have a revised version before tomorrow. I want to give a little time for people to suggest changes before uploading another draft. (File submissions are moderated, and I don't want to over-burden moderators with a lot of incremental revisions.)

I'm glad it will be helpful, but I mostly did this for myself! After reading the rules I kept feeling insecure that I really understood how everything was connected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Love the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Worth mentioning that a way to lose shares (and the only way to lose shares of companies other than your own) is that when you buy something for cash, you can substitute 3 shares of any mixture of any kinds for each dollar.

Also probably also worth mentioning that the only time you spend money is on your own turn. This seems to be helpful for new players.

I had completely forgotten about substituting shares for money. This is especially interesting because I thought it was odd that there was no way to ever spend shares from other companies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbes wrote:
I had completely forgotten about substituting shares for money. This is especially interesting because I thought it was odd that there was no way to ever spend shares from other companies.

Honestly, people should do this more often. I've seen lots of games where people struggle to pay for actions despite being in a distant third or fourth place on shares of a given color (or, similarly, a distant first place).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chally wrote:
Hobbes wrote:

Honestly, people should do this more often. I've seen lots of games where people struggle to pay for actions despite being in a distant third or fourth place on shares of a given color (or, similarly, a distant first place).

I haven't played enough to be certain, but I was optimistic about my strategy of trading in a huge number of shares for money and then buying lots of early infrastructure with it. Optimistic until I got crushed miserably.

But have not yet been clever enough to give up on that approach. Even though 3 shares for $1 is on the face of it incredibly expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a strategy that can be very helpful if done at the right time in the right location! :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbes wrote:
eapeas wrote:

I doubt I'll have a revised version before tomorrow. I want to give a little time for people to suggest changes before uploading another draft. (File submissions are moderated, and I don't want to over-burden moderators with a lot of incremental revisions.)

I'm glad it will be helpful, but I mostly did this for myself! After reading the rules I kept feeling insecure that I really understood how everything was connected.

Look at you, being reasonable

Totally understand and even if not this week, I appreciate the effort. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Love the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 1.1 is now posted. How's that for reasonable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbes wrote:

You rock.

We actually got our first game in last night...fantastic! But new players on Saturday, so that's going to help them a bunch. Thanks again! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Love the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had hoped to play this weekend, but my fourth can't make it (and I don't want my first play to be with 3). So we're going to try God's Playground instead.

surprise

Fortunately other folks have already helped digest that rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbes wrote:
I have 2 sessions planned for late February. I am considering to make an illustrated player aid (in fact, it was started for a while) but thanks to your "How do you do things", this will make my contribution easier.

If you guys are interested by proof reading, let me know.

eapeas wrote:

We actually got our first game in last night...fantastic! But new players on Saturday, so that's going to help them a bunch. Thanks again! thumbsup
How did you manage to explain the rules ? What was the feedback of the new players ? Did they get into it easily ? I am afraid that this is a game that it is not easy to explain given all the interrelated interests and the turn structure that is not crystal clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:

How did you manage to explain the rules ? What was the feedback of the new players ? Did they get into it easily ? I am afraid that this is a game that it is not easy to explain given all the interrelated interests and the turn structure that is not crystal clear to me.

I started out by explaining that the goal of the game was VPs and how the continents were separated into 2 areas each w/ 7 spots for wells/pump jacks. The game is 7 rounds and we'll have a scoring round after the 5th round and at the end of the game. 2 currencies in the game: cash and stocks. You only spend cash on your turn, but stocks on your turn and other players turn.

Then I went thru the steps of a turn, using the player aid that came w/ the game (the 4 thick cards). Only then did I go thru the initial setup and every thing clicked pretty well for everyone.

It was actually quite fluid and everyone got it pretty quickly. Just explain the iconography on the player aides as you go thru each step.

If they're gamers, they'll get it pretty quickly.

The first game will go pretty slowly (we took 3 hours w/ setup and rules explanation and only made it thru round 5 and called it, as recommended on the back of the player aid)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Love the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds pretty good. I was also intending to start by talking about the main ways to score, so my group would have context for the operational stuff.

One thing I'm planning to emphasize strongly: don't run too low in your own shares. You are *required* to pay shares when others deliver oil to your refineries. If you can't pay you have to take a loan, which is brutal.

That is actually the point that prompted me to write the "how do I do stuff" summary. After I finished reading the rules, I was wondering, how in the hell do I get more of my own shares? Is it really just from emptying refineries? (Answer: not quite, but almost.) I plan to emphasize that too. I don't want players to "run out of gas" half way through the game because they didn't understand how to keep their share supply liquid. That would not be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbes wrote:
That sounds pretty good. I was also intending to start by talking about the main ways to score, so my group would have context for the operational stuff.

One thing I'm planning to emphasize strongly: don't run too low in your own shares. You are *required* to pay shares when others deliver oil to your refineries. If you can't pay you have to take a loan, which is brutal.

That is actually the point that prompted me to write the "how do I do stuff" summary. After I finished reading the rules, I was wondering, how in the hell do I get more of my own shares? Is it really just from emptying refineries? (Answer: not quite, but almost.) I plan to emphasize that too. I don't want players to "run out of gas" half way through the game because they didn't understand how to keep their share supply liquid. That would not be fun.

Actually that is a great idea. A couple of us were grossly low on our own shares and had to take loans. That hurts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be too scared to take one loan...once you start taking more, then one should start getting concerned...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this helpful. Would be nice to see one for the new rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls