Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else not getting the compatibility pack for the fact that Montreal and Toronto is all mixed up? I know it may sound silly but for it to be compatible with the old 1st edition board it should have Toronto...not Montreal otherwise its just the new deck you get in the 2nd edition and nothing about it is compatible.

I would like to have the new roles but thats about all I am wanting out of the new deck and that doesnt justify spending $10 for it.

Since I have both 1st edition Pandemic and OTB I would need 2 compatibility packs.

I think for now I will stick with my first edition and until the compatibility packs are true compatibility packs and include toronto then I wont be moving on to any other Pandemic expansions such as In the Lab.

Sorry for venting but I wanted to get others thoughts I dont mind the new art or the fact the game got a facelift but I dont want to buy the 2nd edition again but would like my game to work correctly with the 1st edition once I get the compatibility packs...I can see my gaming groups face now when I'm like...Oh that Montreal card puts cubes in Toronto because they are the same place and I bought me a new pack of cards to make my game better...yuk

I mean if they are going to sell the cards for compatibility they should sell the new board as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alderdust wrote:
I mean if they are going to sell the cards for compatibility they should sell the new board as well.
Maybe that's why they're called "replacement" card packs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Alderdust wrote:

I understand they replace the old cards but they aren't compatible with the old board...so really they aren't compatibility packs as advertised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alderdust wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Alderdust wrote:

I understand they replace the old cards but they aren't compatible with the old board...so really they aren't compatibility packs as advertised.
You miss my point.

If you look at the listings for them on the zman website, they don't mention compatibility at all.

They're just called replacement packs.

Make of that what you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok then replacement decks will cause me to not buy any more of their stuff. Is that better?

I got this from the Pandemic Facebook Page they called them compatibility decks here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy some opaque-backed card sleeves for the player cards and you'll be able to play In The Lab no problem. If you love Pandemic, then you should definitely get ITL, even if you don't want to shell out $10 for the replacement cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats always a solution. Does ITL come with the new Roles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alderdust wrote:
Ok then replacement decks will cause me to not buy any more of their stuff. Is that better?
Makes no difference to me what you do.

And, I know they've been referred to as 'compatibility packs', but my point is that they're not.

They also don't include the pawns for the new roles, for example.

Or purple plastic cubes.

I don't know, but I suspect that they call them replacement cards on the website because of these issues.

Sadly the truth is if you want to avoid these problems the only way is to buy the new version(s) of the set(s) you already own.

Oh, and, I'm not 100% certain, but I think if you own the old base game and old On The Brink and just buy In The Lab, you'll still be missing a role or two (but some roles are reprinted in ITL so I may be wrong).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got these printed double-sided on cardstock and laminated at my Friendly Local Office Supply Store. All Role Cards

It's all the roles from the new version and On the Brink. Print them all and ditch the originals. (I mean, not really, but you can use these in place of them.) They even give you the two new roles in all six colors, so you can have a card to match the color you're using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snowden27 wrote:
I got these printed double-sided on cardstock and laminated at my Friendly Local Office Supply Store. All Role Cards

It's all the roles from the new version and On the Brink. Print them all and ditch the originals. (I mean, not really, but you can use these in place of them.) They even give you the two new roles in all six colors, so you can have a card to match the color you're using.

I have never had anything printed at a print shop. What would be the price range of 24 cards that are deck of playing card quality? Which I think is like 110 lbs card stock, I could be wrong on that though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What would be the price range of 24 cards that are deck of playing card quality? Which I think is like 110 lbs card stock, I could be wrong on that though.

I don't remember exactly, but it was less than $10. Because these just sit on the table, it doesn't really matter how durable they are. I think I got 65-lb and medium thickness laminate. They're quite thick, not bendable at all. If you're talking about a different deck that you are actually going to play with like regular cards, I would go a thinner laminate, or card sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snowden27 wrote:
Quote:
What would be the price range of 24 cards that are deck of playing card quality? Which I think is like 110 lbs card stock, I could be wrong on that though.

I don't remember exactly, but it was less than $10. Because these just sit on the table, it doesn't really matter how durable they are. I think I got 65-lb and medium thickness laminate. They're quite thick, not bendable at all. If you're talking about a different deck that you are actually going to play with like regular cards, I would go a thinner laminate, or card sleeves.

No they would just be sitting on the table as role cards I think the 65 lb and medium thickness laminate sounds fine to me. Did you have them round the corners? or keep them square?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to round the corners, but the art gets pretty close. I still might, because I think it would help the laminate stay stuck as well. I have a couple that are peeling, just at the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I should clarify. They printed them in full-color, double-sided and laminated them. I did all the cutting. I imagine you could probably pay them to do that, but I have a good-quality cutter and I know how to use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My work has a cutter so I dont see why I couldn't use that. I'm not sure how good of quality it is but it seems to cut well enough I hope. I did not have a way to round the corners I may have to check my wife's scrap booking stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If she calls herself a scrapbooker, she probably has a corner rounder. That's where I dug mine out from!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have original base game & on the brink.

Bought In The Lab and resleeved my cards & haven't looked back.

The new lab stuff is such a great expansion it's worth the effort of a few opaque sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alderdust wrote:
Is anyone else not getting the compatibility pack for the fact that Montreal and Toronto is all mixed up?
To actually answer your question. Yes. I am in the same boat, and I am sure there are others too. I would have bought both "compatibility" or "replacement" packs (it doesn't really matter what they call them) since I have the original Pandemic and Pandemic: On the Brink, but I haven't because of the Montreal and Toronto issue. I haven't bought Pandemic: In the Lab either, because I don't have the decks.

I am sure there are many who do feel this way, and many who were/are diappointed in how Z-Man Games, Inc. handled this.

But many others don't mind, and find ways around it as mentioned, like with card sleeves.

So it is up to your personal choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls