Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southwest

Subject: San Antonio Area Game Stores rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are in San Antonio for a convention this weekend and I'm looking for a good game store to drop into and pick up some things. Right now we're staying in the Quarry Market area but I'm willing to drive up to 10-15 if there's something within range. Any suggestions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm from about 45 minutes north in San Marcos, but used to frequent SA before I became more of an Austin regular. Dragon's Lair: San Antonio is great, Gamelot is pretty decent, Heroes and Fantasies also has a couple different locations. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but there may be newer stores that I am not aware of.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steinhauser
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon's Lair is by far the best for boardgames, they have the largest selection of games in San Antonio. Gamelot is not decent anymore. Heroes & Fantasies has a few boardgames, but really is an all encompassing collectibles store (Magic, comics, sports cards, etc.).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Worlds on San Pedro is a great place for miniatures, and their boardgame selection has gotten better in recent times, but Dragon's Lair is the best store in town.

for Wargames there is only one store which is Dibbles. They deal in models, trains, wargames and miniatures, with a small amount of board games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneart69 wrote:
Alien Worlds on San Pedro is a great place for miniatures, and their boardgame selection has gotten better in recent times, but Dragon's Lair is the best store in town.

for Wargames there is only one store which is Dibbles. They deal in models, trains, wargames and miniatures, with a small amount of board games.
Dibbles is still open? Wow. That's cool.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steinhauser
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobby4th wrote:
stoneart69 wrote:
Alien Worlds on San Pedro is a great place for miniatures, and their boardgame selection has gotten better in recent times, but Dragon's Lair is the best store in town.

for Wargames there is only one store which is Dibbles. They deal in models, trains, wargames and miniatures, with a small amount of board games.
Dibbles is still open? Wow. That's cool.

I haven't been in there in more than 25 years. I thought that store was so great as a kid. My grandparents lived just a few blocks away from there and we would pass by Dibble's every time we went to their house.

There was an article in the San Antonio Express News about the store a couple of years ago.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I make my way out to Dibble's every other month or so. They carry a lot of used games. They aren't always the place to get the new hotness, but sometimes they'll surprise you and have something that is out of stock everywhere else. They had King of Tokyo between printings, and Alien Frontiers when it was selling for 3x the MSRP. They also have a pretty solid selection of old school RPGs

Their strong suit is war games. Their GMT games stock is second to none, and their shelves are littered with old Avalon Hill war games. The owner also runs an eBay store and has an extensive personal collection of war games. I inquired about Wooden Ships & Iron Men, which was not in stock, and he sold me his personal copy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dibbles is cool, I try to make it out there 3 or 4 times a year, I'm glad others share a liking for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great tips. I actually visited THREE stores today and picked up some missing Force Packs for the Star Wars LCG.

Dragon's Lair: Really good board game selection and spacious store. This one was nice to browse.

Alien Worlds: A little cramped for my liking - big focus on overall collectibles but a respectable board game selection. My chief complaint here is that they were just crammed on the book shelves where RPGs go, some of them covering books and such. On top of that, the ones on the top shelf were subjected to a very bright light that had clearly washed out some of the colors on the boxes. Other games were crammed into slots on gaming table supports. I think the store would still feel cluttered even if it had 50% more square footage - just a LOT of stuff crammed into one store.

Dribbles: I'm going to be honest - and feel free to judge if you need to - I drove past but did not stop in Dribbles. Initially, I almost missed it. Had I not slowed down to notice the open sign, I'd not have thought it was even still operational. Even still, I opted to drive on. I'm just a fat white guy from the Dallas suburbs but I was a little nervous to park and go inside. For being around as long as people are saying, it must have a solid local following and I support it all the way.

Thanks again for the tips. If anyone can think of anymore I should check out, particularly on the north or northeast side of town (on my way back home Saturday) I'm still looking for a few things.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Thanks for all the great tips. I actually visited THREE stores today and picked up some missing Force Packs for the Star Wars LCG.

Dragon's Lair: Really good board game selection and spacious store. This one was nice to browse.

Alien Worlds: A little cramped for my liking - big focus on overall collectibles but a respectable board game selection. My chief complaint here is that they were just crammed on the book shelves where RPGs go, some of them covering books and such. On top of that, the ones on the top shelf were subjected to a very bright light that had clearly washed out some of the colors on the boxes. Other games were crammed into slots on gaming table supports. I think the store would still feel cluttered even if it had 50% more square footage - just a LOT of stuff crammed into one store.

Dribbles: I'm going to be honest - and feel free to judge if you need to - I drove past but did not stop in Dribbles. Initially, I almost missed it. Had I not slowed down to notice the open sign, I'd not have thought it was even still operational. Even still, I opted to drive on. I'm just a fat white guy from the Dallas suburbs but I was a little nervous to park and go inside. For being around as long as people are saying, it must have a solid local following and I support it all the way.

Thanks again for the tips. If anyone can think of anymore I should check out, particularly on the north or northeast side of town (on my way back home Saturday) I'm still looking for a few things.

Dragons Lair actually owns the space next door too. They use it for open gaming. It's nice. It's definitely the jewel of San Antonio. And their Austin location is literally 3x the size! If you are ever in Austin. It's a must visit.

Lol. Scared of Dibbles? It's primarily a train and model shop. Gaming is a secondary market for them. They make their money on model trains. Just a bunch of fat middle aged white guys in there. And one lady.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You gotta watch us fat white guys, we are a dangerous lot!

Glad you enjoyed your visit, if you're ever in the Austin area, I second Dragon's Lair Austin, as its enormous, and I volunteer as a judge there as well, so yeah, I'm a bit biased!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steinhauser
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Dribbles: I'm going to be honest - and feel free to judge if you need to - I drove past but did not stop in Dribbles. Initially, I almost missed it. Had I not slowed down to notice the open sign, I'd not have thought it was even still operational. Even still, I opted to drive on. I'm just a fat white guy from the Dallas suburbs but I was a little nervous to park and go inside. For being around as long as people are saying, it must have a solid local following and I support it all the way.

Dibbles is definitely not in the best neighborhood anymore, but there are still some very expensive houses over there as well. Also, Koffee Kup, next door to Dibbles', seems to always have at least one police car parked outside of it at all times.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Weapon wrote:
You gotta watch us fat white guys, we are a dangerous lot!

Glad you enjoyed your visit, if you're ever in the Austin area, I second Dragon's Lair Austin, as its enormous, and I volunteer as a judge there as well, so yeah, I'm a bit biased!

I may have to talk the wife into letting me stop there on the way home.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Weapon wrote:
You gotta watch us fat white guys, we are a dangerous lot!

Glad you enjoyed your visit, if you're ever in the Austin area, I second Dragon's Lair Austin, as its enormous, and I volunteer as a judge there as well, so yeah, I'm a bit biased!

I may have to talk the wife into letting me stop there on the way home.

If you have the ability to stop by Austin for game stores it's definitely worth it. I'm a pretty recent addition to the Austin area (1.5 years or so) and Austin has a pretty crazy amount of tabletop gaming stores.

I'd recommend hitting Dragon's Lair and Great Hall Games as those are "the big two." There are several others that are worth going to as well but if you have a limited amount of time those are the first you should stop by.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to stop at Dragon's Lair and it was quite nice. Very clean, well kept, nice staff and some cool items like the prints. My personal FLGS is Madness Games and Comics in Plano so its hard for other stores to measure up, but Dragon's Lair in Austin was pretty damn good.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls