Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Wargames» Forums » AWOL

Subject: A semi-newb, please don't bite.... question about the PC Total War series rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just trying to find my way in this wargaming world. I am too busy at the moment to ever think about playing monster multi-session wargames

However, I love me these games that should earn nods of recognition

Thunderbolt Apache Leader (ok, controversial but gets a lot of love from me)
D-Day at Omaha Beach (proudly on the shelf)
1775: Rebellion (very light, but I'll hold my stance on this in Tiannamen Square if I needed to)
Commands & Colors: Napoleonics (Again controversial but it does have terrain, formations, heck, it has quite a few charts!)
Navajo Wars (debatable?)

I understand what a wargame is. I understand what a wargame is NOT (Polis: Fight for the Hegemony, while at first glance looks like a wargame or a hybrid, I would argue is not in the slightest....unless you'd consider it as the economics and resource supply side of war. Historical but not a simulation in the slightest).

Please, PLEASE don't start a debate on this. I know it's a touchy subject and I know many of you with vast experience see me as a know it all johnnycomelately, loudly shooting off my mouth. I am open to learning more but NOT THROUGH THIS THREAD.

Anyhow, I am a huge fan of the Total War, particularly Empire: Total War with the vanilla darthmod. I love the scope and time period of this game (remember 1775?)

For those of you who don't know, the Total War series are a hybrid turn-based/Real Time grand strategy series where you have a campaign map and the battle maps.

The campaign map is a 4X affair with supply, exploration, conquering settlements and growing them, etc. Your armies are abstracted into one soldier. Screenshot:

But the battles..... those are glorious. While realtime, in single player you get to pause, slow down, or speed up. You have different infantrys, cavalrys, artillerys. There is terrain, formations. The units all fight one another mostly realistically and there are HUNDREDS of them in any one battle. There is flanking, morale (including routing), all sorts of things. The infantry can switch from gunfire to melee, they can get exhausted, etc. There is nothing cooler than ordering a squad(?) of units to run to an area and get into a certain formation, which they then proceed to run as a disorganized bunch, get to the area, and somehow end up in the formation you described (line, column, mixture, etc).

screenshots:

I love Empire for the scope but I think the general consensus are that Total War: Shogun 2 and Rome: Total War (not the recently released Rome II) are the best.

So, any of you boardgame grognards played this and felt it scratched your itch? I'm not trying to promote this game or anything. Rather, I'd like to hear it discussed from a tabletop wargamers' perspective, even if it's dismissed as bunk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Shogun (1) TW, Medieval TW, Rome TW, Napoleon TW and Shogun 2 TW.

Rome is great fun. Althoght at times it feels like you're managing your cities and family too much, instead of waging war.
Shogun 2 is my favorite, so far.
I thought I would love Napoleon, but somehow it doesn't have the same attraction. Still don't know why.

I've been told to stay away from Empire, as Napoleon and Shogun 2 are both better. So no experience with that one, I just listened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The main complaints I've heard about Empire are technical issues: Bad AI, game crashing, etc.

Using the Darthmod from Day 1 of purchase, I've had NONE of these issues. Look into it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Of all those mentioned above I liked 'Shogun 2' best..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have put the most time into Empire, but I also have Shogun 2 and Rome 2. Most of my time in Empire has been without mods and I haven't really noticed many issues that people complain about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Alejandro Gomez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I own all the series and enjoyed everyone, but i have to say that Rome 1 and Shogun 2 are the best of all and the only ones that you can play really well without any mods.

The other ones, in particulary Empire, needs a mod to play properly.

The battles with hundreds of samurais in Shogun 2 are really beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, Empire is my favorite and Nap is right behind it. Ship battles are wonderful. Even just the turn based strategy is fun without playing out the battles. Love the time period, some of the maps have battles in the states before the revolution at the colonies.

Don't worry about the biting, you will find most boardgamers are also heavy pc gamers. There are many hex games on pc that also scratch the itch like a board game does and you don't have to worry about the setup and storage during the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
I loved some Shogun Total War back in the day. Just had to watch out for the Monk Rush though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Of all those mentioned above I liked 'Shogun 2' best..

As do I. Yeeeeahhhh. Who's the master?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.