Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for the solitaire game state that "To win a public card, you must exhaust as many elders as the Era that you are in, or based on the position of your letter on the public card.." It also goes on to say "Any climate change, volcanic eruptions, or diseases associated [with] the public cards are played as usual."

My basic question is what if you do not have any or enough Elders to pay for the public card?

I'm assuming that you cannot "win" it if you cannot pay for it with Elders and therefore cannot put in your pile. So my real question is do you still have to play out the climate change, volcanic eruptions and diseases associated with it? Or do you ignore those since you technically discarded the card?

Thanks,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Williams
United States
Gahanna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1: Originally I played solitaire with the public cards as an open deck where I could 'choose' which card to draw. But this is my current understanding...

The public cards are a separate deck to randomly draw.
1. Each time you advance a technology, you automatically draw a public card.
2. If you draw a public card (in a regular game or solitaire); the person drawing it triggers the disease/volcano/climate change.
3. Afterwards, if you have (an) elder(s), you could pay for the card based on age/position of your letter.

Question 2: The other thing I wondered is if you draw a 'barbiarn raid' on the discarded card, does it count, or only the one you keep. I'm guessing both count.

Question 3: Where are the continental borders in your games?
Quote:
4) Anytime a player tries to move to another continent, the player must a roll a die to see if the move is successful. After you move your unit and roll a die, you compare your die roll to your level on the metallurgy track.
Definitely North South America, Australia are separate, but do you count water crossings from Africa to Europe? Do you also count land crossings? Do land bridges count?
I've played that any land crossings and land bridges are 'free'; but water zone crossings require the die roll. (I'm still undecided about the 'red bridges'.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your input on my first question. It does make sense to play it that way just hadn't before until I thought about it and so brought up the question.

Samuelw3 wrote:
Question 1:
Question 2: The other thing I wondered is if you draw a 'barbiarn raid' on the discarded card, does it count, or only the one you keep. I'm guessing both count.

I don't look at the discarded card so I don't know if it contains the barbarian raid symbol or not and thus do not count it. Not sure if that is right, just how I always played it.

Samuelw3 wrote:
Question 3: Where are the continental borders in your games?
Quote:
4) Anytime a player tries to move to another continent, the player must a roll a die to see if the move is successful. After you move your unit and roll a die, you compare your die roll to your level on the metallurgy track.
Definitely North South America, Australia are separate, but do you count water crossings from Africa to Europe? Do you also count land crossings? Do land bridges count?
I've played that any land crossings and land bridges are 'free'; but water zone crossings require the die roll. (I'm still undecided about the 'red bridges'.)

I count North and South America, Europe, Africa, and the Pacific Island land masses as a continent. I wasn't sure though where the line was between Europe and Asia and so I consider that one continent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.